Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 07:12 AM

654 posts, read 631,347 times

Advertisements

I know next time I need to go to Arrowhead, I will just take the Paseo Freeway, get off at the Van Brunt Extension, and it should drop me off in the parking lot, ready to fire up my grill...right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 08:58 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Well, they obviously intended to profile KCK. I originally thought you meant they attributed things in KCMO to KCK, but everything they talk about actually is KCK. Maybe they didn't want to profile two cities in one state and since they already included St. Louis they didn't include KCMO too.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:25 PM

658 posts, read 722,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
As I live and work among the clueless Easterners, I can attest that the confusion is widespread. I will, however, get an occasional "Kansas or Missouri?" from someone when I tell them where I'm originally from - I always omit the state name after the city, as residents of the area tend to do when referring to the city in Missouri.

When I don't, and the response indicating they think I'm a Kansan strikes me as particularly uninformed, I have an arch reply:

"If I were from Kansas City, Kansas, I would have said so."
Sorry to burst your ego bubble but most folks don't care one whit whether you're in Kansas or Missouri. Did you ever consider that? It's not that everyone is clueless, they just don't care. It does not matter. I grew up in NYC and had to reason to study the ins and outs of a tiny city, whatever you want to call it. Next to NYC, that place IS tiny.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:39 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
Sorry to burst your ego bubble but most folks don't care one whit whether you're in Kansas or Missouri. Did you ever consider that? It's not that everyone is clueless, they just don't care. It does not matter. I grew up in NYC and had to reason to study the ins and outs of a tiny city, whatever you want to call it. Next to NYC, that place IS tiny.
That attitude feeds the inferiority complex the city's only recently shed.

Though if you go back to that famous Saul Steinberg New Yorker cover, the one with the Manhattanite's view of the United States, Kansas City does show up on it.

And next to New York City, every other city in the US aside from LA, and maybe Chicago, Philly and Houston, is tiny. You can knock that off too.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:26 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Well, they obviously intended to profile KCK. I originally thought you meant they attributed things in KCMO to KCK, but everything they talk about actually is KCK. Maybe they didn't want to profile two cities in one state and since they already included St. Louis they didn't include KCMO too.
Again, I'm not anti-KCK. In fact, I think more people around the country should know about it. I even think Johnson County deserves more national attention than it gets.

I'll grant that there's a tiny chance the author was really intentional about profiling KCK specifically. But in light of the rest of the list, I can't for the life of me imagine why. Here are a few scenarios imagining her mindset:

1. "I'm going to profile the 50 most populous cities/metros in the US"
-In: KCMO
-Out: KCK
-Also out: Birmingham, Burlington, Cheyenne, Hartford, Little Rock, Newark, Newport, Portland ME, Rapid City, Tucson, Virginia Beach

2. "I'm going to profile the biggest city in each state"
-In: Wichita
-In: KCMO (if judging by city proper population, otherwise out)
-Also out: Austin, San Francisco, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh

3. "I'm going to profile the largest population center in each state"
-In: Maaaaybe KCK, but then it should include Johnson County as well, since there are 3 times as many people in JoCo as in WyCo.
-Also in: Newark (it's in there)
-Out: KCMO
-Also out: Lots of cities currently in the book

4. "I'm going to profile the unsung secondary municipalities within larger metro areas"
-In: KCK (Sure, why not)
-Possibly in: Independence, Oakland, Fort Worth, etc
-Also out: Almost all of the cities currently in there.

In other words, I just don't understand what she was going for with this list.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:58 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Again, I'm not anti-KCK. In fact, I think more people around the country should know about it. I even think Johnson County deserves more national attention than it gets.

I'll grant that there's a tiny chance the author was really intentional about profiling KCK specifically. But in light of the rest of the list, I can't for the life of me imagine why. Here are a few scenarios imagining her mindset:

1. "I'm going to profile the 50 most populous cities/metros in the US"
-In: KCMO
-Also out: Birmingham, Burlington, Cheyenne, Hartford, Little Rock, Newark, Newport, Portland ME, Rapid City, Tucson, Virginia Beach

2. "I'm going to profile the biggest city in each state"
-In: Wichita
-In: KCMO (if judging by city proper population, otherwise out)
-Also out: Austin, San Francisco, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh

3. "I'm going to profile the largest population center in each state"
-In: Maaaaybe KCK, but then it should include Johnson County as well, since there are 3 times as many people in JoCo as in WyCo.
-Also out: Lots of cities currently in the book

4. "I'm going to profile the unsung secondary municipalities within larger metro areas"
-In: KCK (Sure, why not)
-Possibly in: Independence, Oakland, Fort Worth, etc
-Also out: Almost all of the cities currently in there.

In other words, I just don't understand what she was going for with this list.
Why don't you find her online and ask her?

Old 02-08-2018, 06:34 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
Thats so amazing. Thanks for your really unique perspective. It’s truly fascinating to hear.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
I was thinking about it, actually. I'll take your suggestion as confirmation that it needs to happen.

To be honest, I'm not even sure how to phrase the question. I guess in a two-part: "1. Did you MEAN to profile KCK instead of KCMO, and if so, 2. Why?"

Old 02-09-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I took your advice:

"I ran across your book 50 Cities, and really enjoyed the artwork, and the whole concept. (I am a self-confessed map nerd AND city nerd.)

One big question occurred to me, though. What was the thinking behind profiling the city of Kansas City, Kansas (KCK) while Kansas City, Missouri (KCMO) was omitted? KCK is only the 3rd-largest municipality within the Kansas City metro, and not only is KCMO the central city of that metro, but it's 3 times larger than KCK. Also, 90% of the cultural attractions in the metro are located in KCMO.

I will grant that the decision to include KCK may have been wholly intentional, but if so I was just curious about the reasoning behind it.

Many thanks! Keep 'em coming!"

Old 02-14-2018, 03:07 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Well, TripAdviser is not sure where the KC Streetcar is. They probably had it in Kansas till somebody complained. Now it's in Missouri City.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Missouri.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City