Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,884 times

Advertisements

I'm used to being taxed like crazy here in the omaha area in Nebraska. Is it as bad in kc mo? Is it pretty reasonable living in regards to taxes, housing, food and general living and pay at jobs? I dont know anything about this city but loved it when I visited last year and plan to move there in a couple months hopefully. Thank you to any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 12:49 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,807,845 times
Not as hot as hot markets like Denver or the South and KC was below avg job growth last year. Employment wise, KC is now above US avg with job growth, especially white collar jobs. Construction jobs also starting to return with a lot of projects announced.

KC metro 2015 employment thread - KCRag Forum

Old 05-14-2015, 01:02 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
I used to think we had a pretty good tax situation here, but it's creeping up. Sales taxes in some areas of KCMO are close to 10% (where is a special tax - TIF?? - to pay for infrastructure). My property taxes are about 1.6% of the value of my house. KCMO's water rates are getting out of hand, we pay over $60 a month in non-lawn watering months, and that's just for two people. Ten years ago it was about $40 every two months.

YMMV

Old 05-14-2015, 02:17 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I used to think we had a pretty good tax situation here, but it's creeping up. Sales taxes in some areas of KCMO are close to 10% (where is a special tax - TIF?? - to pay for infrastructure). My property taxes are about 1.6% of the value of my house. KCMO's water rates are getting out of hand, we pay over $60 a month in non-lawn watering months, and that's just for two people. Ten years ago it was about $40 every two months.

YMMV
Why is water so expensive? I pay about $40 a month in Denver for a family of 4 in non-lawn-watering months. That's running the dishwasher and washer about daily, plus two kids who think it takes a half hour to take a shower lol! And Denver is a much drier climate. If summer months are particularly dry, it goes up to around $80 a month to keep things green outside.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:15 AM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Why is water so expensive? I pay about $40 a month in Denver for a family of 4 in non-lawn-watering months. That's running the dishwasher and washer about daily, plus two kids who think it takes a half hour to take a shower lol! And Denver is a much drier climate. If summer months are particularly dry, it goes up to around $80 a month to keep things green outside.
Major water and sewer infrastructure rebuilding. In some parts of the city it is over 100 years old.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:45 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Major water and sewer infrastructure rebuilding. In some parts of the city it is over 100 years old.
At least KC is doing something about it. Seems like there's a water main break monthly here in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City