Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 06:48 PM

91 posts, read 250,769 times

Advertisements

What did the cities with thriving "urban core" do with all of the undesirables that inhabited the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 07:02 PM

404 posts, read 457,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper View Post
What did the cities with thriving "urban core" do with all of the undesirables that inhabited the area?
The plaza is the most urban part of kc

Old 09-12-2014, 07:23 PM

495 posts, read 778,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauidreemn View Post
And claiming that the Plaza is urban is absurd

If the Plaza isn't urban then what is it? You do realize it was developed in the 1920's? It's a very unique part of Kansas City and probably one of the most desirable and expensive areas to live in KC.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:43 PM

63 posts, read 87,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
If the Plaza isn't urban then what is it? You do realize it was developed in the 1920's? It's a very unique part of Kansas City and probably one of the most desirable and expensive areas to live in KC.
Therefore, that makes it urban? So expensive and desirable equate urban renewal? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the Plaza but I disagree that it is desirable or urban with it's chain stores.

Have you been to the Children's Museum in St. Louis? That is urban renewal at its finest.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:47 PM

404 posts, read 457,225 times
Sorry. I quoted the wrong person. I meant to quote mauidreemn.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Therefore, that makes it urban? So expensive and desirable equate urban renewal? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the Plaza but I disagree that it is desirable or urban with it's chain stores.

Have you been to the Children's Museum in St. Louis? That is urban renewal at its finest.

So I guess you live in St. Louis? No I haven't been to children's museum, actually I've never heard of it. But I do think the Plaza is a desirable place to live. Just because there are chain restaurants, doesn't take away from the architectural significance and popularity of the area.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:13 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Quote:
And claiming that the Plaza is urban is absurd
The plaza is very urban. Even by east coast standards, let alone midwest standards. What do chain stores have to do with anything. Most urban areas around DC have a much higher percent of chain stores than the plaza.

KC has many problems when it comes to urban development, but the plaza is one of the best truly mixed use urban neighborhoods in the midwest, if not the country. Many cities have tired to duplicate the plaza, but you just can't duplicate a neighborhood that has developed for over a century. The plaza is one of the reasons Downtown has struggled. (however both the plaza and downtown should be seeing more development today then they do).

You don't think this is urban? What is urban to you, village west?

Last edited by kcmo; 09-12-2014 at 08:36 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 08:27 PM

Always love your pics kcmo.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
So I guess you live in St. Louis? No I haven't been to children's museum, actually I've never heard of it. But I do think the Plaza is a desirable place to live. Just because there are chain restaurants, doesn't take away from the architectural significance and popularity of the area.
Yikes! I never said the architectural qualities aren't significant. I love the Plaza but it isn't urban. Get out of KC and maybe get a passport and you will know what I mean. And I don't say that with any disrespect at all. I love KC

Old 09-12-2014, 08:36 PM

You jest? Seriously? No one on the east coast would ever consider the plaza urban.

Urban to me is renewal of structures, communities and ethnicities already there. KC Plaza is not urban. It is a conglomerate of chain stores like Pottery Barn and Ann Taylor Loft. I can't think of anyone in this world that would think that KC Plaza is urban. And I love the Plaza
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City