Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 08:14 PM

684 posts, read 782,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Lurker View Post
Not me, so please do not include me in your "everybody" comment because I do not agree with your argument at all.

As for the argument of stricter gun regulations, gun control, who, where, and why they can have them... Man you're living in a fantasy world with even trying to argue your point. Again look at the recent Lynne Russell incident where a career criminal with a rap sheet a mile long who was also already wanted by the police in another state with an active arrest warrant out on him and he could be the poster boy for your argument of gun control and they very type of person you want to keep guns away from but the harsh reality is that you (and other gun control people) seem to continually miss is the fact he (as a criminal) doesn't give a squat about any laws you pass because he and other criminals will continue to find and possess guns.

Pass all the legislation you want and but only the naive law abiding citizens who give up their guns will find themselves at the mercy of those with guns.

: smack:

What we actually need is more lax gun laws
What?

Did you even read my prior statements on this topic? : smack::s mack::sm ack::sma ck:

I'm not for all of the gun control measures! I'm for gun ownership! But, just not so much in the hands of criminals within urban areas. So don't get that twisted.

Instituting stricter gun regulations as to who and how they can possess them is not a problem. Stricter regulations will only make it tougher for places like pawn shops on Troost to sell guns to any and everyone. And this idea is in the best interest of neighboring citizens. Responsible citizens in these areas however, will go to places to where they can get and possess guns reasonably. You're completely missing my arguments.

Go back and re-read my arguments. And just don't get all touchy and bent out of shape over one statement that you didn't fully understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 12:56 AM

226 posts, read 265,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
My brother came into town tonight, visiting from SF. While he was looking for parking near my apartment building on the Plaza he crossed paths with a roving group of 20-25 teenagers. They completely consumed his car and there was what appeared to be some sort of dispute within the group. Shots were fired and his car got hit by a bullet. He could have gotten killed. He is extremely shaken and to say the least it is a very awful welcome to Kansas City. I'm sick of these kids who come here up to no good and putting innocent people in danger. This has hit very close to home for me. A beautiful place like the Plaza should not be subject to this kind of crap.

Luckily the cops showed up very quickly but at that point they had disappeared, though a similar group appeared again near Winstead's and the cops were right there and it looked like a few people were arrested. Not sure if it was in connection with shooting my brother's car or not.

Sorry just needing to vent.
This is exactly what I was referring to as to there being problems with such things but its kept under wraps - not well publicized so it doesn't affect tax revenue from shoppers out of town especially at Christmastime.

We have a black mayor and a black chief of police who seem to keep a tight lid on things that happen that reflect negatively.

I'm sorry you had that experience but it doesn't surprise me. If you read the chief's blog or twitter account you can get a better idea.

In my neighborhood which was nice when I moved in I have become the minority and don't really feel safe. Have had a home invasion and an assault. I did not feel good about the response from the police department - there are some good police officers but there are jerks too, one of whom I have sadly had experience wherein a neighborhood problem was made worse.

I want to leave KCMO and at first opportunity plan on doing so. My house is now under water since the housing collapse - my neighborhood continues a downhill slide. All the investments I made in my home turns out were not wise - my decision to move here was not wise.

I have noticed a definite change, not for the better, since the violence in Ferguson MO across the state that the police are trying very hard to endear themselves to the black community to the detriment of others. Not that I don't understand why they would be motivated to do that - I still don't approve - because its not fair to law-abiding citizens to have to take a backseat in the justice department. Which also goes to why I do not feel safe, as a white person I think if push comes to shove I'm going to be the one who gets shoved. With that said, this WAR ON COPS is totally WRONG - with St Louis not so far away I can see how the violence might spread this way because I think its not totally spontaneous but "organized"

I live in a mixed neighborhood which never used to bother me but like I said the neighborhood has gone downhill. I know there are some very nice, responsible citizens of all races in Kansas City but the ones (squeaky wheels) getting the "grease" right now do so at the detriment of law-abiding citizens. Personally, I wish Obama had delivered on his healing the racial divide but if anything he has driven us farther apart. Governor Jay Nixon was a disgrace during the riots in Ferguson making statements that looked like Officer Wilson was being thrown under the bus, no waiting for the facts to be forthcoming, he jumped right in there with statements pledging the officer would be vigorously prosecuted and he never should have been prosecuted at all because the facts are it was self-defense and lots of false rumors about "hands up".

