Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 03:55 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
There is also an apartment building going up (already u/c) across Washington from that site, immediately south of the parking garage.
I was wondering what that was, you can see dirt being moved in google earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 09:28 PM

290 posts, read 346,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The north side of the plaza has become terribly pot marked with large empty lots as developers have torn down residential structures for "future development" only to let them remain empty lots for years.

A few lots have been developed recently, but it's still pretty bad. There are three proposed current developments could break ground soon that will help tremendously however till they actually break ground you never know. There have been proposals for the other lots, but all have fallen through so far.
An observation I share. I actually live near the Plaza now, so seeing these underutilized parcels so often is quite unfortunate. What kills me is 46 Summit, since that was announced way back in 2012. I really wonder what the owners are thinking. I have heard that the SpringHill Suites may start construction soon. I do believe the 8-story hotel and apartments at 46th and Broadway will start sooner than later just because of the developer involved. In the end, the holding pattern around the Plaza is quite bewildering. If the owner/developer thinks building right now is not prudent, then they will never build anything.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:06 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
I was wondering what that was, you can see dirt being moved in google earth.
First floor exterior is framed in. So far, it's appears none too impressive, especially compared to the new condos further south on Washington, but it is denser. Even with all the tear downs (a couple of really classic, if modest, 2 story semi-colonnades just got torn down at Broadway and 45th terr) Plaza/Westport Hill is getting denser, as almost every new project is replacing single family airport bungalows.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:52 AM

22 posts, read 36,638 times
Someone close to the Convention Hotel project told me that the project secured its funding last Friday. I don't have any details on when it will be announced publicly.

That's all I got! ;-)

Old 08-24-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerstrp1 View Post
Someone close to the Convention Hotel project told me that the project secured its funding last Friday. I don't have any details on when it will be announced publicly.

That's all I got! ;-)
That's great to hear if that's the case. According to a poster on the kcrag forum, Kemper was telling anyone that cared the project was dead. I'm not sure how he came to that conclusion other than he opposed the project from the beginning.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
This thread needs to be split from the original topic, but thought I would post this here to continue this conversation.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...s-for-two.html

I actually agree with the bowl concept and think the retail core of the plaza should be zoned with a limit of 4 stories, however, 4620 JC Nichols is not a core retail building, nor is it a building worthy of preserving. The council needs to have the balls to allow variances and then say no when needed. For example, saying no to tearing down the apartments at 46th and Broadway for large office building was a very good move. The Polsinelli building looks okay on the west end of the plaza, but something like that would have looked terrible on 46th and Broadway. Same with the city stopping the demolition of the Park Place Apartments, now a Marriott Hotel. But then you have things that make sense where you can get away from the plaza plan a little.

It's good the city approved 46th and walnut. That's a perfect infill site and six stories is the average height for the area.

Killing the 44th and Washing plan is stupid and only caving to NIMBY's. That area is totally ideal for that size of project. However, it may be a blessing. KC developers have plenty of other options. Develop the empty lots south of 46th which I think are zoned for up to 15 stories and start developing downtown. Good lord, there is still very little high density being proposed for downtown, crossroads and crown center. I really thought that Cordish starting a second tower would trigger some other similar proposals from other developers.
Good points overall. They're still planning to build I believe an eight story hotel and apartments at 46th and Broadway, so that area will still see some development. I do hope something occurs at 44th and Washington since there isn't much of anything to be saved over there. The Plaza area isn't single family homes anymore and the city shouldn't crater to the needs of that segment of the population in the area. Well, Cordish did mention starting the third tower before the second one is completed, so there's that. Yet, I hope more new construction will occur, but a lot of the construction right now is still rehabs in the Garment District, the Flashcube at some point and parts of the Crossroads.

