Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:56 PM

53 posts, read 67,041 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

We are moving from St. Louis to the beautiful city of KC in 9 short days. We have been to the area 4 times in the past 2 months, but only on short stints, mainly trying to secure housing to go along with my new job opportunity in the area. Fortunately, we found a really nice place in the northland last week, so things are moving pretty smoothly so far!

What are some family friendly places you all may recommend for a young family? My wife and I are nearing 30, and we have two girls, 3 and 6 years old. Maybe family friendly restaurants and kid friendly attractions?

Also, being that I spent the bulk of my teens and 20s living is St. Louis, I gain the majority of my friends during my school years. This may be a strange question, but what are good ways of making friends as adults? It comes so naturally as a kid/teen, but when you're old like me, and you got two totally energetic kids to worry about, don't really think about it too much (except when you're moving away from a place you've known for the last 15 or so years).

Thanks in advance for any advice, and we can't wait to make Kansas City our new home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 07:46 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
first, what kind of things do you like? What do you want the kids to be active in doing? I'd ask what they like, but at those ages, they'll pretty much like anything that seems exciting.

Up in northland, I like the lime creek trail, and ice rink. Could get the kids to learn to ice skate. It's somewhat unique in the midwest

Old 04-21-2015, 07:54 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
You've got two great friend-makers, your kids! You should have plenty of opportunities to meet other parents as your kids get involved with school and other activities.

I have been blasted in the past for this suggestion, but I always recommend getting involved with a church. It's a great place to meet nice people. I don't attend there, but Pleasant Valley Baptist in Liberty is huge and has lots and lots of young families.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:55 PM

They are pretty much into anything, especially the older one. My wife and I enjoy outdoor type activities. We did spend some time at Crown Center on our first visit, so we got to experience Sea Life. The kids loved it. We wanted to go to the ice rink in St. Louis this past winter, but we all seemed to get sick back to back! I think they would enjoy that though. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2015, 07:58 PM

Okey dokie, we have talked about that as well. We haven't been to church in a long while, but made an agreement that it's something we are going to be more dedicated to doing once we get settled in. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2015, 07:59 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
I would second the ice rink. Line Creek Community Center has a fantastic rink. I'm an adult ( obviously) and actually took adult learn to skate lessons there. Lots of families there and the kids love it.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:02 PM

Thanks bluefox! My wife and I haven't hit the ice since 2006. It would definitely be a great family fun activity!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:33 PM

377 posts, read 569,867 times
Line Creek trail is a winner, especially in the summer and fall with bikes. You can hike forever. You're not far from two amusement parks, Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun. If you venture south of the river, you can hit Union Station and Science City, and Crown Center's attractions. Kids love Fritz's, where model trains deliver your food to your table. If you want to venture even farther south, try Reading Reptile bookstore on 63rd. It's a pure children's bookstore and it's magic.

Good luck!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:47 PM

Thank you for the great suggestions. We visited Fritz's for lunch when we visited the first time. It was a unique dining experience for sure. Reading Reptile sounds like the place to go...my 6 year old is obsessed with reading!

Old 04-21-2015, 09:22 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
parkville has sms beagle for a science store, more for when they are older, middle/high school but something to keep in mind. They have programs for kids I think, to teach science (astronomy/chemistry I think mostly, maybe some ecology/biology) I saw flyers for it but don't have more info on it, I wasn't interested in playing with kids

there's a few softball/volleyball leagues up north now that spring/summer is coming around. More for you guys and not the kids . Well, kids in that I think they are mostly 20s in the league
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City