U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 04:34 PM

10,901 posts, read 19,913,868 times

Advertisements

I started the thread about 2015 projects, but I thought we needed a more comprehensive list of what's proposed as well since many of these projects won't break ground till 2016 or after and a few are still concepts.

So here is a breakdown of projects in Kansas City, Missouri. If I get time, I will also list some of the larger Kansas side projects as well so long as we can keep this thread on topic. (economic development and border war type threads should be in other threads).

Hopefully this can be the "go to" thread for overview discussions of topics of any proposed or ongoing projects in the KC area while some larger projects may also still have their own threads.

One Light 315 units in 25 story tower

Two Light 300 units in 24 story tower

Towers three and four will be constructed as one and two fill up:

25 Story 525,000 sq ft office tower

800 Room Hyatt Convention Hotel

104 room Residence Inn
143 room Courtyard by Marriott

Arterra 21 116 unit 12 story apartment tower

Plaza office tower

Plaza Vista office tower

Arts district west office and residnetial

Midland Tower 63 units (restoration of vacant tower)

Corrigan Station 82 units (renovation + new construction)

Beacon Hill Student Housing 245 units

Crossroads West 300 units

1914 Main 44 units

30 story Commerce Tower Redevelopment into mixed use + new structure
342 residential units (60 in new structure) and 160,000 sq ft of office
Other uses will include:
Daycare
Private grade school
Park University Classrooms
Restaurants
Indoor dog park and playground on the roof of the garage
CVS store

P&L tower apartments 218 units
(renovation of mostly vacant 36 story tower into residential)

P&L apartments 52 units

29 Gillham 22 units

46 Penn 177 units

UMKC Apartments 240 units

37 Gillham 23 units

Summit on Quality Hill 258 units

51 Main 176 units

Apex on Quality Hill 130 units

West 39 71 units

Lofts 130 units (renovation of vacant structure)

Union Berkley Park 398 units

Centropolis on Grand 56 units

Second and Delaware 312 units

River Market West 137 units

River Market W phase2 148 units

Pickwick 261 units (renovation of vacant structure)

Brookfield Tower 100 units (renovation of vacant structure)

531 Grand 140 units

Market Station 323 units

51st and Oak (150 units above Whole Foods)

Roaster Block 151 units two buildings (renovation of old Folgers factory)

West Bottoms 11 units

McGee Building 56 units

The McCoy Building 56 units

Argyle Building 126 units (renovated structure)

Bellerive 150 units (renovated structure)

3560 Broadway 116 units (renovated structure)

Globe building office lofts (renovated structure)

Scarritt Building 109 units (renovated structure)

Pershing Building 109 units (renovated structure 55 units plus office)

Columbus Park 108 unit apartments

Butler Brothers 30 unit redevelopment of vacant building

950 Holmes 50 units

The View II 250 units

UMKC Conservatory of Music and Dance

Crossroads Home2 Hotel
115 room Hilton

Hampton Inn Hotel Midtown

Hampton Inn Hotel Downtown
70 room hotel (renovation of vacant building into hotel)

Embassy Suites Hotel Downtown
301 room hotel (renovation of vacant building into hotel)

Savoy Hotel Downtown
120 room hotel (renovation of vacant building into hotel)

Holiday Inn Express Downtown
76 room hotel (renovation of vacant building into hotel)

Hotel AC Westport

21 Wyandotte 115 units

SpringHill Suites Midtown
96 room hotel (renovation of vacant building into hotel)

One Life Fitness (above Cosentinos Grocery)

Downtown YMCA

Populous Headquarters

Truman Medical building

Plaza Block 211

Union Station and Science City improvements

Boulevard Brewery Expansion (12th largest craft brewery in country)

Kansas City Streetcar Starter line

Large projects breaking ground in outer portions of KCMO city limits

Cerner Campus
4.7 million sq ft office park South KC

Burns and McDonnell Headquarters Expansion (450,000 sq ft) South KC

Seven 301 residential development (Northland)
Renovation of existing hotel and construction of three new buildings for 275 units

Briarcliff expansion

Twin Creeks (northland)
Infrastructure improvements being implemented to develop a Massive suburban area of KCMO that will be home to 75,000 residents. A similar area opened up for development called Shoal Creek (blue area in image below) which now has 30,000 residents is building out.

KCI Airport Terminal

Last edited by kcmo; 05-19-2015 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 07:29 PM

5,681 posts, read 10,130,780 times
Great images! We are SO going to visit KC the next chance we get!

