Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 8,570 times

Advertisements

I want to buy a new car and I know there is a sales tax, after this year what percent of the car do I pay personal tax on, I have heard some people tell me its really exspensive to pay that when its time. I am new to here and really dont know what to do.
If someone could help that would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 06:25 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,381,724 times
It depends on the sales tax rate where you reside, not where you buy the car. And sales tax is due when registering the car with tags. Average sales tax is around 6 to 8 percent.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:09 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Sounds like you are talking about personal property taxes? It depends on how much the car is worth and where you live. Property taxes are a bit lower in some areas than others. I can't give you an answer because I don't know where you live or the kind of car you have. I know we averaged about $400-700 a year for two relatively newer model vehicles.

It's so nice not having personal property taxes any more!

Old 06-30-2010, 03:22 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
You should be able to call your county assessors' office and give them year, make and # of cylinders and they can tell you what the personal property taxes will be. Remember that you pay PP taxes in December based on what you owned on January 1. So if you bought the car today
(or anytime before January 1, 2011), you won't be paying PP tax on it until December 2011.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:52 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Personal Tax

Missouri Department of Revenue

Old 10-07-2014, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,966 times
Due to loss of employment and illness in 2012, I was unable to pay my personal property tax. Thank God my car is paid off, or I would have lost my only means of transportation! Due to penalties and interest, I have been unable to pay my taxes since then - they must be paid in a lump sum, and the state will not accept any partial payments. What a shame that I have to drive illegally in order to get to work - simply because of governmental greed. My goodness, I do despise the state of Missouri!

Old 10-09-2014, 09:59 AM

978 posts, read 2,052,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwoman View Post
Due to loss of employment and illness in 2012, I was unable to pay my personal property tax. Thank God my car is paid off, or I would have lost my only means of transportation! Due to penalties and interest, I have been unable to pay my taxes since then - they must be paid in a lump sum, and the state will not accept any partial payments. What a shame that I have to drive illegally in order to get to work - simply because of governmental greed. My goodness, I do despise the state of Missouri!
Personal property tax is collected by the county. I'm not sure if they block registration renewal if you owe taxes. I'm sure they might eventually turn it over to collections.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:17 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Personal property tax is collected by the county. I'm not sure if they block registration renewal if you owe taxes. I'm sure they might eventually turn it over to collections.
You have to provide proof that you have paid your PP taxes in order to renew your registration. No way around it.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:59 PM

978 posts, read 2,052,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
You have to provide proof that you have paid your PP taxes in order to renew your registration. No way around it.
Forgot about that. I wish Missouri would join the 21st century to make it easier to renew online. My county's tax records are never available online, so I have to end up bringing all that paper to the license office in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City