Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 08:48 AM

5,643 posts, read 15,681,217 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be in KC late September (arriving on a Sunday) for a 4 day trip from STL. I've never been to KC, so thought I'd reach out to the forum and ask for advice on things to do and places to eat.

Base:
We will be staying at the Hilton KC Airport for 2 nights at the start (we have a car) and then the Hilton Phillips (or Presidents) hotel for 2 nights before we head back to STL.

For sure, we want to do the following:
  • visit WW1 museum
  • Shopping at the Crown area (sp?)
  • Sample at least 2 BBQ resturants
  • some kind of outdoor recreational hiking/walking

Any other suggestions???

With the above items, can someone help suggest an itinerary of some sort to maximize our vacation while at the same time making it relaxing and stress-free?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 10:02 AM

6,810 posts, read 11,472,231 times
Steamship Arabia museum in City Market.

When you're by the airport, for the "outdoor recreation" part of it, try Weston Bend State Park. Nice walking trail to overlook of the Missouri River. The town of Weston is interesting, very old, antique shop-y. Lots of wineries.

Truman library.

Last edited by Okey Dokie; 08-13-2017 at 11:17 AM..

Old 08-13-2017, 03:36 PM

20,794 posts, read 9,431,939 times
Nelson-Atkins museum is an absolute must if you like art.

Might want to wander through the River Market/City Market area.

And shopping at the Plaza is also going to be a must if you want to visit a shopping area.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:47 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,440,842 times
You could easily spend a full day in Independence. Many of our tourist sites are within walking distance of each other, so you could get your hike and history in one shot.

Home - Visit Independence

Old 08-14-2017, 07:22 AM

377 posts, read 566,362 times
For shopping, Crown Center won't impress you much. As 007 suggested, Country Club Plaza is great for high end shopping and a beautiful setting, and the River Market is definitely a great stop. Also, try the West Bottoms for great antiques and a hip urban vibe.

BBQ? Oy, you'll get 50 opinions from 50 people, so here are some must-trys: Joe's KC (largely regarded as the best in the region), Q39, LC's (for old-school dive BBQ), Woodyard (for the patio), Arthur Bryant's off 18th St., and SLAP in Kansas City, Kansas (get there early because they sell out fast).

Old 08-14-2017, 09:57 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,160,559 times
Is it Sunday 9/24? If you're getting in early catch the last day of the Plaza Art Fair. It's pretty awesome.

City Market would be a good visit but will be pretty subdued during the week.

If you're feeling outdoorsy head up to Weston Bend State Park and go for a hike along the beautiful bluffs of the Missouri River, then check out downtown Weston and soak up its bucolic charm whilst enjoying a brew at O'Malley's.

The KC Renaissance Festival in Bonner Springs, KS is one of the best in the country and runs weekends from Labor to Columbus Day.

Nelson Atkins is a must. One of those rare things that is free and amazing.

WWI museum is not free but is amazing.

Crown Center is fun, be sure to take the Link to Union Station. Cheap tickets for movies at a legit IMAX style theater. There's a classy little brasserie inside the Westin Crown Center I enjoy going to with good food and cocktails.

If you like authentic Mexican check out Southwest Blvd. No shortage of legit Mexican food there.

If you want a nice early fall experience check out the Louisburg Cider Mill for some excellent cider and doughnuts. If you go during the week it is less crowded.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
The museum must-sees are the WWI Museum and the Nelson Atkins museum of art. The latter is closed Mondays and Tuesdays, however, so plan accordingly. It is free, though.

Negro Leagues Baseball Museum is small but well-done. Union Station is a gorgeous building to check out. All the Truman stuff in Independence is cool, too.

I wouldn't bother with Crown Center, personally...unless you have kids and are interested in LegoLand or the SeaLife Aquarium, it is pretty run of the mill.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:44 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,160,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The museum must-sees are the WWI Museum and the Nelson Atkins museum of art. The latter is closed Mondays and Tuesdays, however, so plan accordingly. It is free, though.

Negro Leagues Baseball Museum is small but well-done. Union Station is a gorgeous building to check out. All the Truman stuff in Independence is cool, too.

I wouldn't bother with Crown Center, personally...unless you have kids and are interested in LegoLand or the SeaLife Aquarium, it is pretty run of the mill.
Crown Center by itself isn't that great except around the holidays, but I think it is worth checking out since it's right by the WWI Museum and Union Station.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:52 AM

991 posts, read 1,106,363 times
So, as it turns out I am in my last 30 days as a KC-area resident (for now). I've been here 10 years and there are so many things I love about this city. If you have 4 days here's what I'd recommend - I'm putting together a list of things to see and do myself.

- WWI Museum is a must if you like museums. It's one of my favorite spots in the metro and I could spend hours there. The museum is really well put together.

- My wife and I had breakfast last weekend at Classic Cup on the plaza and sat on the outdoor patio on the streetside. It was quite enjoyable.

- The Airline History Museum at Wheeler Airport has always been a favorite of mine, but it may not be your thing.

- Definitely hit up the art gallery - it's free. Walk the grounds, check out the shuttlecocks.

- Visit River Market, Walk the Berkley Riverfront park trail.

- Jazz Museum/NLBM are really cool.

- Union Station is a pretty cool place to chill out - walk the Lynk to Crown Center. They have a really cool free model train setup in Union Station - it takes up an entire room.

- Hit up McCoy's in Westport - their patio bar is a great atmosphere.

- Mill Creek Park is a fun walk, Loose Park is even better, and both are adjacent to the Plaza.

- KC beer scene is growing - if you are into that. Try a craft brewery tour.

- There are neat little "strips" all over town - like main streets with interesting shops (Downtown Overland Park, Downtown Mission, 39th near KUMED, etc.)

- Yes get some BBQ. Honestly this one thing I won't miss that much - I've pretty much had my fill of barbecue in 10 years. Still, my recommendations are Jack Stacks in the Freighthouse (near Union Station) and the original Arthur Bryant's. I used to like Joe's KC but lately I haven't been feeling it.

- On the outskirts of town, there's isn't a whole lot of touristy things but Shawnee Mission Park is a lot of fun for water activities / hiking / walking.

There's a lot of other stuff - Green Lady Lounge is fun for live music, etc...just go exploring.

I'm gonna miss a lot of it.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:39 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,453,760 times
KC_Sleuth - where are you going? I, too am going to be leaving. I lost my job in April and so have been studying to get my RPSGT (Sleep Tech.) exam. I passed the exam on June 26th and have been feverishly looking for work in KC. Nothing. So I scored a job back in my home state of Washington - on the east side of the state.

Where are you heading to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City