Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 03:07 PM

4 posts, read 3,893 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody,

I recently got a job offer in the KC metro area, and am beginning to look into good places to live. I would like to spend around $800 on rent. I will be working in Leawood/South OP but would like to live in a more thriving and busy part of town where other young professionals are (I am 23). With this said, I would still like to limit my commute to no more than 20-25 minutes. Its been a couple years since somebody posted a similar thread so I'd like to see if anyone's opinions have changed, etc. I've heard westport/midtown is a good place for a more eccentric area with bars/clubs/restaurants...is this still true? What about downtown- there seems to be a lot of cool new modern apartments that were newly built/renovated...so would downtown also be a good area for a young professional? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Also would someone mind telling me where these locations lie streetwise? Like is Westport/Midtown considered south of 31st street, west of main street, north of westport rd, and east of state line road?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 07:40 PM

377 posts, read 571,756 times
Since you're going to be in Leawood/south OP, you might want to consider two areas farther south: Waldo and West Plaza. Waldo is going to put you closer to your workplace than any other 'hood that also features plenty of bars and restaurants. The only downside is that Waldo is mostly families, so that vibe might not fly for you. West Plaza is a cute neighborhood of hipsters, musicians, etc. just west of Country Club Plaza, as the name suggests. Small houses, near to the Plaza, great vibe. It's also an easy drive from there to Shawnee Mission Parkway, which takes you to I-35 for your commute.

Westport is a separate neighborhood from Midtown, and is south of 39th, west of main, and east of State Line. Great area, lots of young people, fantastic bar, club, food and music scene. Don't know how long your commute would be from there, though.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:40 AM

131 posts, read 185,604 times
The commute from Westport should still be round 20-25 minutes. I feel you should be able to get away with living downtown and the Rivermarket or really any part of the city that hugs state line and still have a relatively short commute to Leawood.

Other locations that to look at that hug stateline are the west plaza area, 39th Street West (this is a bit northwest of the Westport area), as pacific said Waldo.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:40 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,814,293 times
Pretty much agree with the above and here's a city guide of the core to get an idea...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...bus/maxmwk.gif

Old 06-29-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwhim View Post
Since you're going to be in Leawood/south OP, you might want to consider two areas farther south: Waldo and West Plaza. Waldo is going to put you closer to your workplace than any other 'hood that also features plenty of bars and restaurants. The only downside is that Waldo is mostly families, so that vibe might not fly for you. West Plaza is a cute neighborhood of hipsters, musicians, etc. just west of Country Club Plaza, as the name suggests. Small houses, near to the Plaza, great vibe. It's also an easy drive from there to Shawnee Mission Parkway, which takes you to I-35 for your commute.

Westport is a separate neighborhood from Midtown, and is south of 39th, west of main, and east of State Line. Great area, lots of young people, fantastic bar, club, food and music scene. Don't know how long your commute would be from there, though.
Thank you for your responses everybody! I'm new to this site and and as I'm learning how to navigate it, I now realize there have been plenty of posts about young professionals relocating to KC so I apologize. Reading more and more about Westport, I am thinking that would be the best fit for me. Pacificwhim, thank you for distinctly telling me where Westport lies...but what street is its southern boundary? 47th street? Any specific suggestions for apartments within Westport that would be in my $800 budget range? I would love to spend less than $800 but do want to live in an apartment somewhat more modernized.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:42 PM

6,835 posts, read 11,583,309 times
There's no sign saying "you are now leaving Westport." Maybe 43rd Street as southern boundary?

Old 06-29-2014, 10:30 PM

131 posts, read 185,604 times
I'd say 43rd and then Stateline as a western boundary, Main as an Eastern, and 39th or Valentine as a North?

Old 07-07-2014, 06:11 PM

8 posts, read 9,039 times
I am moving to the plaza westport area from Philly next month and have heard great things about the city

Old 07-09-2014, 03:20 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,814,293 times
If the job is near I435, it might actually be faster to get there from downtown via I35 or 71 hwy than midtown/Plaza through local streets - just depends.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:18 PM

thank you for everyone's responses! I think I found a place I like in Midtown (I think?)...its on broadway between 38th and 36th. I have seen on some of the threads say that 39th and broadway can be a bit sketchy...is this still true? Would people consider walking to Westport/back home from Westport dangerous since I'd be crossing that area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City