Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:29 PM

5 posts, read 36,559 times

Advertisements

I am a Kansas City native, and I lived in Independence for 3 1/2 years and loved it! It's less expensive than Lee's Summit and Blue Springs but you want to on the East side of Crysler. I lived off of 291hwy and 23rd st, which is central to the Independence Center, several bank branches, Target, Walmart, restaurants and gas stations etc, the only time I really came to into the city was for work or to a club. You didn't mention where you were going to be working, but there are nice areas that are in the city as well, Brookside, Waldo and some parts of South Kansas City. There are a ton of homes for sale on Wornall and 119th. Alot of the older couples are moving to retirement communities and smaller homes. I was looking in the Examiner the other day and found a house for rent that had 3 bedrooms and 2 bath for $ 750/month. Sugar Creek is another area that is on the Northeastern side of Independence. Independence is a small town and has a small town feel, the downtown area is something out of an old western, but it is far from Barney Fiff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 11:35 PM

5 posts, read 36,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
How about Raytown? How are the schools there?
Raytown is very old, I have a friend that loves it and the schools but its a little to racist for my blood.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:10 AM

169 posts, read 678,777 times
Personally I'd stay away from Sugar Creek. I'm not sure how things are today but I know that a former refinery led to ground pollution and many were/still may be concerned about the health impacts this caused. It was a big deal when I was a kid but I don't know the facts of today. Definitely something to research before thinking about moving to the immediate area.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:04 AM

60 posts, read 223,100 times
Idependence is considered high meth area. Blue Springs, Lees Summit, or the far east part of Independence would be good choices. I live in the Noland/I-70 area and the last few years it's been going downhill. Businesses moving out and headed to the 39th/291 area. The school system use to be good but it's starting to head south also. The only good about Independence is that it's not KC. It's one step above it, but not by much.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:09 AM

19 posts, read 109,091 times
Default Independence, Mo?

It always helps if you let people know a few specifics, such as what area you will be commuting to, age of children, interests, etc.
Indep., Mo is cleaning up its act. I believe there is still some bond money for people that would like to buy and rehab one of the older historic homes in town. There are many new subdivisions going in and areas that are updating what already exists. You would really have to visit Indep. to decide for yourself if it is a good fit. I love the old hisotric areas but I could not live there. I have friends that have lived there all their lives and love it.
MissouriLady

Old 12-14-2006, 09:34 PM

16 posts, read 122,837 times
Thanks everyone for your insight into the area. I really appreciate hearing your opinions and was very pleasantly surprised to see that so many people had responded. MissouriLady asked for more specifics: I will be commuting to the old Marion Labs buildings (north of the Grandview Triangle). I have 4 children 10 yrs and younger. We are looking for a school with a good music program. We enjoy theater, music performances, camping, and shopping.

I am actually living in Kansas City alone while my family waits until school lets out for the year and I find a house (and maybe until our current home sells). Tomorrow I am looking at a 4 bedroom home in Blue Springs which is listed for at least 30k less than a similar sized home in Lee's Summit. I don't know if this is representative of the difference in price between Lee's Summit and Blue Springs. If the house is in good shape I'm likely to make an offer.

Last edited by Will; 12-14-2006 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: to elaborate

Old 12-15-2006, 08:31 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Coming from Blue Sprgs to the Triangle means a commute on I-470. Lot's of commuter traffic(big time for our area). Check out the Belton/Raymore area.
Great schools, housing of all price ranges, ample shopping and a variety of grocery stores and restaurants. A far better commute than from Blue Springs.
Stay away from Sugar Creek. VERY! VERY! racist over that way

Old 12-15-2006, 10:12 AM

4 posts, read 22,549 times
Tomorrow I am looking at a 4 bedroom home in Blue Springs which is listed for at least 30k less than a similar sized home in Lee's Summit. I don't know if this is representative of the difference in price between Lee's Summit and Blue Springs. If the house is in good shape I'm likely to make an offer.

Will,
I would encourage you to look in Independence (East Side). I have a home I've got list FSBO in the Blue Springs School District. It is located in one of the nicest areas in Independence (Milton Estates 39th & Lee's Summit Rd). Swing by and grab a flyer... then give me a call. -- Ryan

Old 12-15-2006, 02:07 PM

187 posts, read 1,022,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImLisin2u View Post
Will,
I would encourage you to look in Independence (East Side). I have a home I've got list FSBO in the Blue Springs School District. It is located in one of the nicest areas in Independence (Milton Estates 39th & Lee's Summit Rd). Swing by and grab a flyer... then give me a call. -- Ryan
If you are genuinely interested in helping Will out, you might want to explain why you would encourage him to look in east Independence instead of Blue Springs.

Instead, it sounds to me like you are more concerned about selling your home than you are in helping out Will.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 22,549 times
razzy,

The benefits of east Independence have been discussed in earlier posts. I felt it redunant to restate the proximity of shopping and entertainment, as well as the ease of travel with I-70 and 291Hwy close by. In addition, it has been stated that although the Independence area schools are not the best not all homes in East Independence are serviced by the Independence School District. In fact, I did mention that my home is in the Blue Spring School District which is slated as one of the best in the state.

Since Will stated his interest in the Blue Springs area and his interest in a home there, I felt he might want to consider having the best of both; Living in Independence while educating in Blue Springs.

I do apologize if my earlier post sounded self serving, but if I can help Will with relocating is it wrong for me to seek the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City