Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 05:14 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times

Advertisements

Poached? That word just needs to be relegated to an urban dictionary exclusively with a picture of the Kansas City metro area attached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:54 PM

4 posts, read 4,180 times
You know , I first came on this site as a way to find out about possible subdivisions research when moving back to KC after over ten years away. I could care less about state lines. In the time I spent reading tons of threads it is abundantly clear that a very small minority of the KC metro has taken over the site and decided if you don't live on the MO side then you are part of the problem. This really discourages new possible movers, some of the threads movers from out of state start have seriously devolved into bashing based in people never even living in the actual suburb. It is quite telling that the most vocal here no longer actually live in KC and even comment about how it was 20 years ago.

I can tell you after living all throughout the east coast, including several of the best suburbs of NYC and Connecticut that none compare to KC and JOCO. It is so much cleaner, nicer people, so much less expensive and generally more enjoyable as a place to live. For those our there looking for real guidance, do not listen to these crazy people bashing KS and JOCO that have moved out of the area.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:09 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emveel View Post
You know , I first came on this site as a way to find out about possible subdivisions research when moving back to KC after over ten years away. I could care less about state lines. In the time I spent reading tons of threads it is abundantly clear that a very small minority of the KC metro has taken over the site and decided if you don't live on the MO side then you are part of the problem. This really discourages new possible movers, some of the threads movers from out of state start have seriously devolved into bashing based in people never even living in the actual suburb. It is quite telling that the most vocal here no longer actually live in KC and even comment about how it was 20 years ago.

I can tell you after living all throughout the east coast, including several of the best suburbs of NYC and Connecticut that none compare to KC and JOCO. It is so much cleaner, nicer people, so much less expensive and generally more enjoyable as a place to live. For those our there looking for real guidance, do not listen to these crazy people bashing KS and JOCO that have moved out of the area.
Excellent post.

I first came to this site 8 years ago as part of research I was doing about a possible Idaho move. But since I had lived in Lenexa, Overland Park, and Shawnee in the 70s and 80s, I naturally looked at the KC forum to see what was being said about my former home. And I found the same thing you have and had the same reaction. For the bashing was already underway in October 2007, led by the same key players that lead it today.

You're absolutely right. The "border war" nonsense that has polluted this forum for all of these years is a disservice to potential new movers and should have been nipped in the bud a long, long time ago.

Your last sentence should be stickied at the top of this forum. If I've said it once, I've said it 500 times.

Thank you for saying it again.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:42 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:

You are correct! Unfortunately there are a few who still live in the worn-out past of the border wars between MO and KS attributed to the Civil Wars days when KS was against slavery.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:10 AM

404 posts, read 456,755 times
Really? A Jo County supporter who wants to pretend like Jo County is a great metro area partner? Go figure!

Who's says its not one of many great kc area suburbs to live in? Its a nice enough place much like any other newer suburb in the USA but Jo County has done great harm to kc and those of us from there resent that.

It looks like only the those butt hurt about the facts that don't want to hear the real story behind Jo county are the only people that are bothered.

It doesn't matter anyway as it appears more people are choosing the Missouri side now which is better for the future of the metro. And the east coast has plenty of nice suburbs, actually nicer if you actually like beautiful topography.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:26 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Really? A Jo County supporter who wants to pretend like Jo County is a great metro area partner? Go figure!

Who's says its not one of many great kc area suburbs to live in? Its a nice enough place much like any other newer suburb in the USA but Jo County has done great harm to kc and those of us from there resent that.

It looks like only the those butt hurt about the facts that don't want to hear the real story behind Jo county are the only people that are bothered.

It doesn't matter anyway as it appears more people are choosing the Missouri side now which is better for the future of the metro. And the east coast has plenty of nice suburbs, actually nicer if you actually like beautiful topography.
Yep, it's about how JoCo interacts with rest of metro. People that support JoCo will never see that.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:44 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Have worked on both sides of the state line and never heard anyone on the KS side put down MO, it's the folks on the MO side who seem to want to continue with the worn-out drivel.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:20 PM

684 posts, read 790,823 times
Quote:

Um. Okay. Very exaggerating, but then again, what do you expect from people who are trying to defend JoCo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Excellent post.

