Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 07:15 PM

13 posts, read 53,268 times

Advertisements

I am moving to KC to work at the new hospital in Independence next summer. We are looking for a larger house, at least 4 br and 3 car garage.
I have seen a few nice houses online in a subdivision called Saddleridge that is very close to the hospital right down 39th. My only concern is that the houses there, while very nice and pretty new, seem to be much higher in cost vs the rest of independence (we are looking in the 500-700k range). While that fact itself does not bother me and those houses are in our price range, I am concerned about the potential resale of a house that is in the top 1 or 2 percentile of a cities price range. Will people "balk" at buy a 700k house in independence vs that being more of the norm in, say, leawood.
I realize that this is quite far east and is barely independence (indeed, it is even blue springs schools)

Our other areas of interest are in North Lees summitt off of colbern rd, lakewood off woods chapel rd, and possibly in the northland around liberty cause I could shoot down 291 or 435 to the hospital. I dont want more than about a 25 or 30 min drive, and I occasionally will have to go to North Kansas city hospital too, although only about 5 or 10 percent of the time

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 09:07 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Welcome to KC! Centerpoint is nice, you will like it.

As far as Independence goes, I'm not sure you can go wrong with Saddleridge. From what I have heard it's high quality which can be hard to find, even in upper bracket homes.

Independence is a very diverse city. It has a lot of urban problems, it's rather large etc, so, don't let the stats freak you out. There is not a ton of upper bracket homes in the city of Independence, but the stuff they do have is nice and in nice areas with good schools and should appreciate just as well as anything since the area around Centerpoint is one of the hottest areas of the metro right now.

Very near Saddelridge is a brand new upscale development called Stone Canyon. You might check that out. Also in Idependence is an area called the Cliffs, just south of the new Falls development (Bass Pro) a more mature area but upscale. Independence will have lower taxes and utilities than Blue Springs or Lee's Summit. There is also a quiet little area along Little Blue just south of hwy 40 in Independence you should check out. High quality stuff in there, no cookie cutters, but very strict home owners association. Very nice area and right on the border of LS, Indep and BS.

If you do look outside of Independence, you don't have to go far. As you mentioned, the entire I-470 corridor has several upscale areas. Lakewood for sure or along the west side of the Jacomo Lake.

Lee's Summit also has lots of options out along Colbern, Blackwell, down along 3rd or way out south near Raintree. But honestly Lakewood (or that area) would be your best bet. There are more mature areas west of 470 and newer areas like Daltons Ridge east of 470.

Blue Springs may not offer too much in the 500's-700's. But if you look out south along the east side of the Lake Jacomo, you will find homes that go into the Millions. Awesome area.

One thing about Indep or even Lee's Summit, if you live in a 500k home, you are cream of the crop. Out south in Leawood, there is a lot more upscale homes, so you are more in the middle. It's also more crowed and you will have a longer drive. Out east there are more lakes and parks, so I guess it depends on what you want.

Out south is an area is driven by Sprint and Sprint is laying off by the 1000's. Keep that in mind

If you work at Centerpoint. There are some awesoe upscale areas in any of the three cities of BS, Indep and LS. Honestly, you won't go wrong.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-24-2008 at 09:22 PM..

Old 01-25-2008, 05:01 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
None of the places you mentioned are bad, but I personally would lean towards Lee's Summit.

Centerpoint is practically right across the street from the mall...woo hoo! I'd be shopping every day.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:43 PM

13 posts, read 53,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Very near Saddelridge is a brand new upscale development called Stone Canyon. You might check that out.
i heard through the grapevine that they are having some problems there with methane gas from the ground since it used to be a dump or something? Otherwise it would have been convienent too.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:02 AM

82 posts, read 275,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedoc2be View Post
I am moving to KC to work at the new hospital in Independence next summer. We are looking for a larger house, at least 4 br and 3 car garage.
I have seen a few nice houses online in a subdivision called Saddleridge that is very close to the hospital right down 39th. My only concern is that the houses there, while very nice and pretty new, seem to be much higher in cost vs the rest of independence (we are looking in the 500-700k range). While that fact itself does not bother me and those houses are in our price range, I am concerned about the potential resale of a house that is in the top 1 or 2 percentile of a cities price range. Will people "balk" at buy a 700k house in independence vs that being more of the norm in, say, leawood.
I realize that this is quite far east and is barely independence (indeed, it is even blue springs schools)

Our other areas of interest are in North Lees summitt off of colbern rd, lakewood off woods chapel rd, and possibly in the northland around liberty cause I could shoot down 291 or 435 to the hospital. I dont want more than about a 25 or 30 min drive, and I occasionally will have to go to North Kansas city hospital too, although only about 5 or 10 percent of the time

Thanks
I disagree with KCMO a little bit. There are actually a number of homes in the 1 million + bracket in Lee's Summit normally and tons in the range you are shopping in. You should have no problem getting rid of a house in that price range if you need to.

Lee's Summit is by far the most well to do suburb in Eastern Jackson County and the fastest growing. It's currently the "in" place in that region of the metro. If I were interested in buying a place in suburban Jackson County as an investment then Lee's Summit would definitely be where I'd buy. I hear Greenwood is getting pretty hot as well but I really haven't checked into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City