Both Nixon and Obama's actions contributed greatly to the current war on cops - their actions contributed to the air of entitlement to riot. Both of them should have stated "let the system work" instead of talking about slavery and prosecution without knowing the facts. Slavery was a long time ago and at some point you have to move on but Obama refuses to do so along with his Dept of Injustice.

I realize this may seem off-topic but I don't think it is as it goes to explain the current "climate" which also has to do with incidents described in the opening of this topic.

I would take issue with the opening statement that nice areas like the plaza deserve better than the thuggery going on which could get someone killed. ALL AREAS deserve better including the one I live in. It goes to what I said, the police stay on top of events in the Plaza for the reason that it brings in tax revenue. Safety shouldn't be dependent on tax revenue potential in a given area. I recall an incident just a few blocks from me about a year or so ago that I heard about (I doubt I know about them all) about a family who was held up at gunpoint as they were moving into a house they rented. It didn't say but if it were me, whatever I had moved in would have been moved back out and I'd be looking at the area in the rear view mirror. I would think it sufficient reason to break a lease.

I think my response is not off-topic because what I have spoken of is still affecting Kansas City - I don't see it changing anytime soon. I do know that the police chief has stated if it were up to him NOBODY would have guns in K.C. in which case I would be out of here tomorrow. I never felt the need to have a gun before but I do now and it is one of the few things that gives me any feeling of security - a CHANCE to defend myself at all. CRIMINALS will always have guns, taking them away only leaves innocent people vulnerable and like I said if that ever happens I'M OUTTA here no matter what.

Last edited by AmericnGrl; 09-03-2015 at 01:23 AM..

Old 09-03-2015, 02:21 AM

226 posts, read 265,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
My sentiment is with you on guns, but I would go much further than most would. Because nibbling around the edges won't make a dent in the problem, and could even make it worse in some ways.

What we need to do is end the gun culture in America. I mean end as in repeal the second amendment - for a start. That wouldn't ban guns, but would leave gun policy up to local jurisdictions. That, in and of itself, wouldn't be the whole solution, but would be a big step forward.

We are 100+ years past the point in the human experience where it is remotely rational for any and every Tom, Dick, and Harry who so desires to run around with a machine that kills in an instant on their hip. Unfortunately, still far too many have been raised with guns just like it was 1870 and view them as part of the essence of life itself. So I don't see our culture evolving as it could and should any time soon.
I disagree with you - you live in a fairytale world good for you. Myself, my home was broken into by 3 thugs (black - go figure) who stole 2 computers and my peace of mind. That's been 5 years ago and I no longer feel safe in my home. I didn't have a gun then I DO NOW and I dare anyone to try to take it from me.

2nd incident, assaulted while in my own yard by a neighbor (black) - the police came and despite obvious injuries nothing was done - initially 2 white cops showed up who asked if I wanted to press charges - then a black "superior" showed up who told me to get over it and they all left.

You damn f##king right I have a gun, its the only thing that stands between my nice home surrounded by trash becoming another vacant eyesore.

I'm glad you live in a mary poppins world and for someone like you to suggest taking away my constitutional rights REALLY TICKS ME OFF, you're one of those bleeding heart liberals who never learn until they feel the pain up close and personal.

You know what - after what happened (neighbors witnessed the assault on me) after that happened things got worse for me, now a few people in the neighborhood see it as a license to hassle me which they have done and now the cop shows up and goes along with the troublemakers. Know why? I'll tell you why - the same reason a white bus driver threw me off a bus when I was a teenager for getting into a fight because my assailants were 5 or more black thug girls and he wanted to save his own sorry *****.