I first came to this site 8 years ago as part of research I was doing about a possible Idaho move. But since I had lived in Lenexa, Overland Park, and Shawnee in the 70s and 80s, I naturally looked at the KC forum to see what was being said about my former home. And I found the same thing you have and had the same reaction. For the bashing was already underway in October 2007, led by the same key players that lead it today.

You're absolutely right. The "border war" nonsense that has polluted this forum for all of these years is a disservice to potential new movers and should have been nipped in the bud a long, long time ago.

Your last sentence should be stickied at the top of this forum. If I've said it once, I've said it 500 times.

Thank you for saying it again.
I first came to this site almost a year ago, knowing very little about the real issues of this city, and if it weren't for certain commenters elaborating (NOT BASHING) than I'd still be in the dark. Trust me, if more people from this city really knew what was going on then it would no longer be a minority of people at this site, it would be a majority. But people from Kansas act as if these issues are just no big deal, like they just need to be swept under the rug, in that Missourians just need to keep their mouths shut while they continually harm the side of Missouri.

JoCo is nice, very nice, and no one is arguing that, but take away the veil, and see JoCo for what it really is. And, I commend all of the commenters who take the time to explain, expose and elaborate these issues of what JoCo really is, what they are doing with, and what they are doing to this entire area. Because I must say, that they do so in a very professional manner. But only, for there to be an ongoing "minority" of people who just sit there and retaliate to their explanatory posts with not facts, nor information, nor real debate, but with just the constant and baseless and exaggerative BASHING!

Old 05-14-2015, 08:27 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Have worked on both sides of the state line and never heard anyone on the KS side put down MO, it's the folks on the MO side who seem to want to continue with the worn-out drivel.
Great. Just because people don't sit around in offices and discuss the state line issues and bash each other doesn't mean there are not major problems plaguing the metro. I worked on both sides too and no, people don't hate on each other based on the state others live in. You might have some minor back and forth small talk, but it's generally no harm in either direction.

However, the problems are real and they are being discussed by people that care about the future of KC. I have personally spoken to many high up business owners, CEO's and elected officials and trust me, these topics are huge in certain circles and there are a lot of people that are just as passionate about the topics as I have been. The typical suburban JoCo family doesn't know or care about these topics.

It is true though that people that live in JoCo or have any sort of ties to the area will defend JoCo no matter what even though they really know nothing about the details of the state line topics and will ignore any facts presented to them anyway. You and the other JoCo posters take this stuff personally when it's not personal, it's about regional issues. It's about how your elected city, county and state leaders are representing Johnson County to the rest of KC.

Someday (maybe) you will see that it has nothing to do with being jealous or envious of JoCo and everything to do with simply wishing that the county was a better neighbor which would make all of KC a better place.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:11 PM

4 posts, read 4,180 times
You all make my point. I do not care about state lines or Johnson county, I am defending Kansa City as a metro. I am not defending JOCO. I am saying you guys take posts started about someone from out of the region wanting to move here, specifically JOCO, and then tell them how awful JOCO is and that the region is a torn up metro that isn't very well off, might as well tell them the place sucks and don't come. Not what should be coming from a site like this. It is not the majority opinion of the entire metro. I love Kansas City, MO, have a house in MO, and all the attractions downtown and plaza have. I donate to causes for these places and love all of KC, not just my neighborhood or county. It's a joke this county business, no one outside of KC could careless what county you are from, it is silly.

When someone posts about our thoughts on moving to Overland Park, instead of saying JOCO sucks, maybe we should say how great the metro is, even if it has flaws. Better to gain new citizens anywhere in the metro. But instead a thread is started about how the MO side is better than KS side for more new housing. And again the majority of commenters here bashing JOCO and KS do not live in KC anymore. Axe to grind?

I have lived in Westport, KCK and JOCO in KC., along with visiting and owning places throughout lake of the Ozarks in MO. I have also lived in white Plains, Ny, Bedford, Ny, Greenwich, CT, and Stamford, Ct which if you know anything about the northeast Greenwich and Bedford are very very nice and where a lot of NYC money resides. They still are vastly different suburbs compared to KC ones and don't offer the clean, friendly atmosphere that JOCO offers. Stop the bashing and let's celebrate a great metro in Kansaa City on both sides of the state line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City