Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 05:45 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Head/Sand.
You are right.

I mean, KCMO faces a constant battle from Lee’s Summit, Liberty, Blue Springs, Gladstone, etc because the local suburban leaders backed by the state of Missouri throw tens of millions of dollars’ worth of local and state tax money to lure downtown companies to Missouri side office parks. Oh wait, that doesn’t happen…

And People in Liberty, Raytown, Lee’s Summit, Independence etc frown on supporting KCMO assets like the Zoo because they buy tickets and that’s enough! Oh wait, there is a MO side cultural tax that funds the zoo and KCMO has passed several taxes to build it and expand it. Nevermind.

And Jackson County for sure hates the idea of transit into KCMO. Well, except that all the suburban mayors back the idea and polls show a 60% support for regional rail into KC, so nevermind.

And the stadiums are not supported because they buy tickets and that's enough! Well, except for that sales tax that people across the entire county from as far away as Martin City and Grain Valley pay for every single purchase they make. Not to mention the state and city subsidy that they fund indirectly as well as residents outside of Jackson County so nevermind.

And the flung suburban Northland areas of KCMO city limits just hate the idea of supporting KCMO south of the river attractions, museums etc, well except they have voted yes to almost everything from the WWI Museum, to the Zoo to Union Station (they still fund Union Station via property taxes). The Northland of KCMO has voted yes to subsidize the public hospitals like Truman Medical Center, they have voted to improve the city’s homeless shelters, they have voted to improve infrastructure south of the river many time over. They have even come close to passing light rail initiatives that come nowhere near them and tens of thousands of them pay the etax and yet you barely hear a word about it while the few JoCo people that pay the tax are always complaining about it.

There is a difference between the MO side suburban areas and the KS side suburban areas. The MO side contributes, the KS side uses. And the MO side simly does not go after KCMo companies. They ahve even stated that they wouldn't do it even if they had the money to throw around. There is far more "respect" on the MO side for KCMO and each other. (Blue Springs won't go after a Lee's Summit company, while Lenexa will poach from Overland Park in a heartbeat).

If my head is in the sand, it’s because I stuck my head in there looking to find your entire body which is buried in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 12:58 AM

78 posts, read 123,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
You are right.

I mean, KCMO faces a constant battle from Lee’s Summit, Liberty, Blue Springs, Gladstone, etc because the local suburban leaders backed by the state of Missouri throw tens of millions of dollars’ worth of local and state tax money to lure downtown companies to Missouri side office parks. Oh wait, that doesn’t happen…

And People in Liberty, Raytown, Lee’s Summit, Independence etc frown on supporting KCMO assets like the Zoo because they buy tickets and that’s enough! Oh wait, there is a MO side cultural tax that funds the zoo and KCMO has passed several taxes to build it and expand it. Nevermind.

And Jackson County for sure hates the idea of transit into KCMO. Well, except that all the suburban mayors back the idea and polls show a 60% support for regional rail into KC, so nevermind.

And the stadiums are not supported because they buy tickets and that's enough! Well, except for that sales tax that people across the entire county from as far away as Martin City and Grain Valley pay for every single purchase they make. Not to mention the state and city subsidy that they fund indirectly as well as residents outside of Jackson County so nevermind.

And the flung suburban Northland areas of KCMO city limits just hate the idea of supporting KCMO south of the river attractions, museums etc, well except they have voted yes to almost everything from the WWI Museum, to the Zoo to Union Station (they still fund Union Station via property taxes). The Northland of KCMO has voted yes to subsidize the public hospitals like Truman Medical Center, they have voted to improve the city’s homeless shelters, they have voted to improve infrastructure south of the river many time over. They have even come close to passing light rail initiatives that come nowhere near them and tens of thousands of them pay the etax and yet you barely hear a word about it while the few JoCo people that pay the tax are always complaining about it.

There is a difference between the MO side suburban areas and the KS side suburban areas. The MO side contributes, the KS side uses. And the MO side simly does not go after KCMo companies. They ahve even stated that they wouldn't do it even if they had the money to throw around. There is far more "respect" on the MO side for KCMO and each other. (Blue Springs won't go after a Lee's Summit company, while Lenexa will poach from Overland Park in a heartbeat).

If my head is in the sand, it’s because I stuck my head in there looking to find your entire body which is buried in it.
I agree with you, just in case nobody else sees it the way you do. KC metro area could be a lot better if we had better regional cooperation. My school (UMKC) had a presentation on how it (the business poaching) was hurting the KC economy, I couldn't make it, but wish i did

Last edited by CJdekc; 05-30-2015 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 05-30-2015, 04:18 PM

684 posts, read 791,314 times
^ You make me want to go back and sneak in. When I was a teenager I would sneak in to play racquetball, basketball, gym etc. I would love to participate in that class. If only you could've attended.

