Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 06:09 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times

Advertisements

You know you're on City Data when a large amount of street capacity is somehow a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 06:20 PM

172 posts, read 154,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
He wasn't talking about how they LOOK, obviously. He was talking about people wanting to live in the suburbs; to live in a lower density area. I would say MOST people don't want to live in multi-family housing. For those who do, that's great. Build apartments and condos (which is just an apartment that you buy instead of rent), townhouses, etc. and go live down there and share walls, ceiling and floor with your neighbors.

I will stay out here in the suburbs, where I have my own space - a front yard, a back yard, a deck of my own that's not right next to my neighbor's deck, windows on the north, south, east and west of my house so I have a view in every direction. If I turn up my stereo or TV, the neighbors can't hear it.

I lived in a dorm and an apartment during college. Then I lived in urban areas where the house next door was about 10 feet away. No desire to go back to that.

I'm an older millennial that would love to live in something more dense than a single family home but less dense than a high rise. Your townhouse suggestion would be ideal for what I'm looking for. This option exists in KC, but it's so uncommon that a real estate agent will rightly steer one away, because it's a higher risk buy.

My experience isn't everyone's experience, but I got burned on a townhouse a number of years ago in KC. I loved my townhouse for the number of years it provided maintenance-free shelter, but ye gods was it hard to sell. It took many months and a steep price cut to finally cut it loose. It was in near perfect shape when it sold.

This goes back to the city's culture. Right or wrong, it's a low density city both in terms of zoning and mindset. For those that want medium density, I concluded KC is best overlooked until downtown builds out and some of the neighboring hoods revitalize. Until then, one can live in a quiet high rise community downtown, or do what everyone else does and live in a house. (I chose the latter, for now.)

Old 02-15-2016, 06:36 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
You know you're on City Data when a large amount of street capacity is somehow a bad thing.
The sound of normal is so good in a thread like this. +1, but I've gotta owe it to you.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:12 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
It facilitates far more sprawl and slows down redevelopment and investment in older build environments in the metro area. Not everyone prefers driving places that are spread out all the time either, a novel concept. You really think that large-scale redevelopment of older areas of Johnson County is going to magically happen or any other older areas of KC when developers make profits of inefficient new developments on further out agricultural fields? I thought so.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:53 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It facilitates far more sprawl and slows down redevelopment and investment in older build environments in the metro area. Not everyone prefers driving places that are spread out all the time either, a novel concept. You really think that large-scale redevelopment of older areas of Johnson County is going to magically happen or any other older areas of KC when developers make profits of inefficient new developments on further out agricultural fields? I thought so.
"I thought so"??? Modcut- watch your inflammatory remarks

If there was enough demand for redevelopment in the areas you mentioned, they would invest. You're welcome to invest all you want.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-16-2016 at 07:44 AM..

Old 02-16-2016, 07:15 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,479 times
Quote:
Modcut If you engage a few more of those suckers, you'll realize that building roads costs money. And building freeways costs serious money. When you're cruising up I-435W to the airport, and you can only see one or two other cars on a six lane road in the middle of the day, listen closely. That sound is your tax dollars flying away as fast as possible.

I find it hilarious that the same people who want tax cuts and smaller government also want new and wider roads out the wazoo.

Do you know how many crumbling roads and unsafe bridges we have in this country? A lot. Do you want to know why? Because we overbuilt. We built new and wider roads out the wazoo, then ran out of the funds we needed to maintain them for the sake of the handful of people who use them each day.

This is not even about urbanism or suburbanism. It's about arithmetic.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-16-2016 at 12:34 PM..

Old 02-16-2016, 07:53 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Modcut If you engage a few more of those suckers, you'll realize that building roads costs money. And building freeways costs serious money. When you're cruising up I-435W to the airport, and you can only see one or two other cars on a six lane road in the middle of the day, listen closely. That sound is your tax dollars flying away as fast as possible.

I find it hilarious that the same people who want tax cuts and smaller government also want new and wider roads out the wazoo.

Do you know how many crumbling roads and unsafe bridges we have in this country? A lot. Do you want to know why? Because we overbuilt. We built new and wider roads out the wazoo, then ran out of the funds we needed to maintain them for the sake of the handful of people who use them each day.

This is not even about urbanism or suburbanism. It's about arithmetic.
I wasn't even talking about KC overbuilt freeway system. Just go up in a tall building anywhere in downtown/crown center and look down. All you see is miles and miles of EMPTY streets. Even during the middle of a weekday and along the main drags like Grand and Broadway or almost completely empty. Downtown KC desperately needs a road diet. Widen sidewalks, add dedicated bike lines, add trees and other landscaping, but for the love of god, reduce the amount of lanes for cars. It will make KC more attractive, more inviting, more walkable, safer, etc etc.

KC needs urban bustle not pavement.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-16-2016 at 12:35 PM..

Old 02-16-2016, 09:23 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I wasn't even talking about KC overbuilt freeway system. Just go up in a tall building anywhere in downtown/crown center and look down. All you see is miles and miles of EMPTY streets. Even during the middle of a weekday and along the main drags like Grand and Broadway or almost completely empty. Downtown KC desperately needs a road diet. Widen sidewalks, add dedicated bike lines, add trees and other landscaping, but for the love of god, reduce the amount of lanes for cars. It will make KC more attractive, more inviting, more walkable, safer, etc etc.

KC needs urban bustle not pavement.
Yes, that too.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:59 AM

495 posts, read 778,450 times
Two Light officially kicks off.... Work begins on Two Light apartment tower | The Kansas City Star

Old 02-16-2016, 11:56 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
Nice to see. While not a huge building, this will really be a noticeable tower in the Downtown area due to its location. The Hyatt tower is likely to start going up around the same time, which will really change the skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City