Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 12:27 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
I guess I wasn't very clear. The rendering you provided shows the stadium plopped directly on top of Oak St, cutting it off for two blocks. But it seems like if you shifted the site one block to the east then you wouldn't have to remove any significant rights of way.
Yea, I wasn't trying to be precise with the rendering. It's more to just give an idea how a ballpark in that area might tie into the rest of downtown. I see what you are saying though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 12:28 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauidreemn View Post
You didn't type this with a straight face.....right? I hope not because it's complete bs. We've been making a tour of US stadiums and this just isn't true and definitely not true for Denver.
If I understand you right, you're taking issue with denverian saying "In urban ballparks, there is no "sea" of parking surrounding the stadium", and that you believe that's not true.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:15 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
If I understand you right, you're taking issue with denverian saying "In urban ballparks, there is no "sea" of parking surrounding the stadium", and that you believe that's not true.
I'm on denverian's side here, that there generally is not a sea of parking surrounding urban ballparks. But there is one striking exception to this rule, and that's Dodger Stadium in Downtown LA. Ridiculous...

Last edited by rwiksell; 01-29-2015 at 01:23 PM..

Old 01-29-2015, 04:03 PM

I wouldn't call it downtown LA. It's on a bluff, very isloated from Downtown and surrounded by single family low density housing. It's a pain to drive to that stadium from Downtown LA, let alone walk. There are some stadiums in more urban areas with lots of parking. Philly, Mets etc.

But there are a lot more parks that are in very built up areas of central cities and Denver is one of them, even though there are some parking lots on the north side of the Coors.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:01 AM

I don't have much room to talk about LA, but my guess is that this site COULD BE part of downtown if all that parking wasn't there. The south corner of the lot is right at one mile from Grand Park, which by some accounts is at the heart of Downtown LA. If I was a resident nearby, I would lobby for at least half of this parking to be converted to parkland and added to Elysian Park. If I was a downtown developer, I'd be making offers on that land for commercial development that would more than pay for the Dodgers to replace it with some multi-story parking structures.

If it's isolated from downtown, it's LA's (or the Dodgers') own fault.

P.S. It's no farther from the center of downtown LA than the 20th & Oak location you suggest for a new Royals stadium is from 12th & Main in KC. And Philly's stadium is a lot more like the Truman Sports Complex, with multiple facilities sharing a huge parking lot. It's 6.5 miles from downtown, compared to TSC's 7.5 miles.

Last edited by rwiksell; 01-30-2015 at 07:09 AM..

Old 01-30-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
I don't have much room to talk about LA, but my guess is that this site COULD BE part of downtown if all that parking wasn't there. The south corner of the lot is right at one mile from Grand Park, which by some accounts is at the heart of Downtown LA. If I was a resident nearby, I would lobby for at least half of this parking to be converted to parkland and added to Elysian Park. If I was a downtown developer, I'd be making offers on that land for commercial development that would more than pay for the Dodgers to replace it with some multi-story parking structures.

If it's isolated from downtown, it's LA's (or the Dodgers') own fault.

P.S. It's no farther from the center of downtown LA than the 20th & Oak location you suggest for a new Royals stadium is from 12th & Main in KC. And Philly's stadium is a lot more like the Truman Sports Complex, with multiple facilities sharing a huge parking lot. It's 6.5 miles from downtown, compared to TSC's 7.5 miles.
I have been to games at both Dodgers and Phillies.

It's just the topography of the area. It's like Kemper arena. It's only a mile from downtown, but it may as well be in Mission KS as far as how it interacts with downtown KCMO. Same with Dodgers stadium.

Philly's stadiums are just like the KC Sports Complex. That's basically what I was saying. There are "some" urban stadiums with parking. Philly and LA are both great examples. But there are many more urban stadiums that blend into the fabric of downtowns.

BTW, Phillies stadiums may be about the same distance from the city center, but Philly's stadiums are in a very different area. They are right on the edge of very dense city neighborhoods and there is subway access. Even with all that parking, tons of people take the train or park in the neighborhoods and walk.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I have been to games at both Dodgers and Phillies.

It's just the topography of the area. It's like Kemper arena. It's only a mile from downtown, but it may as well be in Mission KS as far as how it interacts with downtown KCMO. Same with Dodgers stadium.

Philly's stadiums are just like the KC Sports Complex. That's basically what I was saying. There are "some" urban stadiums with parking. Philly and LA are both great examples. But there are many more urban stadiums that blend into the fabric of downtowns.

BTW, Phillies stadiums may be about the same distance from the city center, but Philly's stadiums are in a very different area. They are right on the edge of very dense city neighborhoods and there is subway access. Even with all that parking, tons of people take the train or park in the neighborhoods and walk.
I getcha. But it's still hard for me to think of Philadelphia's stadiums as "urban". They're much closer to urbanity than KC's stadiums, but you're sort of choosing to reject that moniker when you slap a square mile of parking between you and everything else in the city. If it's truly urban, in my mind, the value of that land is going to be WAAY too high to use for surface parking. Granted, there always needs to be at least a little surface parking. But nowhere near this much.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:49 AM

Are we arguing about something? If so, I'm not sure why. I think we are totally agreeing with each other for the most part. I didn't mean to say that Philly stadiums are urban. That's not what I meant. I guess my post was misunderstood. The stadiums are in an urban/industrial area (KC's are in a suburban/industrial area). But they are still in a gigantic parking lot. Same with LA. That's all I was saying. Phillies stadiums function about the same as KC's, although as I mentioned, more people take transit and there are places to walk to beyond the parking lots. Cordish is building some nonsense (canned entertainment district, ie smaller version of P&L District) in the parking lot of the stadiums which I'm sure will be popular on games days. It would be nice to KC did "something" with the parking lots or area around the stadiums. All this talk about a downtown kc stadium is fun, but it's NEVER going to happen in KC. That boat has sailed and even when the issues comes up again, people will want to keep the stadiums in a suburban location and by then, the available places to build downtown will probably be slim and the cost will still be way to high for KC residents to swallow.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:40 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Are we arguing about something? If so, I'm not sure why. I think we are totally agreeing with each other for the most part. I didn't mean to say that Philly stadiums are urban. That's not what I meant. I guess my post was misunderstood. The stadiums are in an urban/industrial area (KC's are in a suburban/industrial area). But they are still in a gigantic parking lot. Same with LA. That's all I was saying. Phillies stadiums function about the same as KC's, although as I mentioned, more people take transit and there are places to walk to beyond the parking lots. Cordish is building some nonsense (canned entertainment district, ie smaller version of P&L District) in the parking lot of the stadiums which I'm sure will be popular on games days. It would be nice to KC did "something" with the parking lots or area around the stadiums. All this talk about a downtown kc stadium is fun, but it's NEVER going to happen in KC. That boat has sailed and even when the issues comes up again, people will want to keep the stadiums in a suburban location and by then, the available places to build downtown will probably be slim and the cost will still be way to high for KC residents to swallow.
I love the smell of sensibility in the morning.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Are we arguing about something? If so, I'm not sure why. I think we are totally agreeing with each other for the most part.
Yep. Just splitting hairs for the sake of conversation, I guess. Slow day at work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City