Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 03:37 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,117,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
No offense but I ever accidently took anything from Money Magazine seriously I'd want somebody to punch me in the face. Talk about a rag...

Overland Park is a nice place to live, but that never kept me from going into the city and enjoying all the cool things there. KCMO, I think the attitude you describe is not one held by younger people...many of the young families I know in JOCO enjoy the city very much and go there a lot for things - spend money there, and contribute to the metro economy. Maybe from 10 years ago that attitude was pervasive...but I think it's waned. I am sure there were a bunch of people afraid of their own shadow who wouldn't go into the city back in the day (my grandparents are kind of like this)...I think those attitudes are finally petering out though.
I never said I don't go into the city. I don't want to live there. I didn't want to live there when I was in my 20s, either. I wanted to raise my kids in the suburbs, and I did. My kids are also raising their kids in the suburbs, because they want to.

Also, I would agree that 50 years ago Johnson County could have been considered "snooty." Today it is not the same place AT ALL and there are people in Johnson County of all income levels, all races, all social classes. So the stereotype that may have been true at one time simply isn't true anymore. Yes, a lot of people still consider Johnson County to be the best place to live in the metro because of its low crime (even though that's increasing) and its schools. No one said there aren't other suburbs that are decent.

Last edited by luzianne; 10-05-2017 at 03:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 04:03 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,131,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
yes, more sophisticated.
Oooooooo! La-la! Sophistumicated! By gum, we had ta lookit up just to know what you even meant, ya danged ole Warshington fancy-pantser!

Old 10-05-2017, 04:48 PM

991 posts, read 1,102,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
Oooooooo! La-la! Sophistumicated! By gum, we had ta lookit up just to know what you even meant, ya danged ole Warshington fancy-pantser!
Yeah I'm not sure I get the whole 'sophisticated' quip either. I have family in Manhattan who think they cavort with the most sophisticated people...and it turns out I know carpenters and mechanics living outside of the "elite establishment" areas with way more intellectual depth than some of the 'sophisticates'.

Anyway, it sounds pretty classist to me.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:07 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,693,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Yeah I'm not sure I get the whole 'sophisticated' quip either. I have family in Manhattan who think they cavort with the most sophisticated people...and it turns out I know carpenters and mechanics living outside of the "elite establishment" areas with way more intellectual depth than some of the 'sophisticates'.

Anyway, it sounds pretty classist to me.
I guess it is classist. I'm not saying "I'm" more sophisticated lol, but parts of NOVA has a more sophisticated feel. Maybe i'm using the wrong word. Urban? upscale? People dress up rather than down etc. I don't know.

It wasn't an insult. SPonteKC of course is always insulted but of course, most of his posts are knee jerk insults back.

Look, I'm not saying it's better or I'm one of them. I'm describing how it is. I live in the Maryland suburbs. It's much more mixed with blue collar mixed in where I live. Certainly not sophisticated but still urban?, it is more "east coast". East coast is actually pretty blue collar by the way. In some ways, I would say that JoCo is more "sophisticated" than much of suburban philly or baltimore for sure. But JoCo it not like NOVA. Just like any other midwest suburb is not like NOVA. Just like Bethesda MD or Annapolis MD is not like NOVA.

But again, maybe I'm using the wrong word.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:59 PM

8 posts, read 6,742 times
Quote:
I guess it is classist. I'm not saying "I'm" more sophisticated lol, but parts of NOVA has a more sophisticated feel. Maybe i'm using the wrong word. Urban? upscale? People dress up rather than down etc. I don't know.
The word you're looking for is square.

