U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 09:09 AM

119 posts, read 88,679 times

Advertisements

Updated Renderings of Hotel Bravo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 11:04 AM

29 posts, read 17,326 times
Scaling back sure seems to be expensive.

https://www.constructiondive.com/new...ach-2b/541258/

Old 11-05-2018, 11:13 AM

10,901 posts, read 19,922,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emissary View Post
Scaling back sure seems to be expensive.

https://www.constructiondive.com/new...ach-2b/541258/
That includes financing. When you build or buy a 250k home, do you say it's a 350k (including finance charges)? Not really.

It's still basically a 1.5 billion dollar terminal, which is actually a low (or even cheap) terminal when compared to similar sized projects considering it included a major reconstruction of the road infrastructure and a very large parking structure. The terminal itself without the garage and all the new road infrastructure should be in the range of 1.2 billion minimum.

I honestly think KC is going too cheap with this new terminal and I think people will see that once it opens. As a frequent flyer, I can already tell they are cutting a lot of corners with this new terminal.

Last edited by kcmo; 11-05-2018 at 11:25 AM..

Old 11-05-2018, 12:02 PM

396 posts, read 861,469 times
kcmo, I'd be genuinely interested in your thoughts on this given your transportation background. Which corners are they cutting and which ones will come back to bite us and would be worth the investment now? After all, anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:58 AM

956 posts, read 1,114,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
That includes financing. When you build or buy a 250k home, do you say it's a 350k (including finance charges)? Not really.

It's still basically a 1.5 billion dollar terminal, which is actually a low (or even cheap) terminal when compared to similar sized projects considering it included a major reconstruction of the road infrastructure and a very large parking structure. The terminal itself without the garage and all the new road infrastructure should be in the range of 1.2 billion minimum.

I honestly think KC is going too cheap with this new terminal and I think people will see that once it opens. As a frequent flyer, I can already tell they are cutting a lot of corners with this new terminal.
At the end this looks like it'll be pretty similar to DTW's North Terminal (which houses all airlines except Delta, Aeromexico, and Air France). It's a perfectly functional terminal but has no "wow" factor and really isn't a showplace for the city. DTW can get away with it though because DTW's larger terminal (the McNamara Terminal) is quite impressive and is kind of a "showplace" terminal.

The truth is that this new terminal will be better than the current terminals but still a step or two behind peer airports (AUS, BNA, CMH, CVG, IND, and RDU).

Old 11-13-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
kcmo, I'd be genuinely interested in your thoughts on this given your transportation background. Which corners are they cutting and which ones will come back to bite us and would be worth the investment now? After all, anything worth doing is worth doing well.
First off. This is only a very preliminary opinion. There is not a lot of detailed info to go by. But so far, I'm just not all that impressed.

The renderings alone just look weak to me. Edgemoor should be pretty far along in the process and yet their renderings show very little detail. They look like something a somebody threw together in about 30 minutes. The overall renderings are terrible and show more of the sun setting than the terminal building.

But from what I have seen in the bad renderings. The main terminal building looks like a walmart that was turned into a terminal. Relatively low and flat ceiling and a bit on the small side in sq footage.

It looks like it will be an extremely generic terminal with zero wow factor what so ever.

I get that they are trying to go cheap, but this is a once in a generation investment. When most cities build a brand new airport terminal from the ground up, they tend to at least try to do something architecturally special and interesting.

I guess I can look past all that. I mean ANYTHING will be better than the current KCI, which is basically little more than a bus shelter.

But...

I'm not even sure this terminal will even have all the amenities that most modern terminals have.

There does not seem to be any skywalks from the main garage to the terminal. Also don't see any escalators, elevators etc in the terminal that would connect to skywalks or tunnels to garage or connect the arrivals and departures levels. Will they really make people drag their luggage across the wide roadway and through the elements?

I also don't see any landside amenities in the terminal. Most terminals have at least some retail/restaurant options on landside although most will be on airside.

Renderings have been void of showing moving sidewalks. Most terminals have them to move people from the garage to the terminal (through the non-existent skywalks) and from the main terminal to the gates as well as from the gates to the baggage claim. The renderings have not shown this and I would imagine this would be one of the first things cut from the budget.

There have been no real details released on how the terminal will look from curbside. Again, this typically a very important part of the terminal architecturally.

New terminal in Calgary. They also use wood paneling on ceiling, but it works because everything else is well designed and open. Also notice escalators to parking structure skywalks.

New KCI terminal with wood paneling ceiling looks bad and the terminal looks claustrophobic for a major airport terminal. Just google airport terminal rendering. Just about every terminal (renovation or brand new) looks ten times better than KCI's new terminal. Oh well. Still better than current KCI.

If you go back and look at renderings from AECOM and B&M, they actually had some pretty cool preliminary designs. This Edgemoor design just looks terrible IMO. It looks like something other cities would be tearing down to start over.

Last edited by kcmo; 11-13-2018 at 01:32 PM..

Old 11-13-2018, 02:40 PM

396 posts, read 861,469 times
Thanks for your thoughts kcmo. I agree with what you're saying and shared a lot of the same concerns. That's why I wanted your perspective because I knew you'd be able to articulate well given your background. Hopefully they find ways to take better advantage of the opportunity ahead!

Old 12-06-2018, 11:19 AM

300 posts, read 267,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Doesn't help when you have the media put too much focus on the budget combined with some of the KC natives who hated the idea of the new terminal from the start. I want to have a reason to be excited for the new terminal, but going cheap on the airport worries me because it would make the opponents of the new terminal be like "Aha! I told you so!"

I just find it amazing the budget is a big deal when tax payers wouldn't be on the hook anyway.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:54 PM

New 25 story office tower proposed for Downtown.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:28 AM

300 posts, read 267,818 times
Opponents of new MCI obsessed over walking distance from curb to gate got what they want.

Its funny that the same people that claimed they only cared about getting to their flight and not the amentities says the airport looks too generic. Make up your mind!

https://fox4kc.com/2018/12/13/edgemo...erminal-model/

I do have to say I don't care for their design, but I am sure it will be better than it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or