Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:42 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times

Advertisements

Here's a question for people familiar with KC. As a veterinary technician I'm in a pretty low-paying profession. I may be relocating to Kansas City for work. I know that housing there is cheap relative to almost everywhere, but I'm coming from Topeka, Ks. I'm single with no children, so school districts don't matter. On the other hand, as a single woman it's important that I'm in a somewhat safe area. I'd really like to buy a home. I've been working toward that goal here in Topeka, but now it looks like I've got a chance for a higher-paying job in Overland Park. I don't mind driving in to work, but remember the part where I'm poor? Gas isn't cheap anymore. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 12:15 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
I think you are going to have a problem anywhere in Johnson county. Rents will be high unless you get in a dangerous area of Olathe. I know where you can rent a 1 bdr apt in Louisburg for $500.00 per month. Other than that you might have to cross the line into Mo. With your veterinary connection you might find some Johnson county horse people with a horse barn style apartment; but you might have to wait or network people to find one.imo

Old 01-24-2008, 06:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
If you want to buy a house in a safe area, it will cost you more than Topeka but since you do not have to worry about the schools places like Raytown might appeal to you. If you think you will have to worry about the schools in the future Lees Summitt is a good buy although a bit of a drive to Overland Park. Buy a Corolla and don't worry about gas!

Old 01-24-2008, 06:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Also there is a separate forum for Kansas City here and you might ask in there.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:59 PM

4 posts, read 20,920 times
Default JoCo not a lost cause

I don't know why Johnson County (in its entirety) is raved about for being so EXPENSIVE. I fell into that trap too, and I've just moved here and settled for renting a crappy house in Waldo because I thought that it would be so much cheaper. That isn't the case at all. I hate my neighborhood, though it is safe, I'll give it that much. You can find a perfectly nice apartment complex in Johnson County for a pretty decent price... Lenexa, Shawnee, even some of the older developments in OP. You could buy an affordable house in JoCo, too, but it will just take some looking. Try Roeland Park, northeast OP, western Lenexa... to name a few. Like I said, it will just take some looking. Plus, if you live in MO and work in KS, you'll get screwed on income taxes.

Anyway, good luck!

Old 01-26-2008, 04:54 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
How about giving us some numbers Bellc.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:42 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I know the OP said she was hoping to buy, so I'm not sure what your budget would be then, but you can find inexpensive rents in JoCo.

I was looking around on craigslist and I found a couple of options.

This is a one bedroom right near Shawnee Mission Parkway and I-35 for $525 Metcalf Lane Apartments (broken link)

Here's another place that's older and in the same area for only $495.
Home

You can probably get more for your money on the Missouri side, but the commute would certainly be easier and cheaper if you stay on the Kansas side.

Here's another one bedroom for $599
1 br-This week only!! (broken link)

Old 01-28-2008, 11:19 AM

82 posts, read 275,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Here's a question for people familiar with KC. As a veterinary technician I'm in a pretty low-paying profession. I may be relocating to Kansas City for work. I know that housing there is cheap relative to almost everywhere, but I'm coming from Topeka, Ks. I'm single with no children, so school districts don't matter. On the other hand, as a single woman it's important that I'm in a somewhat safe area. I'd really like to buy a home. I've been working toward that goal here in Topeka, but now it looks like I've got a chance for a higher-paying job in Overland Park. I don't mind driving in to work, but remember the part where I'm poor? Gas isn't cheap anymore. Any suggestions?
I think you need to be over in the Kansas forums. However, I'll offer you what I know. Wyandotte County would probably be your best bet if you want a close commute to Overland Park. Maybe Tonganoxie or Edwardsville. KCK has some really bad areas but also some that aren't so bad and pretty cheap. If you really want to get some good advice on that I'd go to KCrag.com. There's several people on the board that live in those areas that can probably help you out.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:26 AM

82 posts, read 275,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellclairdillivia View Post
I don't know why Johnson County (in its entirety) is raved about for being so EXPENSIVE. I fell into that trap too, and I've just moved here and settled for renting a crappy house in Waldo because I thought that it would be so much cheaper. That isn't the case at all. I hate my neighborhood, though it is safe, I'll give it that much. You can find a perfectly nice apartment complex in Johnson County for a pretty decent price... Lenexa, Shawnee, even some of the older developments in OP. You could buy an affordable house in JoCo, too, but it will just take some looking. Try Roeland Park, northeast OP, western Lenexa... to name a few. Like I said, it will just take some looking. Plus, if you live in MO and work in KS, you'll get screwed on income taxes.

Anyway, good luck!
It is expensive in Johnson County. You live in Waldo. That's not a typical suburban dwelling comparable to most of JoCo. That's a trendy neighborhood. You're gonna pay. Try renting over in Leawood sometime. You'll know what expensive is then. Also keep in mind that you're renting a house. You're not gonna rent an entire house in Waldo cheaper than an apartment in JoCo. Comparing rent in Waldo to the oldest parts of JoCo is like comparing rent up in Platte County to somewhere down in the ghetto.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:07 PM

4 posts, read 13,110 times
There is a little enclave close to the expressway, off Red Bridge Road, on the Missouri side with really great prices on homes, most of them ranch style built in the 60's. Super easy commute to Overland Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City