All those experiences lead me to spend money I need for other stuff on a gun. Don't YOU ever try to take it from me - if you want to be defenseless be my guest but I don't. A black electrician doing work at my house gave me good advice - he said BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT than to NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT. A LADY 3 blocks from me who happened to be black saw 3 guys putting on plastic gloves preparing to break her door down in broad daylight (my home breakin also was broad daylight) she had a shotgun and she shot thru the door and hit one of them - they caught when the cowards went to the ER. But before they left they shot back at her -lucky she didn't get hurt. My hat goes off to her, more power to you sister. Good for her.

AND BTW to the people above who said they would move before they would get again - you don't know everything - I do not have the means to move right now or I would. Because of the housing collapse I have no equity in my home and I live on SS. So once again you liberals would impose your thoughts on those of us who live in a different world. I can find no apartment I can afford that is in a decent neighborhood so I'm stuck and I'm angry actually and the only thing to make me more angry would be the imposition of your will on me - you have no right. And you give no credit to the people who didn't die because they were able to defend themselves or someone else.

Last edited by AmericnGrl; 09-03-2015 at 02:43 AM..

Old 09-03-2015, 04:52 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,636,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericnGrl View Post
I disagree with you - you live in a fairytale world good for you. Myself, my home was broken into by 3 thugs (black - go figure) who stole 2 computers and my peace of mind. That's been 5 years ago and I no longer feel safe in my home. I didn't have a gun then I DO NOW and I dare anyone to try to take it from me.

2nd incident, assaulted while in my own yard by a neighbor (black) - the police came and despite obvious injuries nothing was done - initially 2 white cops showed up who asked if I wanted to press charges - then a black "superior" showed up who told me to get over it and they all left.

You damn f##king right I have a gun, its the only thing that stands between my nice home surrounded by trash becoming another vacant eyesore.

I'm glad you live in a mary poppins world and for someone like you to suggest taking away my constitutional rights REALLY TICKS ME OFF, you're one of those bleeding heart liberals who never learn until they feel the pain up close and personal.

You know what - after what happened (neighbors witnessed the assault on me) after that happened things got worse for me, now a few people in the neighborhood see it as a license to hassle me which they have done and now the cop shows up and goes along with the troublemakers. Know why? I'll tell you why - the same reason a white bus driver threw me off a bus when I was a teenager for getting into a fight because my assailants were 5 or more black thug girls and he wanted to save his own sorry *****.

All those experiences lead me to spend money I need for other stuff on a gun. Don't YOU ever try to take it from me - if you want to be defenseless be my guest but I don't. A black electrician doing work at my house gave me good advice - he said BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT than to NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT. A LADY 3 blocks from me who happened to be black saw 3 guys putting on plastic gloves preparing to break her door down in broad daylight (my home breakin also was broad daylight) she had a shotgun and she shot thru the door and hit one of them - they caught when the cowards went to the ER. But before they left they shot back at her -lucky she didn't get hurt. My hat goes off to her, more power to you sister. Good for her.

AND BTW to the people above who said they would move before they would get again - you don't know everything - I do not have the means to move right now or I would. Because of the housing collapse I have no equity in my home and I live on SS. So once again you liberals would impose your thoughts on those of us who live in a different world. I can find no apartment I can afford that is in a decent neighborhood so I'm stuck and I'm angry actually and the only thing to make me more angry would be the imposition of your will on me - you have no right. And you give no credit to the people who didn't die because they were able to defend themselves or someone else.
I really liked your post above this one....was about to rep you for it - 'til I read this one.

I understand your frustration and your anger, given your situation and feeling trapped. There is one and only one solution....and that is to get out. Cut your losses now - find a way - because they're only going to get bigger with time.

Guns are not the solution. Guns are the problem....and result in far more bloodshed, pain, and suffering for those who live by and with them than for those who don't. That's both "good guys" and bad guys.