We all know the least coast is significantly lamer than KC.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:59 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,030,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
All you have to do is a quick search for the word "unfriendly" in thread titles and you'll see what I mean:

People in northern Virginia are unfriendly:
//www.city-data.com/forum/north...ght=unfriendly
People in Oregon are unfriendly:
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...tmosphere.html
People in Miami are unfriendly:
//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...ndly-city.html
People in Venice, FL are unfriendly:
//www.city-data.com/forum/saras...ght=unfriendly
People in Bend, OR are unfriendly:
//www.city-data.com/forum/bend/...ght=unfriendly
People in Port Aransas, TX are unfriendly:
//www.city-data.com/forum/corpu...nfriendly.html
People in Florence, SC are unfriendly:
//www.city-data.com/forum/south...ght=unfriendly
People in Florida are unfriendly:
//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...ght=unfriendly
People in Sacramento are unfriendly:
//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...ght=unfriendly
People in Maui are unfriendly:
//www.city-data.com/forum/maui/...ght=unfriendly
New Yorkers are unfriendly:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ght=unfriendly
Laurel, MD is unfriendly:
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ght=unfriendly

And so on, and so forth. No, there is nothing wrong with the people from all these cities. There is more likely something wrong with some people's expectations of the people around them.

I agree with this poster. The thread is based on a ridiculous premise. Enjoy debasing each other.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:08 PM

6,766 posts, read 11,394,388 times
Here’s a real life example of east coast thinking regarding the midwest. It’s old, but I imagine it’s still a prevalent thought.

My parents both grew up on the east coast (New Jersey and Baltimore). They got married in 1944, and when my Dad got out of the army in 1946, for whatever reason he decided he did not want to go to college on the GI bill but just “start life.” So they decided to move to the midwest where “people weren’t as smart and a person without a college degree wouldn’t be At a disadvantage.” That’s a direct quote from my mother, may she rest in peace.

Who knows, maybe they were right. My father ended up having a very successful career with a well known Kansas City company.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:57 PM

131 posts, read 183,111 times
This thread was bound to be predictable rubbish right down to kcmo and luzianne getting into it.

OP if you're even still reading this, don't let this thread sway you one way or the other. Its in not way representitive of the average Kansas Citian. It sounds to me you may be a less of a fit of the deep suburbs in general. JoCo or anywhere else. You may enjoy being closer to the core. Maybe try hanging out in these areas to ph if its more to your liking.

Quote:
who actually have personalities and understand us. Why do people have to be so closed minded, personality less to people
That way of looking at things along with the "feel like outsiders because we eat healthy and travel" won't win any fans anywhere though. Best of luck hope you get it sorted out.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:20 AM

11,558 posts, read 11,987,759 times
Quote:
Short answer? I was born and raised in urban KCMO. I'm from a proud KCMO family going back generations that helped build KC's iconic structures and assets. I was never disrespected nor my home city disrespected by the folks in LS or Northalnd like I was by people from from JOCO. I was able to ignore that and just deal with it, but then when JoCo started poaching companies from KCMO and really starting harming the progress of the metro, I lost all respect for the county. That's not to say that there are good people in JoCo. Obviously there are. But JoCo only wants to be a part of KC when they can take something from it (companies, sports teams etc), claim something from it (KC skyline, museums etc) or use something in KCMO, (Zoo, airport etc).

I never got that feeling from people in the MO suburbs on the same scale. Actually many in JoCo not only looked down on the city, but also the MO suburbs. If I had a buck for every time I said "Umm, there are very good schools in the MO suburbs too"...

I have never been jealous of JoCo, ever, but people there think everybody that puts down JoCo is jealous of it.

So my point is that JoCo is just not all that. It's not impressive at all to people from outside KC area and about as good as it gets for Kansas, but on a national scale, It's nothing at all. The one thing that makes JoCo a decent place to live? It's called KCMO. Without KCMO JoCo wouldn't exist.

JoCo is hostile towards its core city more than almost any other suburb I have seen in any other city. Nearly all growth in JoCo has not come organically but at the expense of KCMO and KCK and it's all heavily subsidized. The county is a fake when it comes to economic growth. The people that live in JoCo mostly don't see it or don't care. I do care. Always have.
As much as you dislike the entire KC Metro area, you were wise to move away. Find happiness in your new location!

Have worked on both sides and never saw or experienced any animosity between people who live in Kansas City, MO, in the JOCO area, or in the KCK area. Never a snide remark from anyone - never any disrespect.

Has to be difficult for anyone holding a grudge because maybe one or two people seemed to be unkind.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:36 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,131,681 times
Quote:
It wasn't an insult. SPonteKC of course is always insulted but of course, most of his posts are knee jerk insults back. .
You must have a very “sophisticated” definition of the word most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City