Old 05-19-2015, 11:28 PM

886 posts, read 1,952,420 times
have to wonder... so many businesses left downtown, and many large office towers now are being converted to residential. with more and more professionals choosing city living, I would think a lot of new corporations would choose to locate there, and some old even move back when their KS tax breaks expire.... would that mean new towers downtown?

Old 05-20-2015, 08:58 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,292,239 times
With Commerce Tower, P&L Tower renovations as well as 909 Walnut, KC will have the 3 tallest residential buildings in Missouri and the latter 2 are tallest residential in Midwest outside Chicago. Yeah, they are renovations not newly built but KC has 3 options of 400'+ living.

909 Walnut has been completed for a few years, currently tallest residential in KC...

P&L renovation is slightly taller than 909...

Commerce Tower still higher than any STL residential...

Old 05-20-2015, 09:33 AM

^ Downtown has lost a ton of office space to residential. While downtown has also lost a ton of jobs with the area changing so dramatically, it has to at some point become a desirable place to office once again. So despite the Kansas poaching, I really do see the need for new construction class A office space soon. I'm not sure if Commerce Tower was class A, I think it was, but that's a large building and it should bring down vacancies once officially off the market.

Stats may say otherwise, but Downtown KC needs "new" class A office space. I think the office portion of Downtown is where the residential was ten years ago. There was demand for new construction residential, but the rents and vacancy rates didn't justify it on paper and because there was almost no new construction residential (especially high rise), the market simply didn't exist yet. Once new products finally were financed and built, a brand new market evolved and it's snowballing into more and more projects and more demand. Same would happen with office space. It's been 25 years since a major new multi-tenant office tower has gone up in downtown KC, so the market looking for new modern large floor plate office space with lots of available sq ft is forced to look elsewhere as nobody wants to build their own buildings anymore.

It would be nice if KC could somehow get a large tower constructed, even if it's speculative, because I feel pretty confident they could fill it, although it would likely be with out of town companies since metro KC area companies just seem more interested in suburban office parks than downtown. Cities like Denver, Dallas, Minneapolis, Chicago, Atlanta overbuild all the time and vacancies climb, but that available new class A office space simply becomes a great asset to lure new companies. When you have 600,000 sq ft of new office space on 25 floors ready for tenants to quickly finish to their needs and move in, you eventually get tenants and that grows your economy. KC no longer has the deep pocket developers willing to risk building urban spec office space and because of that KC has not been able to compete with other major cities for major relocations or even possible suburb to city moves.

Like what is starting to happen with residential, KC desperately needs some out of town developers to come in and build and properly market urban office space. I think they would do well in KC where the locals just have not been able to get it done.

Last edited by kcmo; 05-20-2015 at 09:41 AM..

Old 05-20-2015, 10:35 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,292,239 times
Commerce Tower was Class B as were the other two. Would be nice to see more Class A office space built downtown but there's still 20% vacancy of Class A. There is still a huge amount of Class B/C space that oddly has much lower vacancy than Class A. Commerce Tower is upgrading lower floors to Class A office space but they recently decreased office space floors and increased residential floors because there isn't enough demand for Class A and high demand for residential.

While it's sad to see some downtown large biz leave for the burbs, that should start to change as more residents build up DT and streetcar goes online (which helps parking situation). KCMO as a whole still has a significant chunk of metro employment compared to other core cities. Yeah, DT is below avg of metro employment and it would be great if more were downtown but at least a big chunk are in KCMO. I know you are not at all satisfied with that but I am.

Downtown KC today reminds me of what happened to Vancouver in the late 90s. Not on the same scale and not with Hong Kong investors but Vancouver had much more residential momentum first and then more biz moved in later.

There is consistently over 97% residential occupancy DT KC and a large waiting list for high end units. Focus on that and the rest will follow. The current momentum could just be the beginning. Once streetcar is running and word gets out about demand for high end units, DTKC may attract more outside residential hirise developers.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:48 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,709,146 times
Finally, KC is on a roll!

I drove my boys through downtown and the Crossroads area last month and while they weren't impressed (they're 7), I was. Crossroads did have much more life to it than the last time I'd been there.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:49 AM

404 posts, read 346,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Commerce Tower was Class B as were the other two. Would be nice to see more Class A office space built downtown but there's still 20% vacancy of Class A. There is still a huge amount of Class B/C space that oddly has much lower vacancy than Class A. Commerce Tower is upgrading lower floors to Class A office space but they recently decreased office space floors and increased residential floors because there isn't enough demand for Class A and high demand for residential.

