Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 05:31 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times

Advertisements

Found this. Thought it was pretty cool. This would have been amazing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 07:16 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,461,099 times
On that note:

from 4 possible sites for Royals to play in downtown Kansas City - Kansas City Business Journal

Old 01-15-2015, 07:31 AM

495 posts, read 777,809 times
That's where the Flash Cube building is right? Since it's currently empty, I see no reason it still couldn't be a potential site. Unfortunately, I just don't see a huge push for it, unless the Cerner guys buy the Royals, and I'm not sure what their stance is on downtown ballparks. They will probably push for a ballpark in South KC or something.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:46 AM

I don't know about the flash cube building (but I think it's addressed in the article.)

It's hard for me to see anybody pushing for the Royals to leave east KC just to move to south KC. What would be gained by that? I don't think the city or the team would support it, even if Cerner thought it would make a cool addition to their master plan. (Unless, of course, they're offering to foot the entire bill, in which case even I might back the plan.)

Old 01-15-2015, 07:53 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Where is the parking in that picture? I don't see any.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:57 AM

By the time this gets built, no parking will be needed. Everyone will arrive by autonomous taxi.

I'm only half-joking.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:31 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
In urban ballparks, there is no "sea" of parking surrounding the stadium. When we go to games at Coors Field, we park at a LR station and take the train. Or there are city lots around where you can pay to park. I'm sure downtown KC has plenty of pay parking lots, but it certain helps in Denver that people can take the train to the stadium from different parts of the metro area. It's almost like things were planned that way

Old 01-15-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
That photo is just a fraction of the physical size of the truman sports complex, yet there is probably three times the parking. There are probably 10,000 parking spaces within just one block of that stadium in existing parking garages.

Kauffman uses 8-12k parking spaces out of the 25k available at the complex and you will likely have a much longer walk to most spaces at the TSC than downtown. Having people use 20 garages instead of one or two massive ones disperses the traffic out of downtown quicker and wait times to get out of the garages is much less.

Not that this location wouldn't present challenges. You do need some surface parking for buses and other large vehicles and for people that are just intimidated by garages. You also need some dedicated parking or day games would be impossible (garages being used by daytime employees). Also the streets and access to the freeway system would be terrible in this location creating massive gridlock. This would be a VERY urban location for a ballpark. I can only think of a couple of stadiums that would rival having so few surface lots nearby. DC would be one and even they have some surface lots, although they are quickly being developed. Most downtown stadiums have large surface lots within walking distance. Denver, Baltimore, San Diego, Boston etc have them tucked away on the other side of the stadium from the city. Minneapolis, St Louis, New York have huge garages. I mean, this KC location would be about as urban as you can get with it sandwiched between the CBD and River Market.

This is why I think the best location for a ballpark in KC would be the East Crossroads. A stadium there would be between all the parking, hotels and entertainment in Downtown, Crown Center and Crossroads yet there would still be room from some large surface lots and a dedicated garage to the east of the stadium and access to the freeways would be much better via multiple routes. In either location, walking from hotels and condos and taking transit is an option that does not exist at the TSC which would reduce the parking demand.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-15-2015 at 11:22 AM..

Old 01-15-2015, 11:38 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
That's the beauty of it....on the upside down priority list that inhabits the mind of the urbanist. In fact, that's the main purpose of the proposal. It is a stick in the eye to a trifecta of evil....automobiles, suburbanites, and sensibility.

That attendance in KC would be half of last year's within 5 years and fall fast from there, win or lose, is beside the point. The ideological mountain would be climbed and conquered and, after all, what else is there?

Old 01-15-2015, 12:46 PM

^ that's nice. Anyway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City