Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 11:27 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

New population estimates are out for 2017.

KC metro population remains steady, St. Louis drops in rank | The Kansas City Star

Funny how the KC Star is more worried about the St Louis numbers than KC's lol.

Missouri side still adding considerably more people than the Kansas side, so that good .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 11:42 AM

46 posts, read 71,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
New population estimates are out for 2017.

KC metro population remains steady, St. Louis drops in rank | The Kansas City Star

Funny how the KC Star is more worried about the St Louis numbers than KC's lol.

Missouri side still adding considerably more people than the Kansas side, so that good .
I enjoy your posts overall but I have to laugh at your anti-Kansas schtick. You are a perfect example of Missouri side of the state line arrogance. Constantly crap on KS and specifically JoCo then complain when JoCo residents don't want to help foot the bill for KCMO projects. Talk about how horrible the people are in JoCo then say, "well they're just so arrogant over there". Its comical.

I grew up in Kansas but not in the KC Metro area. I've lived in KCMO for 8 years and I've never lived on the KS side of KC unless you count Lawrence. Just something that I've noticed from living in and working in KCMO for almost a decade is you hear about how awful JoCo is and how arrogant the people are but you really don't see nearly the same arrogance from the KS side imo. The Missouri side of the state line is just as divisive and combative if not more so than the Kansas side. This is just my experience and I'd like to think I'm pretty impartial considering my love for KCMO.

I don't think KCMO residents would like what would happen to their city if Kansans stopped spending money on the MO side.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:36 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker434 View Post
I enjoy your posts overall but I have to laugh at your anti-Kansas schtick. You are a perfect example of Missouri side of the state line arrogance. Constantly crap on KS and specifically JoCo then complain when JoCo residents don't want to help foot the bill for KCMO projects. Talk about how horrible the people are in JoCo then say, "well they're just so arrogant over there". Its comical.

I grew up in Kansas but not in the KC Metro area. I've lived in KCMO for 8 years and I've never lived on the KS side of KC unless you count Lawrence. Just something that I've noticed from living in and working in KCMO for almost a decade is you hear about how awful JoCo is and how arrogant the people are but you really don't see nearly the same arrogance from the KS side imo. The Missouri side of the state line is just as divisive and combative if not more so than the Kansas side. This is just my experience and I'd like to think I'm pretty impartial considering my love for KCMO.

I don't think KCMO residents would like what would happen to their city if Kansans stopped spending money on the MO side.
Kansas would have next to zero population growth if it wasn't for Johnson County, and the high out-migration of people leaving the state every year.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker434 View Post

No offence , but sorry. JoCo has done nothing but hurt KCMO and if they could, they would stop everything that's happening downtown in order to have the development instead. If Kansas could pay Cordish enough money to walk away from downtown and do their projects in Lenexa or KCK or Overland Park, they would do it in a heartbeat.

Urban KCMO, the Northland and even the MO side suburbs are doing just fine and trust me, after Union Station, nobody will ask for help from Kansas again and they shouldn't. They don't need it. Just charge them more to use it. Pretty simple. Works well with the KC Zoo.

For the record, this is mostly from a government standpoint. City, county and state leaders. Individual residents of JoCo don't have the same hostility toward the MO side as much anymore. Actually, KCMO is probably taking a great deal of young people from JoCo today. But that doesn't change things because when it comes to regional cooperation, JoCo and Kansas are still mostly just a huge thorn in the side of KCMO.

It is what it is.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:08 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Multifamily projects can account for big rises and falls in permits, since just 1 project can have hundreds of units. When you look at these numbers you might want to look just at SF permits, since it's not going to be as volatile.
kcmo has never let the facts get in the way of his bashing Kansas iand Johnson County. I heard it being discussed the other day that Zona Rosa is only at 60% occupancy and now the taxpayers are probably going to be on the hook and they can do that without approval from the taxpayers.

http://fox4kc.com/2018/01/24/zona-ro...-in-a-row/amp/

Adding more and more people is supposed to be a plus? I enjoy the quality of life in the Johnson County suburbs precisely because it doesn’t have the density that Kansas City, Missouri has. Give me great schools, low crime, trees, grass, parks and a nice house on some land over a high-rise in the city any day.

Kansas City has historically looked to Johnson County for money. kcmo must be forgetting that it was a bi-state tax that Johnson County also approved to restore Union Station. So no, it could not and would not have been done without help and revenue from Johnson County and revenue for Union Station still largely comes from Johnson County. How convenient for kcmo to say that since Union Station Kansas City, Missouri will never need help from Johnson County again.

Last edited by luzianne; 03-24-2018 at 07:56 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 06:05 PM

Huh?, I just posted facts or at least estimates from a trusted source. The MO side is growing considerably faster than the KS side. That's been the case now for many years.

Not sure what your point is with Zona Rosa or why that has anything to do with anything in this thread. Yes the county backed the bonds. That's not the same as the county building zona rosa, but if it fails, the county is on the hook, so it's nearly as bad.

And you completely missed the point on Union Station. JoCo leaders and residents have done nothing but complain about that bistate tax since it was implemented and during the entire process of the renovation. Blaming the city of KCMO for problems that came up when the city of KCMO had nothing to do with the renovation of the station and most of the problems that did come up with due to the people running the project, most of whom where from JoCo. JoCo also acted as if they were the sole contributer to the project as if they were the only county in the region with the money to contribute.
It was a pretty amazing thing to do a bistate tax, but most people would rather not do it again. MO side leaders really just don't want to deal with it again and I don't think they need to. It would be awesome and I'm sure the MO side would welcome legitimate cooperation from the KS side on regional issues. But it's just not likely. Just do your own things and move on. That's just how KC will forever do things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City