While it's sad to see some downtown large biz leave for the burbs, that should start to change as more residents build up DT and streetcar goes online (which helps parking situation). KCMO as a whole still has a significant chunk of metro employment compared to other core cities. Yeah, DT is below avg of metro employment and it would be great if more were downtown but at least a big chunk are in KCMO. I know you are not at all satisfied with that but I am.

Downtown KC today reminds me of what happened to Vancouver in the late 90s. Not on the same scale and not with Hong Kong investors but Vancouver had much more residential momentum first and then more biz moved in later.

There is consistently over 97% residential occupancy DT KC and a large waiting list for high end units. Focus on that and the rest will follow. The current momentum could just be the beginning. Once streetcar is running and word gets out about demand for high end units, DTKC may attract more outside residential hirise developers.
KC,MO is where Pittsburgh was ten years ago. When I was living there they had 20% vacancy downtown. Now its under 5% and new towers are going up. There is a difference between Pittsburgh and kc though. Their downtown has half the metro's office space and they don't have near the fierce competition from the suburbs so their downtown office market recovered nicely. Kc is lacking fortune 500s and the ones it has don't care about downtown. About all kc,mo can do is play hard ball with Kansas and try to buy back a big company. I just don't see a major company moving to the kc area from somewhere else.

There is nothing wrong with having more residential than office. The best parts of central Boston and Manhattan have as much or more high density residential vs office.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:07 PM

689 posts, read 1,239,491 times
Thanks for taking the time to put together this list, kcmo!

I do have a number of comments, questions, corrections, and additions:

Corrigan Station you have described as 82 units. I believe this is from an earlier plan when the building was slated to be residential. The plan is now for office conversion with 144,000 square feet of office space and a "few thousand" square feet of commercial space.

The rendering you have for 29 Gillham is from an old proposal for that space. Here is the rendering for what is being built:

I believe what you have listed as "Beacon Hill Student Housing" and "UMKC Apartments" is the same project. It was completed last year.

Where did you get the rendering for 531 Grand? I believe that is actually from a project in Seattle. As far as I know, a rendering for this project hasn't been publicly released.

What you have labeled as the McCoy building is actually a rendering for other Union Hill apartments - two twin buildings - the Taylor and the Ragan apartments completed last year. They are 23 units each. There is a third building in this style, the Campbell building that is under construction on Gillham. As for the McCoy building, I haven't seen a rendering of the entire building, but you can see part of it here. It is the white building to the left of the McGee building:

I believe what you have listed as "21 Wyandotte" was a previous version of what is now the Arterra 21 building.

You have something listed as "Hampton Inn Hotel Midtown" but the rendering is actually the Springhill Suites. On your description of the Springhill Suites you have said "renovation of vacant building into hotel", but it is actually a new construction.

It appears that the Downtown YMCA project has been scrapped and they are now looking renovation the Lyric for the Y's new location.

I'm not sure if you wanted to make a distinction, but a number of the projects you have listed have been completed - some for quite a while. Market Station was completed in 2010. Plaza Vista and West 39th St were completed in 2013. Several have just recently been completed, including 46 Penn, 51 Main, 37 Gillham, and Hotel AC Westport.

The Bellerive renovation has been completed for nearly two years now, but there are a couple other Mac property projects on Armour currently under construction that you could add:

The renovation of the vaccant, former Newbern Hotel building into 108 apartments:

And the conversion of an office building into 56 apartments and commercial space on the first two floors:

Here are a couple more projects that could be added:

Colonnades at Beacon Hill on 27th Street - 30 2-bedroom units in 5 buildings (4 new construction, 1 rehab). Currently under construction:

Another West Bottoms conversion for 120 units at 911 Wyoming St.

New construction 23 unit apartment building at 63rd and Holmes in Brookside:

Meriden Creamery building in the Crossroads is being converted into office and retail:

The Congress Building at 3535 Brodway is being converted into 45 apartment units:

There is a proposal in the works to convert the MGE office building at 3420 Broadway into apartments, as well as building a small commercial building including restaurant and amenity retail just south of the MGE Building. The parking area behind the building may be redeveloped to include townhouses along Pennsylvania Avenue and a couple of small multifamily buildings between the structures on Broadway and the townhomes:

Old 05-21-2015, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the corrections and updates WiseOwlSaysHoot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or