Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 7,675 times

Advertisements

I just posted this as a reply to an older thread, sorry, so here it is as a stand-alone question - anyone with any tips?

My partner and I (both of us are women) are considering a move to KC from the NYC metro/North Jersey area. We are in the process of starting a family here but will not be needing a school for a few years. From my only visit there it seems that the Brookside/Waldo area is the place where we would feel most comfortable in terms of living. I'm concerned about the public schools, though, in terms of the climate there for my kids. I do not want my children or my family to feel like lone outposts, so to speak. so am looking to private schools. Does anyone have any recommendations on private schools in the KCMO area that value diversity and would be openly welcoming of a child with same sex parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 03:40 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyblonde View Post
I just posted this as a reply to an older thread, sorry, so here it is as a stand-alone question - anyone with any tips?

My partner and I (both of us are women) are considering a move to KC from the NYC metro/North Jersey area. We are in the process of starting a family here but will not be needing a school for a few years. From my only visit there it seems that the Brookside/Waldo area is the place where we would feel most comfortable in terms of living. I'm concerned about the public schools, though, in terms of the climate there for my kids. I do not want my children or my family to feel like lone outposts, so to speak. so am looking to private schools. Does anyone have any recommendations on private schools in the KCMO area that value diversity and would be openly welcoming of a child with same sex parents?
My partner and I are soon to be parents here in Denver and actually have a great, accepting neighborhood with good public schools. But in KC, I don't know. Hyde Park and all of Midtown also are fairly liberal areas within KC, but I don't know what private schools people use in that area. I would think that whatever private schools in these areas people send children to would be your best bet. The only school that comes to mind is Pembroke Academy but someone who has kids there would have better info. for you.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:15 PM

69 posts, read 251,255 times
I have friends whose children attend St. Thomas More, Rockhurst (high school) and Notre Dame de Sion (high school). They reside in Kansas City, MO and have been very pleased with the private schools. I cannot give any information regarding children w/same sex parents, I'm sorry. Possibly this website will help. It does list private schools in the Brookside community. I would probably contact the schools and pose this question to them. It doesn't matter if you are straight parents or gay parents, you will always have to be your child's advocate in the classroom. Welcome to KC, and I'm sure you and your family will be very happy residing in Brookside.

Brookside Business Association Online - Kansas City, Missouri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: