Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2014, 01:45 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,270,459 times

Advertisements

I suddenly remembered something. Some years ago, the Kansas City Public Library system was wanting to separate from the Kansas City School District. Did they ever? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 03:06 PM

12,970 posts, read 13,718,310 times
About KCKPL

The Kansas City, Kansas Public Library is governed by the Board of Education of Unified School District #500. The board consists of seven members elected by the citizens of USD #500. About the Board of Education.

KCK or KCMO?

Old 03-29-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
About KCKPL

The Kansas City, Kansas Public Library is governed by the Board of Education of Unified School District #500. The board consists of seven members elected by the citizens of USD #500. About the Board of Education.

KCK or KCMO?
Ah, no. I meant KCMO. Did I hit a wrong button? The Kansas City, MO, library system was at one time wanting to separate from the KCMO Board of Education and become an independent entity, I moved away at about that time and never knew - still don't - what the outcome was.

Thank you anyway. Sorry about that.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:26 PM

12,970 posts, read 13,718,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Ah, no. I meant KCMO. Did I hit a wrong button? The Kansas City, MO, library system was at one time wanting to separate from the KCMO Board of Education and become an independent entity, I moved away at about that time and never knew - still don't - what the outcome was.

Thank you anyway. Sorry about that.
No problem ,
I always knew the Kansas City Kansas library was governed by a board selected by the School district, I was not aware if the Kansas City Missouri system was too.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
No problem ,
I always knew the Kansas City Kansas library was governed by a board selected by the School district, I was not aware if the Kansas City Missouri system was too.
It was and may still be for all I know. There was much disagreement about the building which had originally belonged to the library but the School District used most floors. School District didn't want to lose that building. When and how the two became one, I do not know.

That's the story I had been told. I can not verify it. But the library didn't feel they were getting a fair shake from the School District and wanted to separate. There are others who know the truth of the matter far better than I. I was hoping someone here would be able to say.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:00 AM

210 posts, read 429,875 times
I thought the KCMO Library was run by its own board, run by the Kempers.

Library Board of Trustees | Kansas City Public Library
http://www.pitch.com/kansascity/life...nt?oid=2192337

Old 03-31-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPete View Post
I thought the KCMO Library was run by its own board, run by the Kempers.

Library Board of Trustees | Kansas City Public Library
http://www.pitch.com/kansascity/life...nt?oid=2192337
Aha! There we are. Following your link I read the history and found this:

"In 1960, it moved to a newly constructed "space age" facility at 311 E. 12th St., which it shared with the school district. By the 1980s, it became clear that the Library system could better serve the public, and better align itself with other metropolitan library systems, by separating from the school district. In 1988, this move came to fruition and the Library established itself as an independent taxing authority."

So, that is what I am remembering and thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: