Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 09:44 PM

25 posts, read 36,994 times

Advertisements

Hello
Our family is relocating from New England to the Kansas City area. Schools are our priority. We are researching Leawood, Overland Park, and Parkville. I appreciate any information on these towns. What are the differences, reputations, things to consider? What are the individual schools within the towns like - elementary through high school? Also curious about Kansas City proper and NKC schools? Any information is much appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 06:10 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,463,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slnews2 View Post
Hello
Our family is relocating from New England to the Kansas City area. Schools are our priority. We are researching Leawood, Overland Park, and Parkville. I appreciate any information on these towns. What are the differences, reputations, things to consider? What are the individual schools within the towns like - elementary through high school? Also curious about Kansas City proper and NKC schools? Any information is much appreciated. Thank you.
You should expect some good answers here. But they will be even better if you can tell us about some of your secondary and tertiary considerations. What sort of community are you interested in? What sort of house? What's your price range? Do you like new homes or historic homes? How close do you want to be to various cultural or recreational amenities?

Another big question: Are private schools an option? Hypothetically, if you were to come in under-budget on your choice of home, would you be willing to spend some of the remainder on tuition?

Side note: You mention "NKC schools" but my guess is that you're referring to the Northland in general here. "NKC" means "North Kansas City" which is a specific municipality, rather small, sitting right across the river from downtown Kansas City, Missouri.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:34 PM

639 posts, read 767,130 times
If schools are needed for children, I would look at Johnson County Kansas or the Lee's Summit area of Jackson County MO or the Liberty school districts up north. If you move up North though and live in the municipality of KC MO, be forewarn that you will be paying a 1 % earnings tax for being a KC MO resident. The earnings tax KC imposes turns a lot of people off and they end up looking at the Johnson County Kansas suburbs.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:12 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
If schools are needed for children, I would look at Johnson County Kansas or the Lee's Summit area of Jackson County MO or the Liberty school districts up north. If you move up North though and live in the municipality of KC MO, be forewarn that you will be paying a 1 % earnings tax for being a KC MO resident. The earnings tax KC imposes turns a lot of people off and they end up looking at the Johnson County Kansas suburbs.
If you move to JoCo to avoid paying the KCMO Etax, you are stupid because you will pay more in other taxes, more for gas, more for groceries, more in state tax (or it used to be more).

People will always ***** about the etax, but they ***** about all taxes. The Shoal Creek suburban area of KCMO has been the fastest growing suburb in all of metro KC for many years now. I don't think the etax is hurting them and KCMO residents continue to vote by a landslide to keep the etax in place. It's suburban residents, mostly JoCo people that wouldn't live in Missouri anyway, that really complain about the etax.

At the end of the day, the etax is just not that big of a deal, it's just something fun to complain about.

I pay a 3% etax and I have yet to here anybody out here say a word about it out here.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:50 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,167,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post

Side note: You mention "NKC schools" but my guess is that you're referring to the Northland in general here. "NKC" means "North Kansas City" which is a specific municipality, rather small, sitting right across the river from downtown Kansas City, Missouri.
NKC School District covers a large area of the Northland, including the city of NKC, as well as most neighborhoods in Kansas City, MO in Clay county, probably 50% of KC North is in the NKC school district and they are fine schools.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:19 AM

Thank you all.

We'd like a community feel. A downtown would be nice and we would prefer to live closer to town. We are open to new or historic homes. Trees and walking trails are important - a more natural setting. Private high school is a consideration, but we are planning for public schools.

We are curious about the schools within Blue Valley School district, Park Hill School District (Parkville, MO), I will look into Lee's Summit and Liberty also. What about the schools in KC proper? Class size, parent/teacher/school communication, and a positive, welcoming school culture with experiential and project based learning opportunities are important to us.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:35 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,237,202 times
The big consideration is where will you be working -- to commute from Parkville to Olathe is madness, when the Olathe schools are equally fine.

If the job is near the Plaza, I recommend the SME (Shawnee Mission East) high school catchment -- extends from Fairway south to old Leawood including all of Prairie Village.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:47 AM

Working in downtown KC.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:06 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,237,202 times
Downtown is generally understood as 31st Street to the Missouri River and between the West Bottoms and Troost.

The commute from Prairie Village/ Fairway to downtown (via Ward Pkwy or SM Pkwy) to the Plaza to Southwest Tfwy and into downtown takes 20 minutes. Approximately 15 minutes from Parkville to downtown across the Broadway Bridge. You could of course live in Brookside/ on the Plaza or in midtown, but you would probably want private schools.

I would not recommend Olathe or other far suburbs (the areas near Lake Lotawana or southern Johnson County like far Leawood) if you are working downtown. Downtown is not so far from old northeastern JoCo and from the northern suburbs.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:14 AM

Thank you. Let's talk about schools because that will really drive our search on where to look. Currently Blue Valley, Park Hill, NKC. I am also researching Lee's Summit and Shawnee Mission East h.s. area (IB program is appealing). I can look up stats and rankings but that is only a piece of the story. I need real experience and anecdotes. Are there differences between the individual schools within the districts? It has been our experience having been in a large school district that individual schools within a district have their own unique culture, ways of doing things, class sizes, teaching methods, resources, etc. We do not want a school that is heavily focused on testing, teaching to the test, and overly focused on discipline/behavior management. We prefer a school with small class sizes, focuses on academics, individual paced learning and achievement, creative teaching methods and learning, experiential learning, with a positive, personal approach. Is there transparency and open communication? Parent involvement/partnership is essential. What is the state of education in Kansas and MO? Do you see programs being cut, resources being cut - which ones? Can you share info on individual elementary, middle, and high schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City