Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 09:03 AM

6,831 posts, read 11,568,031 times

Advertisements

In 2012 and 2016, we spent January and February in warmer climes. Had a deal with my lawn guy to plow our driveway if we had more than 4 inches of snow while we were gone. Haven't paid him a dime. Of course, I don't recall what December or March brought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 11:24 PM

409 posts, read 293,891 times
I've only been bitten by mosquitoes a couple of times this past summer, but then I don't sit outside once they begin biting, which this year was about late June. They continue to bite well into Sept., so you need a screened-in porch if you want to sit outside in the summer. But it's usually too hot and humid to sit outside, anyway. It can easily get up into the 90s even in September.

The houses at the prices you mention would be in dicey parts of town. Crime in general is a problem in the KC area, even in neighborhoods that look like they should be fine. I follow a half dozen neighborhood crime watch pages on Facebook--not even the most dangerous neighborhoods--and the amount of crime is frightening to me as an older woman. Many car thefts and car break-ins. Packages stolen from porches. Home burglaries. At the moment, a rash of Christmas lawn ornament thefts.

We have a house in an older part of Kansas City, northeast of downtown, and one in Independence (we're in transition at the moment), and thefts are about equal. We've had three murders on the block/on the street behind us in KC (in each case the murderers and victims knew each other, though) and our barn was broken into three times in Independence, despite doors/windows being reinforced. We will be arming ourselves to the teeth with doorbell cameras and other surveillance cameras, motion detectors, etc. and I have already taken shooting lessons and will be buying a gun. From what I've been reading, and from researching and house-hunting in other areas of MO and KS, the uptick in crime is not limited to Kansas City. It was not like this when I grew up here, or even 20 years ago, and I'd go somewhere safer if it was practical. I need to stay until I'm at least 67 because of my job and who knows what my/our situation will be then.

I don't find the political climate overly conservative -- depends on where you live within the metro area.

Kansas City is home, it has it's good points, and we probably won't be retiring elsewhere, but I would not purposely move here if I didn't already have family and friends.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:31 PM

367 posts, read 818,545 times
I've lived in KC and in Las Vegas.

Kansas City is pretty darn humid, and pretty buggy too, especially compared to Vegas, where all you need think about, for the most part, are Black Widow spiders, those stupid imported scorpions from Arizona, and bees. Mosquitoes are a problem, but there's plenty of ways to cope with those, I wouldn't let that break the deal.

The big difference I noticed is that there are very few critters - animals - running around the Valley (I don't recall seeing roadkill more than once, and that was somebody's escaped pet), whereas Kansas City is chock full of urban and suburban wildlife (including cougars/mountain lions/pumas and I'm not joking). Nighttime in KC, in the warmer months is loud and full of animal noises (where I found Vegas too... quiet. I lived in Centennial Hills away from the city, on the edge of town).

BUT you have four, generally well balanced, distinct seasons, which is something I miss terribly (I am in Texas currently and working to move back KC way in a few years, hopefully). By the time you get bored with one kind of weather, you get something different. It's green and lush and rich and full of growing things. Autumn is amazing and wonderful, and if you don't have allergies too bad, spring can be pretty nice (and as someone who likes thunderstorms, it's pretty spectacular when they roll through). No doubt about it - July and August are no fun, but hey, I didn't like it that much in Vegas either at that time of year, either.

Hot in Vegas is a different sort of hot from hot in Kansas City, although it can get equally hot in both places in July. Vegas will burn you before you realize it (esp when your sweat evaporates nearly instantly); Kansas City's humid hot air will weigh 100 pounds. Hot is hot.

You are going to have a hard time finding a house in your price range that meets your other requirements while living in a relatively safe neighborhood, but it IS doable if you pay attention and keep your ear to the ground.

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2016, 11:34 AM

55 posts, read 48,212 times
KC was my home, born and raised, for 64 years. My wife and I retired the end of 2015 and got the hell out. Don't get me wrong, I love KC- its home and a lot of good, truthful info has been posted. The problem is there isn't any real middle ground ........ the good is good and the bad is bad. Basically depends on what you are looking for and what you are willing to accept. Admittedly, it's easier to make those life choices when you're retired since the job market aspect is always a determining factor. As one poster indicated, the spring and fall are beautiful but summer and winter are brutal .... especially summer! The heat and humidity will put you on your knees in a heartbeat. Once you're on your knees the chiggers and oak mites will make a meal of you. The evenings cool down slightly but you will still sweat until it's time to take another shower and go to bed. Even if the evenings brought comfortable conditions you can't sit out and enjoy it. What the chiggers and mites miss, the mosquitos will get. Day and night you will be eaten alive if you like being outdoors. Winters are unpredictable as far as snowfall. Last year wasn't much but a few years ago we had upwards of 24" on the ground at one time. When it snows it stays around a while leaving a slushy mess that refreezes at night. The cold will go right through you while the bitter cold will make your face hurt. I'm an outdoors person and the weather and bugs made the choice to relocate an easy one.
If those things aren't important KC is a great place to live and raise a family. Go Chiefs and Royals!!
BTW we moved to New Mexico. On a previous visit we asked a local if they had mosquitos and chiggers. She said no to the mosquitos and then asked "what's a chigger?" Good answer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City