I can only smile at the assumptions you make. There is no one less liberal on this board than I. I just don't march to anyone's beat but my own and you're not accustomed to seeing that. Yes, most conservatives march lock step to NRA dogma and, in doing so, they just fuel the fire that rages and threatens you so.

Find a way to escape and make it your only priority. After you do, throw your gun into a deep lake and get that deadly threat out of your life. Best of luck.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:25 AM

12,885 posts, read 13,554,771 times
Woman killed in shooting outside Kansas City bar - KCTV5
he third deadly shooting this Labor Day weekend happened about 2:45 a.m. Monday as customers were leaving Point Bar & Grill located at 917 W 44th St. near the County Club Plaza and Westport entertainment district.

Read more: Woman killed in shooting outside Kansas City bar - KCTV5

Old 09-08-2015, 09:38 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,644,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I really liked your post above this one....was about to rep you for it - 'til I read this one.

I understand your frustration and your anger, given your situation and feeling trapped. There is one and only one solution....and that is to get out. Cut your losses now - find a way - because they're only going to get bigger with time.

Guns are not the solution. Guns are the problem....and result in far more bloodshed, pain, and suffering for those who live by and with them than for those who don't. That's both "good guys" and bad guys.

I can only smile at the assumptions you make. There is no one less liberal on this board than I. I just don't march to anyone's beat but my own and you're not accustomed to seeing that. Yes, most conservatives march lock step to NRA dogma and, in doing so, they just fuel the fire that rages and threatens you so.

Find a way to escape and make it your only priority. After you do, throw your gun into a deep lake and get that deadly threat out of your life. Best of luck.
I've always been a gun guy, but it's nice being in Europe and not having to deal with gun crime like we have here in the US.

Unfortunately, stricter gun laws won't work because the guns are already on the streets. Europe has never really had private gun ownership, which is why they aren't on the streets (but can still be found if you REALLY want one and have the money).

Also, I think culture has a lot to do with it. Most of the gun crime in the US is caused by low income minorities. You rarely hear about middle class white people shooting someone (compared to the black on black crime in the inner city).

Old 09-08-2015, 10:54 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,135,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I've always been a gun guy, but it's nice being in Europe and not having to deal with gun crime like we have here in the US.

Unfortunately, stricter gun laws won't work because the guns are already on the streets. Europe has never really had private gun ownership, which is why they aren't on the streets (but can still be found if you REALLY want one and have the money).

Also, I think culture has a lot to do with it. Most of the gun crime in the US is caused by low income minorities. You rarely hear about middle class white people shooting someone (compared to the black on black crime in the inner city).
White gun violence in America is still higher than European gun violence by several times. Just so you know.

Gun violence and murder in general are much more closely linked to income inequality than any other single factor, including access and gun ownership numbers.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:40 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,636,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

If we aspire to be a truly civilized society, we must get them off the streets - at least in the urban areas. The proliferation and saturation of guns in densely populated areas where there is no threat posed by wildlife predators is akin to a toxic waste dump. It is a threat to public safety that must be taken as seriously as the threat posed by Love Canal.

Culture does have a lot to do with it. And the majority of gun violence continues to be concentrated in relatively small areas. But in recent years there is a very disturbing trend in "nutcase" incidents like the unspeakable slaughter at Sandy Hook Elementary School. That kind of violence threatens each and every one of us, on any day, in any and every neighborhood across the USA.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:04 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,157,268 times
Looking to possibly visit KCMO but this kind of news puts a sour taste in my mouth.

Sorry to hear about these types of .

Old 09-13-2015, 01:00 AM

53 posts, read 66,773 times
its gotta be a culutral thing, whether black gun violence, on each other or on whites or who ever, cuz it happens with frequency,,, or the mass psycho shooters,,,, those all hail from a bad place, mental health, healthy habits not feeling the urge to slaughter, i feel you can not outlaw something that is already invented, its out, the cats outta the bag,, the problem is the use of it, the casual killings, its not righteous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City