It's funny how there's a certain minority in this forum who think that discussing these issues should be off limits. As if the people who do so are trolls. UMKC is dicussing these issues, kcbizjounal constantly is, and just how many articles and news segments within the past year alone from the likes of kmbc 9, fox4, kc star, etc etc etc. These people need to get in better touch with KCMO and realize that poaching and border war issues are very relevant topics (ongoing topics) for this region. And forum.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:28 PM

78 posts, read 123,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
^ You make me want to go back and sneak in. When I was a teenager I would sneak in to play racquetball, basketball, gym etc. I would love to participate in that class. If only you could've attended.

It's funny how there's a certain minority in this forum who think that discussing these issues should be off limits. As if the people who do so are trolls. UMKC is dicussing these issues, kcbizjounal constantly is, and just how many articles and news segments within the past year alone from the likes of kmbc 9, fox4, kc star, etc etc etc. These people need to get in better touch with KCMO and realize that poaching and border war issues are very relevant topics (ongoing topics) for this region. And forum.

Yup its so true, People around here really disappoint me sometimes. Something needs to be done soon, KC is lagging behind everyone else in terms of job creation.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:10 AM

2016 housing permit stats released today. This is for single family and multi-family. I'm not sure if this includes renovated structures in KCMO.

MO Side 5419 new permits
Jackson 2311, Clay 1548, Platte 962, Cass 598

KS Side 3979 new permits
Johnson 3461, Leavenworth 246, Wyandotte 272

Top permitting cities:
KCMO 3177
Overland Park 1227
Olathe 813
Lenexa 660
Lee's Summit 445
Shawnee 443
KCK 245
Blue Springs 223
Raymore 219
Platte County 126
Smithville 126
Grain Valley 112
Belton 104

Old 01-26-2017, 12:39 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
^^^^^LOTS less open land in Johnson, Leavenworth and Wyandotte County combined than there is in Jackson, Clay, Platte and Cass combined. So that's really no surprise. The only way you could build a new house in lots of Johnson County would be to tear down an existing house and build it.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
^^^^^LOTS less open land in Johnson, Leavenworth and Wyandotte County combined than there is in Jackson, Clay, Platte and Cass combined. So that's really no surprise. The only way you could build a new house in lots of Johnson County would be to tear down an existing house and build it.
Johnson County is not even 50% developed. There is PLENTY of room for more sprawl there. Nearly all new housing starts in JoCo are not infill, but outer sprawl new construction. Development in JoCo is EXACTLY THE SAME as you see in the growing parts of the Northland and Jackson County. Clay, Jackson and Platte all have river valleys and flood plains that create more gaps in development, similar to JoCo west of 435. Look at google earth along 152 where 90% of Northland growth is occurring in that relatively small corridor. New development on the edges of slightly older development. It doesn’t matter that Clay and Platte County go much further north. Nothing is happening up there. The areas of the northland where most of the growth is taking place is actually a smaller area than in JoCo. Nearly all of the housing starts in Clay County are in the relatively small Shoal Creek area, while JoCo is building homes in the far reaches of Overland Park, Olathe , Lenexa and Shawnee, a much larger geographic area.

Your argument makes no sense. The reason the MO side is growing much faster is because there are so many more options and more counties that people want to live in plus downtown, midtown etc are hot. The entire state of Kansas has one county people want to live in and they might even mess that up if they keep de-funding the schools. I'll let you have the last word so this thread is not closed like all the others you touch.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Your argument makes no sense. The reason the MO side is growing much faster is because there are so many more options and more counties that people want to live in plus downtown, midtown etc are hot. The entire state of Kansas has one county people want to live in and they might even mess that up if they keep de-funding the schools. I'll let you have the last word so this thread is not closed like all the others you touch.
HAHAHAHAHA! Keep telling yourself that.

Um, there was one thread that was closed. You can't blame that on me. When you tell someone to "take a chill pill" like you did, you are asking for it to be closed. And now you are saying you are going to let me have the last word so it won't be closed, implying that if YOU continue to post it will be closed.

I'm just tired of your Kansas-bashing threads. It's ridiculous.

If you like, I can start a bunch of Missouri-bashing threads. That's the only thing that seems to make you slow down for a while.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:43 PM

404 posts, read 457,041 times
Some people don't like facts. Kansas not a fast growing place. Is what it is.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Some people don't like facts. Kansas not a fast growing place. Is what it is.
And Overland Park is on Money Magazine's list of Best Places to Live every single year. Yep, it is what it is.

You couldn't pay me to live in Kansas City, Missouri. Many people love the Kansas side of the state line, for good reason. Why some of you have to continually bash Kansas/Johnson County is beyond me, unless you feel so bad about Missouri that you have to bash Kansas to make you feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City