Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 01:45 PM

10 posts, read 16,593 times

Advertisements

"So earlier it was in the workplace and now, not really in the workplace."

What I meant was that nobody would ever say anything like that openly, but the "what's his deal" feeling is familiar, and I hear similar things said about other guys in my position, behind their back, of course.

I agree, that if you have a family, this place is great. But for a single man, this place is hell on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 01:59 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
Maybe it's just you...your looks, your personality, your demeanor or something else that causes men AND women not want to befriend you.

I have two very attractive daughters in their late 20s who live in Johnson County who have never been married. And they both live in Overland Park. I'll have to let them know they are the only two women over 25 in Overland Park who are not married! They also have attractive friends who have never been married. I don't think there is an expectation here for people to marry young. 50 or 60 years ago, yes. But not now. I don't think anyone gives it a second thought.

Last edited by luzianne; 12-20-2015 at 02:53 PM..

Old 12-20-2015, 02:05 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson3244 View Post
"So earlier it was in the workplace and now, not really in the workplace."

What I meant was that nobody would ever say anything like that openly, but the "what's his deal" feeling is familiar, and I hear similar things said about other guys in my position, behind their back, of course.

I agree, that if you have a family, this place is great. But for a single man, this place is hell on earth.
Hell on earth? Johnson County women are what I miss most after being gone for 25 years.

There are two sides to that coin you're tossing. Granted, single and available women are fewer and farther between there as compared to the West coast. But the women that are available there are generally of a quality that is much harder to find here on the coast. Personally, I'll take quality over quantity any day.

I miss the people of KC, especially the women.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:11 PM

927 posts, read 759,455 times
My cousin wants to go there to get out of Florida. Our grand uncle lives there. She got nowhere in Florida. Hard to find a job, rental, drugs crime. She could use someone who is not 75 maybe.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:15 PM

10 posts, read 16,593 times
"Hell on earth? Johnson County women are what I miss most after being gone for 25 years."

What in the world would you miss about johnson county women?

Old 12-20-2015, 02:18 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
The word that belongs in your sentence is stable, not backward. Your advice may be good for the OP, but family-oriented re-locators deserve to know that Kansas City's "social culture" is its best feature and the reason why you won't find nicer neighbors in a large metro area anywhere in the US.
I never said anything against the fact that it is "family-oriented," however I know for a fact that most areas of KC area is just not that great for single people compared to many other metro areas. That fact cannot be understated considering single people also make up a sizable percentage of the overall population. I think the statistic that I have seen regarding "average age of first marriage" generally does rank the most rural states as having a lower average. Many states on the coasts tend to rank several years older overall.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson3244 View Post
"Hell on earth? Johnson County women are what I miss most after being gone for 25 years."

What in the world would you miss about johnson county women?
As compared to the Bay Area, their warmth, their beauty, and (most of all) their class.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I never said anything against the fact that it is "family-oriented," however I know for a fact that most areas of KC area is just not that great for single people compared to many other metro areas. That fact cannot be understated considering single people also make up a sizable percentage of the overall population. I think the statistic that I have seen regarding "average age of first marriage" generally does rank the most rural states as having a lower average. Many states on the coasts tend to rank several years older overall.
You went well beyond statistics by using the term "backward", which was an editorial put-down and you meant it that way. That is what I took exception to.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:05 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,166,730 times
It's you.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:18 PM

7 posts, read 8,531 times
Instead of viewing your problem in terms of geography, you should view it in terms of age. When you lived on the West Coast you were in your twenties, and from the information you provided, your way of meeting women (i.e. at bars) is well suited to a twenty-something. But hooking up in bars is perhaps a bit less common for people in their thirties, so unless you have something that would appeal to women in their twenties (i.e. being handsome or at least looking young for your age), your chance of meeting someone at a bar is slim. Your comments on the way the women downtown reacted towards you might be a reflection of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
My cousin wants to go there to get out of Florida. Our grand uncle lives there. She got nowhere in Florida. Hard to find a job, rental, drugs crime. She could use someone who is not 75 maybe.
"Hard to find a job, rental, drugs crime" is a bit ambiguous. Is it hard to find drugs or crime in Florida and that is what your cousin is seeking, or are those negatives things she wants to escape from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City