Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 12:31 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times

Advertisements

This rendering was released this week for a proposed office tower for a surface parking lot next to the Sprint Center. The building was originally proposed to be ten stories and now it's 25-30 floors, which is a great sign for Downtown that there is interest in office space again.

I like it. It would contrast nicely with other downtown towers while complementing the Sprint Center without overdoing it. Plus, there are no modern towers east of Grand, so this would really stand out against the art deco 1930's towers that are east of grand.

Come on Cerner. Now is your chance to have a downtown presence. Lease some space in this and get it under construction!

Another proposed office tower and residential near the Kauffman Performing Arts Center.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-24-2015 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 12:56 PM

131 posts, read 184,987 times
This projects was pretty exciting before they added another 15-20 stories

Property Details | Copaken Brooks

I had a feeling that parking lot would be one of the first to go. And good thing.

That lot along with the ones east of downtown, and the almost never used ugly huge lot at 19th and mcgee are probably my most hated surface lots, and ones i've been wishing to disappear the most.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandthom View Post
This projects was pretty exciting before they added another 15-20 stories

Property Details | Copaken Brooks

I had a feeling that parking lot would be one of the first to go. And good thing.

That lot along with the ones east of downtown, and the almost never used ugly huge lot at 19th and mcgee are probably my most hated surface lots, and ones i've been wishing to disappear the most.
Yea, that's a high profile block.

Too bad that federal building was put on hold do to federal cutbacks. That would have been another 25 story office tower east of Grand. I have heard that it's not totally dead though and could still be built.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:09 PM

Speaking of east of Grand. Most of those parking lots would be gone if East Village is built out. They have opened one apartment building, I would think that they would start building others because downtown residential is so hot now. When this project was first proposed, downtown did not have near as much going on.

Here is what they want to do in that area. It would totally redevelop the east side of downtown, even without the federal building.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Speaking of east of Grand. Most of those parking lots would be gone if East Village is built out. They have opened one apartment building, I would think that they would start building others because downtown residential is so hot now. When this project was first proposed, downtown did not have near as much going on.

Here is what they want to do in that area. It would totally redevelop the east side of downtown, even without the federal building.

I was wondering what was happening with that. The one thats already up and its surrounding area definitely feels incomplete, this makes sense as to why.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I was wondering what was happening with that. The one thats already up and its surrounding area definitely feels incomplete, this makes sense as to why.
Yea, plus that development has a new developer now (Van Trust). Swope Development couldn't get it done. Between the new developers and downtown becoming a proven market, I see no reason why East Village wouldn't able to start additional phases.

Another vantage point of the proposed tower near the Sprint Center

Also, it looks like Cordish is about to kick things into high hear. Check this out:

Cordish reveals Two Light timeline, beckons convention center hotel | MetroWire Media

Sounds like they are really getting excited about Downtown KC all of the sudden. This article mentions that the second apartment tower will start construction this fall at 14th and Grand (also near Sprint Center). The article also mentions that Cordish wants a convention hotel downtown, so maybe they will make that happen as well. I have a feeling that Cordish may announce a hotel component of Two Light or Three Light, although that would make the tower at least 50-60 floors (315 apartments + 1000 hotel rooms), so maybe they will propose a separate tower for the hotel. Either way, I think Cordish will be announcing plans to be a part of some major hotel project soon.

With development taking off, maybe it's time to get the park built over I-670. That could be the next city funded project downtown.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-25-2015 at 01:02 PM..

Old 01-25-2015, 02:11 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,461,877 times
Yeah! Cap that interstate! Then re-designate all of I-670 as just I-70, and get rid of everything that's currently I-70 at the north edge of the loop, all the way to downtown KCK. Also, downgrade I-35 on the west edge of the loop to a parkway connecting to the Broadway Bridge. Bam!

Old 01-25-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yea, plus that development has a new developer now (Van Trust). Swope Development couldn't get it done. Between the new developers and downtown becoming a proven market, I see no reason why East Village wouldn't able to start additional phases.

Another vantage point of the proposed tower near the Sprint Center

Also, it looks like Cordish is about to kick things into high hear. Check this out:

Cordish reveals Two Light timeline, beckons convention center hotel | MetroWire Media

Sounds like they are really getting excited about Downtown KC all of the sudden. This article mentions that the second apartment tower will start construction this fall at 14th and Grand (also near Sprint Center). The article also mentions that Cordish wants a convention hotel downtown, so maybe they will make that happen as well. I have a feeling that Cordish may announce a hotel component of Two Light or Three Light, although that would make the tower at least 50-60 floors (315 apartments + 1000 hotel rooms), so maybe they will propose a separate tower for the hotel. Either way, I think Cordish will be announcing plans to be a part of some major hotel project soon.

With development taking off, maybe it's time to get the park built over I-670. That could be the next city funded project downtown.
If not a full out park and cover, I would at least like to see a partial cover. Something like The High Line, or the 11th Street Bridge Project in DC

Old 01-25-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
If not a full out park and cover, I would at least like to see a partial cover. Something like The High Line, or the 11th Street Bridge Project in DC
Yea. It really wouldn't be hard to do. The Convention Center already covers two block. All they need to do is cover the four blocks between Wyandotte and Grand. It's already a trench with high retaining walls.

I used to think that capping the south loop was not a priority because downtown needed so many other investments first, but most of that has been done and development is encroaching on both sides of the freeway. Downtown KC desperately needs some green space.

Here is what the Power & Light district could look like in as little as five or six years. I added the new Grand tower and the cordish towers (they want to have them all up by 2021). As I mentioned before, a hotel could also happen in this same area in the next few years. You will have to excuse my crude photoshop. I didn't have much to work with.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:17 AM

404 posts, read 456,928 times
^ wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City