U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 12:00 PM

10,901 posts, read 19,915,876 times

Advertisements

Pretty cool infill project for Quality Hill. 153 room Hyatt House hotel at 9th and Broadway. (from kcrag)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 01:59 PM

492 posts, read 639,193 times
^ 13 stories. Nice infill project.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:05 AM

527 posts, read 811,304 times
Looks like they scaled back on the design of the new terminal by removing the scalloped ceiling and water fountain. Most of the opinions on kcrag have been negative towards the new design, how do you guys feel about it?

Old 08-22-2018, 09:46 AM

742 posts, read 959,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdm_ad View Post
Looks like they scaled back on the design of the new terminal by removing the scalloped ceiling and water fountain. Most of the opinions on kcrag have been negative towards the new design, how do you guys feel about it?

I don't understand how they can "scale back" something when people had to vote on it in the first place. Putting out cool concept renderings then changing everything to remove the aesthetic features is a pretty deceptive move...

Old 08-22-2018, 12:21 PM

4,507 posts, read 7,726,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
I don't understand how they can "scale back" something when people had to vote on it in the first place. Putting out cool concept renderings then changing everything to remove the aesthetic features is a pretty deceptive move...
Think about how “riverboat gambling” in Missouri has evolved from what was voted on originally.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:55 PM

64 posts, read 47,722 times
"Scaling back" As much as I hate that phrase, it seems to be a regular thing to hear when it involves development in Kansas City. Although the Sprint Center is beautiful, it was a "scaled back" development. The new convention center hotel is a "scaled back" design. A lot less impressive than the original drawings. And now, we have a "scaled back" design of the new airport. Why does that project need to be scaled back?? The taxpayers aren't paying for it. Why can't we just go all out for once, and make something that stands out?? Of course, it's Kansas City!! Why shouldn't I be surprised??

Old 08-22-2018, 06:21 PM

11,303 posts, read 3,413,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
I don't think anybody thought they were voting on a specific design.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:00 PM

78 posts, read 97,227 times
Kansas City's new nickname should be the "Scale Back" City, instead of "City of Fountains".

Old 08-27-2018, 11:47 AM

10,901 posts, read 19,915,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJdekc View Post
Kansas City's new nickname should be the "Scale Back" City, instead of "City of Fountains".
I'm not sure KC really gets a lot of projects to "scale back" in the first place. It's not like 40-50 story hotel and office towers are proposed there on a regular basis. The biggest project in the history of the metro is Cerner and they building a crappy single use, secure office park in SKC.

Honestly, KC's public projects have been the projects that have been pretty good. The P&L district, Union Station, Sprint Center, the convention center etc. KC just gets pretty much zero love from the private sector. What love it gets is mostly in the burbs.

Having said that, I was disappointed at first about the latest renderings of KCI. It really has no wow factor what so ever. I mean did they purchase the plans off ebay? Or did they buy a book on how to build an airport terminal for dummies? You just can't get more basic than this latest plan.

But I'm still holding out hope that it will turn out fine. At the end of the day, KCI just needs a new terminal and one that has all the amenities needed to make flying comfortable and appealing and hopefully get KC some more flights as an added bonus.

Even without any sort of wow factor or unique design, the terminal will be 1000 times better than the current airport and will likely be one of the more pleasant airport experiences in the country when it opens. KC currently has a terrible airport terminal, but when the new terminal is done, no matter how plain, it will be better than a lot of terminals out there.

It would be nice if they did something a little interesting though. This looks like the converted a vacant walmart into a terminal. lol.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:44 AM

308 posts, read 253,488 times
The pictures in pdm-ad's post honestly look like an updated version of Columbus Ohio's airport circa 1965. A basic front terminal with a T coming off of it where the airplanes dock. The only udpate is there is a bottom section that turns the T into kind of an I. While we desperately need a redesigned airport, this is almost a step backwards into a 1960s' design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or