On the business front, ACI Boland has moved to the Crossroads providing more activity during the daytime and I still feel once Corrigan Station is completed it will create a more active environment and potentially spur more development.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...ters-move.html

Lastly, construction should start on the long delayed Springhill Suites at 45th and Summit.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:45 PM

Changes targeted for prominent downtown KC block | The Kansas City Star

Quote:
“I want to bring suburban living to an urban site, with covered garages and privacy.”
I have not seen the final plans, so it's difficult to judge this proposal, but this does not sound good at all. That last thing KC needs at 15th and Main is suburban development. Although being nine stories tall does not seem very suburban at the same time, so who knows.

Honestly, l don't have a lot of faith in these people. They really don't seem to know what they are doing and are just trying to cash in on the increase in their property value.

I predict the existing businesses will be torn down and will remain empty lots in the heart of downtown for a decade which seems quite common in KC.

On a good note:

Milhaus is working with local developer UC-B Properties to develop surface lots on the south side of 27th Street between Gillham Road and McGee Trafficway into a mixed-use plan. | The Kansas City Star

This huge project should break ground this winter.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Changes targeted for prominent downtown KC block | The Kansas City Star

I have not seen the final plans, so it's difficult to judge this proposal, but this does not sound good at all. That last thing KC needs at 15th and Main is suburban development. Although being nine stories tall does not seem very suburban at the same time, so who knows.

Honestly, l don't have a lot of faith in these people. They really don't seem to know what they are doing and are just trying to cash in on the increase in their property value.

I predict the existing businesses will be torn down and will remain empty lots in the heart of downtown for a decade which seems quite common in KC.

On a good note:

Milhaus is working with local developer UC-B Properties to develop surface lots on the south side of 27th Street between Gillham Road and McGee Trafficway into a mixed-use plan. | The Kansas City Star

This huge project should break ground this winter.
I think what this guy was referring to are condos that offer quite a bit of square footage, i.e. lots of space (I guess that means suburban) in comparison to new apartments being build without a lot of square footage, i.e. little space (city living). At least that's what I thought. There's still the possibility of a hotel being built near this proposal, so I doubt anything will sit around empty. That's the old KC...

The project near Crown Center is great and will bring more life to that part of town.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:25 PM

Another great urban project killed or at least severely injured.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...mixed-use.html

KC has quite a few projects going on, but it's still a far cry from booming and the only area of KC that is growing relatively fast is the River Market. The Crossroads, West Side etc is not booming at all. The Crossroads still needs a ton of infill (including some dense development) before it starts to really become a true vibrant neighborhood and there is very little going on in that very large area. At least they have broken ground on the large project near SW Blvd and I-35 I saw while in town recently.

My point is that KC residents are spending more time killing projects by signing petitions and saying everything is too dense for the area. These are NOT large projects, especially for the central urban core of a major city. The incentives these projects tend to ask for are also generally worth it to help build parking garages etc. Like I said, areas like the Crossroads are still very much in their infancy as far as urban revival. We are not talking about LoDo or the Platte Valley in Downtown Denver here. It's especially bad in KC because developers can get tons of incentives for suburban projects with zero opposition from the public but most urban projects are starting to get a ton of resistance.

KC residents need to stop being so small townish and let the city grow.

Other projects killed.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...e-project.html

Steve Foutch walking away from $23 million apartment project in Crossroads | The Kansas City Star

(Remember, a voter referendum almost killed the Hyatt Convention hotel and may still have with the delays it caused. projects like that are very sensitive to time and a six month delay can easily make a complex project like the Hyatt fall apart.)

Recent plaza projects:
Plaza area neighbors fight hotel, apartment plan | The Kansas City Star

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...s-for-two.html

Remember this project proposed in the crossraods that was canceled after it had so much opposition because it blocked the view of the PAC from the Liberty Memorial? Even though it didn't block that view...

Last edited by kcmo; 09-08-2016 at 03:37 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 09:37 PM

172 posts, read 154,154 times
KC has no interest in becoming more urban. As long as land and auto transportation remains cheap, KC will shortsightedly pursue suburban development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City