Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,554 times

Advertisements

We are a middle-aged couple, have a small fiber wool-sheep farm with geese and other birds, have one last child to homeschool, love trees and hills, volunteering and anything to do with the arts. My husband now has a research scientist position in Shawnee Mission in KC. We are moving as soon as our house sells. Would love some direction/answers.

1. Are there small/er towns that are welcoming of outsiders that are within say less than an hour commute to Shawnee Mission?
2. Anyone know of art classes or volunteer opportunities for teens in the area?
3. Opinions on hospitals in the area. Which are easier to work with. Which have more options? etc...
4. Are there more common areas to find farms; north, south, east or west side?
5. Worst areas of traffic to stay away from as well as high crime areas.

Oh, and we aren't stuck right now on only living on one side or the other. Should we be???

Thanks, we really appreciate your answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 06:32 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,071 times
Quick point of order: Shawnee Mission isn't a town. Can you be more specific about the location of your husband's job?

Old 12-25-2017, 07:02 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Just to expand a bit on Rwiksell’s post, “Shawnee Mission” is actually a post office name in the NE part of Johnson County, encompassing a huge delivery area of all the zip codes starting with 662. It includes the cities of Overland Park, Prairie Village, Mission, Shawnee, Merriam, Leawood, Lenexa, westwood, etc.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:32 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
The fact that Shawnee Mission isn't a town is neither here nor there. Exactly where in Shawnee Mission will he be working? If it's south, I would look south from Louisburg to Paola. If west, western Shawnee/Lenexa/Desoto.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The fact that Shawnee Mission isn't a town is neither here nor there. Exactly where in Shawnee Mission will he be working? If it's south, I would look south from Louisburg to Paola. If west, western Shawnee/Lenexa/Desoto.
For crying out loud, don't get defensive.

I wasn't putting down Shawnee Mission. I was just saying it's too vague a term to be helpful here. And it's probably important for transplants to the area to realize that locals don't use the term "Shawnee Mission" unless they're referring to the school district.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
For crying out loud, don't get defensive.

I wasn't putting down Shawnee Mission. I was just saying it's too vague a term to be helpful here. And it's probably important for transplants to the area to realize that locals don't use the term "Shawnee Mission" unless they're referring to the school district.
I didn't say you were putting down Shawnee Mission, and I'm not defensive. What the heck? I was only saying that it doesn't make a difference whether Shawnee Mission is a town or not. It's not big, and it's really not important at all. If you say Shawnee Mission, everyone knows what you are talking about. It's not a big deal that the OP called it Shawnee Mission.

I grew up here and it's always been called Shawnee Mission and not just the school district.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I didn't say you were putting down Shawnee Mission, and I'm not defensive. What the heck? I was only saying that it doesn't make a difference whether Shawnee Mission is a town or not. It's not big, and it's really not important at all. If you say Shawnee Mission, everyone knows what you are talking about. It's not a big deal that the OP called it Shawnee Mission.

I grew up here and it's always been called Shawnee Mission and not just the school district.
OK, whatever. I should have just said to the OP "please be more specific".

Old 12-26-2017, 12:01 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Quote:

Two more examples of what makes luzianne such a valuable contributor here.

OP, luzianne's advice is solid gold.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Two more examples of what makes luzianne such a valuable contributor here.

OP, luzianne's advice is solid gold.
I'm pretty sure at least 25% of your posts on this forum are to butter up luzianne.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
I'm pretty sure at least 25% of your posts on this forum are to butter up luzianne.
We like each other!

Oh, and my post above where I said "it's not big" - I meant to say it's not a big deal. But Shawnee Mission isn't a huge area, either, so I guess it works to say it's not big too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City