Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,182 times

Advertisements

I have a very complicated situation that I made for myself and I am now exploring how to make it right. I don't know where to start and I want to know all the answers so I am prepared before hand for what it will cost me.

I purchased a vehicle in missouri in august of last year. I didn't know that missouri didn't require the loans to cover the taxes on the car (since I lived in kansas). I couldn't afford the taxes (living paycheck to paycheck) so I used tags from my old car (similar make and same color). I recently moved to another state (florida) and I want to get tags/new state insurance/and a florida's driver's license. How would I do this? How much is it going to cost since I never paid taxes and had the car tagged?

any help here would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 03:29 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
You can't just take a car to another state to get out of paying sales tax. Normally, you would simply show FL that you have the car registered in MO and since it's been more than six months, you would normally not have to pay FL any sales tax. If less than six months, you would have had to pay the difference to FL or about 1.75%.

Since you don't have the car properly registered in MO (and never paid sales tax to do that), then you would be bringing the car into Florida as a new purchase, so the car would be subject to the Florida 6% sales tax.

So you now are going to pay 6% sales tax instead of the 4% MO sales tax you should have paid when you bought the car.

You may have title issues and other problems created by not properly registering the car as well.

Good luck.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:55 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
MO sales tax would have been greater than 4 percent. They collect all the city and county add ons based on the address where you live. Where I live (Kansas City - Clay County) that’s an additional 4.225 percent.

here’s a calculator to determine Missouri sales tax on vehicles:

Motor Vehicle, Trailer, ATV and Watercraft Tax Calculator

HOWEVER, re-reading the OP, it appears they lived in Kansas and just bought the car in Missouri, so Missouri sales tax never enters into the picture. I think the easiest way to rectify this would just go to Florida DOR and register it as a new purchase. Of course there will be fines for waiting so long.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:15 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
The car would have needed to be registered in Kansas, not Missouri. He bought it in Missouri but lived in Kansas.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
MO sales tax would have been greater than 4 percent. They collect all the city and county add ons based on the address where you live. Where I live (Kansas City - Clay County) that’s an additional 4.225 percent.

here’s a calculator to determine Missouri sales tax on vehicles:

Motor Vehicle, Trailer, ATV and Watercraft Tax Calculator

HOWEVER, re-reading the OP, it appears they lived in Kansas and just bought the car in Missouri, so Missouri sales tax never enters into the picture. I think the easiest way to rectify this would just go to Florida DOR and register it as a new purchase. Of course there will be fines for waiting so long.
I stand corrected on the tax rates. Jesus, every time I see the sales taxes in MO and KS, it blows my mind. KS is 7.3% to 9.775%. So it's 8-10% in both states.

Everybody thinks the midwest is low taxes. On top of that, you have property taxes on Vehicles which can be several hundred dollars a year on newer nicer car.

Here in MD, sales tax maxes out at 6% no matter where you are and there is no property taxes on vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The car would have needed to be registered in Kansas, not Missouri. He bought it in Missouri but lived in Kansas.
The same thing applies to KS.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:41 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I stand corrected on the tax rates. Jesus, every time I see the sales taxes in MO and KS, it blows my mind. KS is 7.3% to 9.775%.
Since almost every retail store in Clay and Platte County is in a TIF, I’m paying close to 10% sales tax most places. I’m seriously questioning why we moved back here from Oklahoma. Due to Mr. Dokie’s disabled veteran status, we paid neither sales nor property taxes down there and got a big break on car registration fees. Oh well. Family is more important than taxes.....

Old 10-25-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:

The same thing applies to KS.

Uh....yeah? All I was saying is that you said the car should have been registered in Missouri when actually it should have been registered in Kansas since that's where he lived.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Uh....yeah? All I was saying is that you said the car should have been registered in Missouri when actually it should have been registered in Kansas since that's where he lived.
jesus, you have to have the last word on even the most trivial threads... That's fine. It's the same deal in MO or KS. Now the OP must pay taxes in FL.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
jesus, you have to have the last word on even the most trivial threads... That's fine. It's the same deal in MO or KS. Now the OP must pay taxes in FL.
Wow, how insecure/touchy are you that I pointed out your mistake? You responded to me and I responded back to you. Understand how that works? I see now that someone else pointed out the same thing. Why didn't you jump on them?

Old 11-07-2017, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,182 times
Thanks for the help everyone, you are right. It should have been registered in Kansas. However, the fact remains it has never been tagged (or taxes paid for) and it is now in florida, but I need to tag it and pay taxes. Can I do this, if so will I just have to pay the Taxes (as if new purchase) and penalty in florida. I don't have to go back to kansas or missouri do I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City