Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:13 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times

Advertisements

cut-orphaned
Never in my life have I smelled sewage in Downtown KCMO, especially near the Sprint Center and I used to ride a bike in downtown KCMO almost every day. And the Broadway Bridge? You are just nuts. There wouldn't be thousands of apartments going up adjacent to the bridge if it smelled like sewage. Once in a blue moon, you might get a whiff from all the industry in NKC or East Bottoms if the wind is right, but it's not that bad. That's mostly over by 435 and the MO River.

KCMO needs to replace their aging sewer infrastructure so of the river as do most older urban cities that have combined sewer systems (and they are in the process of doing that), but that really has absolutely nothing to do with anything you might smell downtown.

And the Missouri River is brown because of dirt and sand, not sewage. That's why it's called the Big Muddy.

cut

Last edited by kcmo; 10-17-2017 at 09:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 09:37 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
cut-orphaned
Never in my life have I smelled sewage in Downtown KCMO, especially near the Sprint Center and I used to ride a bike in downtown KCMO almost every day. And the Broadway Bridge? You are just nuts. There wouldn't be thousands of apartments going up adjacent to the bridge if it smelled like sewage. Once in a blue moon, you might get a whiff from all the industry in NKC or East Bottoms if the wind is right, but it's not that bad. That's mostly over by 435 and the MO River.

KCMO needs to replace their aging sewer infrastructure so of the river as do most older urban cities that have combined sewer systems (and they are in the process of doing that), but that really has absolutely nothing to do with anything you might smell downtown.

And the Missouri River is brown because of dirt and sand, not sewage. That's why it's called the Big Muddy.

cut
No, I am not nuts. Just because you haven't smelled it doesn't mean no one else has. I have definitely smelled sewage going into and coming out of the Sprint Center one more than two occasions and I'm not down there every day, so the fact that of the times I was there I smelled it is significant.

And my husband brought up the smell at Broadway Bridge and pointed it out to me because he had to cross it every day for work. YOU are nuts if you are saying it doesn't smell. It does.

I didn't call anything the Big Muddy and I never said it was because of sewage. I said that the water along Broadway Bridge looks like chocolate milk, and it DOES. My husband always says "There's the chocolate milk factory" when we drive past. Unless he's holding his breath. But if you had bothered to open the link instead of getting butt-hurt by "Big Muddy" on the link, you'd have seen that that link is about the problem and how KC plans/planned to fix it. They aren't calling it the Big Muddy because of sewage. Despite plans to fix the sewage infrastructure, I just don't see them doing much about it. Apparently since 2010 they were supposed to be fixing the sewage problem but as far as I can tell that's not happening.

Stick your head in the sand some more.

Last edited by luzianne; 10-17-2017 at 10:12 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 04:08 AM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It's no secret the KCMO has a sewage system badly in need of repair and they aren't doing anything about it.
Still?

And around the Sprint Center?

When I was researching that 2014 Next City feature on the P&L District, I was told (by former Mayor Mark Funkhouser) that a good chunk of that $295 million went towards a complete replacement of the sewer system as part of an EPA mandate. ($110 million of the $295 million went to infrastructure; the sewer replacement was part of that figure.)

Old 10-20-2017, 11:22 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Heck, I didn't even realize this was a state vs state discussion. I was just chatting back and forth with kcmo about a bike trail and came back to the thread and all hell broke loose.

I suppose if you head West on that trail you'd smell right before you got to Kansas and would be vice versa heading east.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:31 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,166,730 times
It’s no secret that Johnson County smells like old white ladies and has to cover it up by crop dusting the entire county with cheap mall perfume.

My wife used to drive through there and she says the stench was un-flippin-real. So, you know, proof.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:57 AM

684 posts, read 791,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Heck, I didn't even realize this was a state vs state discussion. I was just chatting back and forth with kcmo about a bike trail and came back to the thread and all hell broke loose.

I suppose if you head West on that trail you'd smell right before you got to Kansas and would be vice versa heading east.
I like how you said this. It was just a simple chat between you and kcmo and then, comment #8 came in..."all hell broke loose." Really sad. Simple conversations go downhill really fast when Mrs. #8 arrives.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:15 PM

404 posts, read 457,225 times
Jo County people still bonkers

Old 10-20-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Still?

And around the Sprint Center?

When I was researching that 2014 Next City feature on the P&L District, I was told (by former Mayor Mark Funkhouser) that a good chunk of that $295 million went towards a complete replacement of the sewer system as part of an EPA mandate. ($110 million of the $295 million went to infrastructure; the sewer replacement was part of that figure.)
Well, whatever they did didn't work. It smells down there. I think it's interesting how people who don't live here insist it doesn't smell.

Apparently I'm not the only one who has smelled it. Look at the review headed "Kansas City Indoor Arena" https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._Missouri.html

Old 10-21-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Well, whatever they did didn't work. It smells down there. I think it's interesting how people who don't live here insist it doesn't smell.

Apparently I'm not the only one who has smelled it. Look at the review headed "Kansas City Indoor Arena" https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._Missouri.html
Here's the review:

Reviewed February 10, 2017
Kansas City Indoor Arena
The location is good as far as being in the heart of it all. I have been here several times for different venues and for the most part I have no complaints and have not had a bad seat yet. I think their food choices could be better/higher quality, but there are many great places to eat around the sprint center and I would recommend you try one of those before your Sprint Center experience.

(Side note and I am not sure if this is a problem or something was just going on in the area last night, a small group of us were there last night to watch a comedian and the whole arena smelled horrible like sewer gasses)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g44535-d2613098-r464643914-Sprint_Center-Kansas_City_Missouri.html#

Old 10-21-2017, 10:06 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Here's the review:

Reviewed February 10, 2017
Kansas City Indoor Arena
The location is good as far as being in the heart of it all. I have been here several times for different venues and for the most part I have no complaints and have not had a bad seat yet. I think their food choices could be better/higher quality, but there are many great places to eat around the sprint center and I would recommend you try one of those before your Sprint Center experience.

(Side note and I am not sure if this is a problem or something was just going on in the area last night, a small group of us were there last night to watch a comedian and the whole arena smelled horrible like sewer gasses)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g44535-d2613098-r464643914-Sprint_Center-Kansas_City_Missouri.html#
Wow, looks like a widespread problem!!! You found a review that mentioned it!

You have to be kidding me.

Can we get back to discussing the Lewis and Clark Viaduct and KCK's ideals on how to modify it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City