Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 01:22 PM

9 posts, read 37,595 times

Advertisements

My son is finishing up his college career and has accepted a position with Cerner starting in July. He asked if I would help in researching KC. He and I are heading to Kansas City in May to apartment shop and see the area. He was raised in a suburb of Houston (doesn't like the big city)and has loved living in a small college town in Oklahoma these last 4 years. He wants to live around young professionals and have access to outdoor activities and a night social scene. We would appreciate any advice on areas to live and to stay away from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 04:50 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times
There are a lot of Cerner employees who live in an apartment complex near the Cerner building in North Kansas City. Seems like they work and play together. I don't remember the name of the complex, but I'm sure someone here does. There was someone else posting here several months ago wondering about housing for her daughter, who had also just accepted a job with Cerner. You might search for that thread as I am sure the information would apply to your son as well.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:44 PM

luzianne, thank you. I will search for the thread.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:44 PM

109 posts, read 308,392 times
When I was a new hire at Cerner, I lived in Wild Oak near 152. Bunch or Cerner folks there, as well as Barrywoods.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:48 PM

He doesn't need to worry about a social scene based on where he lives. Cerner start groups are tight communities that do everything together, especially outside of work. He'll have plenty to do!

Old 04-19-2013, 08:55 AM

Nullterm, Thank you for taking the time to share your info. We greatly appreciate it!

Old 04-19-2013, 12:56 PM

35 posts, read 138,662 times
Important thing is to know which location he'll be working at. A lot of folks are moving over to the campus at Legends soon. I have seen some people move to one side of the city, only to realize they're working at a campus on the other side.. He just needs to confirm with his recruiter if he does not already know. And like nullterm said, getting involved in the social life is pretty easy at Cerner.. a very strong social scene among the younger crowd since there are so many recent grads incoming. Regardless what apartment he chooses, he'll met some Cerner people there. I will say though, I see a lot of the younger 20's moving into the plaza area or downtown.

PS - Hope that "small college town" is Stillwater

Old 04-19-2013, 02:04 PM

Ahhhh, good point poke17. I left before they had opened the South/Bannister campus or the soon-to-be West/Legends campus. All three are definitely on very different sides of town!

Other nice apartment complexes that have a lot of young Cerner tenants and are near the night life are City Place in Westport and Fountain View on the Plaza. You pay a bit of a premium, but with that new salary you won't notice it...

Old 04-19-2013, 08:37 PM

Poke17, yes, he is a OSU Cowboy..Go Pokes! When he was recruited he was told that the finance people are in the main campus but I will suggest that he confirms this again. Thank you so much for bringing this issue to the forefront. We greatly appreciate your's and Nullterm's suggestions on living locations.
As far as premium living with his new salary, like all new graduates, I think he is quickly discovering that the new salary might not go as far as he was thinking it would I know I will enjoy getting my raise when he gets off my payroll.. This form has been a blessing by educating us both on new expenses such as a city income tax, property tax on automobiles and state income tax in 2 states if he works in one and lives in the other. I have been searching for a website that explains how to register a car and pay the appropriate car property tax. Can anyone direct me in this area?

Old 04-20-2013, 03:20 PM

47 posts, read 95,451 times
Default son moving and working at Cerner

Hi,
Sorry I have not gotten back sooner. I had much trouble getting on to this site, have not used it for awhile, but it is an excellent and very helpful site! Everyone gave very helpful responses to you, as I got when I asked last summer. I appreciated all the help immensely! I certainly wanted to get back with you, sorry it is late. I did much research for my daughter since she is very busy. I had her almost convinced that an apartment in North Kansas, Crossing at Barrywood was the best because of the pool, community events, opportunities to meet others, and quite a few younger Cerner folks lived there. In fact a realtor I was working with recommended that because of the Cerner folks and community events. My daughter was amazed when she first saw the video, and it is a nice place. But she went on Craig's list, and found a house in Westport that she absolutely loves, and for half the price. It is $425.00 for rent and all utilities, which is about half the cost of the apt. complexes. She has her own bedroom in a 3 bedroom house. She interviewed the other girls very carefully. It is around U of Kansas Medical school, one of her roommates goes there, and she ended up having most of her friends from the medical school and her favorite church right across the street-Jacobs Well. There are many young adults there, she loved it, taught Sunday school. She recommends West Port, Plaza, or downtown for young adults and social life, not North Kansas. She is not a night-life person-- volunteeres, church, museums. She absolutely loves the outdoors, and KCMO had none of that for her. The parks were just very small. She was extremely disappointed. IF she had gone to the Ozarks that would have been better, but a drive. She is a hiker,backpacker, canoer-and could do none of that in KCMO. She did find a place for her daily runs, cross country runner. With Cerner they are very friendly folks, positive environment, loved her supervisor, but she thought her job would be different, and and decided the business world was not for her. She is moving to San Jose to do Teach for America, and is looking forward to the outdoor opportunities. That is one of the reasons she selected the area. I hope this, with all the other excellent comments helped you. If there are any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!!! Karen Walters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City