U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2017, 10:00 PM

146 posts, read 132,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Are they still building the twisty green tower?
No, there's a new twin tower design for 12th & Grand (Copaken).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 08:07 PM

65 posts, read 47,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Interesting concept for a key block of the River Market. This would be huge for the River Market, especially the hotel.

Key things I see and like:

Most of this block is currently surface parking, this would wipe out all surface parking.

No existing structures would be demolished

This is a true mixed use project with hotel, apartments, office, flex space, recreational space and retail.

It adds much needed density, but keeps the taller buildings to the west edge of the River Market district, so it tapers down to the current scale of Delaware Street buildings.

Right on a main streetcar stop.

This is actually a well thought out idea for this block. Nice job BA Architecture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hreqp2nCB4o

While I'm definitely not opposed to the project, there are some questions. 1. How will people feel about a 20 story highrise in a district that has nothing more than 6 stories? 2. Given the tradition of the river market, will people accept that tower that's mostly comprised of glass? I do like the 4 story glass building at 200 Wyandotte, but it doesn't stick out like this proposed project will. That said, I do kinda like it and I think it will be a major asset along the rail line.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:33 PM

119 posts, read 88,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbluesprings View Post
While I'm definitely not opposed to the project, there are some questions. 1. How will people feel about a 20 story highrise in a district that has nothing more than 6 stories? 2. Given the tradition of the river market, will people accept that tower that's mostly comprised of glass? I do like the 4 story glass building at 200 Wyandotte, but it doesn't stick out like this proposed project will. That said, I do kinda like it and I think it will be a major asset along the rail line.
I think that this project is just a dream and will never get off of the ground due to NIMBY's and how conservative KC is. I do love the fact that we're dreaming a little bigger and developers are stepping up and attempting to make things happen though.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:19 PM

65 posts, read 47,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twan2001 View Post
I think that this project is just a dream and will never get off of the ground due to NIMBY's and how conservative KC is. I do love the fact that we're dreaming a little bigger and developers are stepping up and attempting to make things happen though.
Good to see you over here, BTW. I'm kcexpress69 over on SSP. I'm just getting started on this page!!

Old 03-28-2017, 10:58 PM

119 posts, read 88,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbluesprings View Post
Good to see you over here, BTW. I'm kcexpress69 over on SSP. I'm just getting started on this page!!
oh, cool. Welcome aboard.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:07 AM

112 posts, read 73,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twan2001 View Post
It would be so cool to see something like this get done. I agree, though, that certain people will freak out about this. They'll complain about the size and of course the traffic it will cause. Always with the traffic. Hopefully it will get done, and hopefully it won't get watered down too much. Exciting to see someone thinking big (or at least bigger) in KC. Keeping my fingers crossed!

edit: Is this just totally conceptual? Or is there a developer involved actually trying to make this happen?

Old 03-31-2017, 10:49 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,295,510 times
River Market doesn't seem to be hindered by NIMBY types and people who move there tend to understand the need to fill in lots and develop a contiguous pedestrian scale environment as it appears most come from much larger cities accustomed to dense development. And the taller building is a hotel, which will generate more pedestrian traffic than car traffic.

On the Westport project, I'm as pro development as it gets and I live in WP zipcode but am majorly concerned about tearing down 100 year old buildings for the WP Bank replacement project and setting that precedent for other developers looking at WP. Developers need to fill in lots and redevelop crappy mid-century buildings, not rip out 100+ yo buildings. So I'm not quite NIMBY but want to see developers respect Westport's history, one of the oldest built up districts in the metro. I generally support the Westport Association on wanting to find compromise with developers and not allow them to rip out whatever they want.

On they Hyatt Convention Hotel, I see it as a risky leaning project for the City and that risk could be reduced by doing a residential/hotel combo. The hotel services can still be supported by residents during down periods. There are a lot of other downtown hotel rooms in development and in the pipeline and there is already near 1000 room Marriott and the free streetcar essentially ties Crown Center hotels into Convention Center. I don't have an issue with a city sponsored modern convention hotel but it should be hotel/residential to reduce the risk. And there are so many convention cities now, the risk continues to increase to make KC a convention city again, especially with the crappy airport and fewer nonstop flights.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:50 PM

10,905 posts, read 19,939,949 times
^ good post xenokc and I agree with it all. It will be interesting to see how much resistance there will be to any taller towers proposed for the River Market. Hopefully there will be little opposition to a good proposal and it can develop into something similar to LoDo in Denver where taller buildings co-exist nicely with the older building stock. I think you are right, the demographics of the river market should be good for such a proposal and I don't think you will have ignorant suburbanites coming gout of the woodwork to "save" something they know little about (ie plaza, KCI etc).

KC has way to many empty lots to be tearing down historic structures in westport (or anywhere else). At the same time, areas like Westport and especially the Plaza need to let development happen that is not destructive to existing viable/worthy buildings.

There also must be a reason why the city has not looked at going with a residential combo for the convention hotel. I'm not an expert in that field to really know, but I would think that if that was a cost effective way to reduce city risk, then it would have been done. It makes a lot of sense, but something is keeping those types of combo buildings from going up in KC and it's likely because KC is not a proven luxury condo/hotel market. Hopefully Cordish can pull off a project like that soon.

And while convention business is highly competitive now, KC still has very few downtown hotel rooms compared to most peer cities, even if you include Crown Center hotels and all the smaller new ones opening, so KC needs that Hyatt. It just so happens that most cities are willing to risk more public money than KCMO is willing to do for convention hotels, which is fine, but that's why KC will get a rather no frills hotel. Even Overland Park backed their convention hotel with city money and they have had to come up with some gap funding. It's pretty impressive that KC is pulling the hotel off at all with no city risk, but it has taken like 20 years and it's still not under construction...

Last edited by kcmo; 03-31-2017 at 03:06 PM..

Old 04-01-2017, 12:18 AM

10,905 posts, read 19,939,949 times
Gallerie project starts construction April 10. 361 apartments, 53 condos and 14 townhomes. Hopefully this leads to more similar projects in this area. Hallmark has done great things for KC, but they really screwed up this part of the city by covering it with surface parking.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:14 AM

1,321 posts, read 1,116,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Gallerie project starts construction April 10. 361 apartments, 53 condos and 14 townhomes. Hopefully this leads to more similar projects in this area. Hallmark has done great things for KC, but they really screwed up this part of the city by covering it with surface parking.

I still say all these new urban projects look like they're being pre-fabbed and 3D printed, but I have to admit I like this one anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or