Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 09:21 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,330,482 times

Advertisements

I know the Univ. of Kansas is only 40 miles away - is the Missouri side still mostly UM Tigers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 10:44 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,693,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I know the Univ. of Kansas is only 40 miles away - is the Missouri side still mostly UM Tigers?
The MO side in general is not quite as passionate about college sports as the KS side. I think a lot it has to do with the fact that Missourians simply have more entertainment options in not only sports such as major league sports, but also other cultural interests. The KS side is very vocal or visual about college sports. Kansans are very much like the fans in Nebraska, Oklahoma etc where college sports is king and many people’s entire lives are based around KU, NU, OU etc.

That said, KU is huge on the KS side, but does penetrate deep into the MO side as well. The school is just so close to KC.

But...I would wager that there are still far more general MU fans on the MO side than KU fans. As I said, they are not as crazy about it, but when MU plays KU, the MU fans come out of the woodwork and easily dwarf the KU fans (on the MO side).

The difference is when the game is over, the MO people go back to living life, the KS side fans live and die by KU and never let go.

But there are some die hard KU fans in MO and even a few die hard MU fans in KS.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:48 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,951,567 times
I think KU is by far the most popular team in KC on both the KS and MO side.

I grew up in KCMO and pretty much most everyone I grew up with was a KU fan. I'm a hardcore KU fan.

I still live on the Missouri side and still know very few MU fans.

UMKC doesnt really have a lot of sports and the ones they do have they arent very good so they arent so popular.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:51 PM

592 posts, read 2,124,081 times
KU, KSU, MU, NU, and even to some extent OU are all pretty well represented. KU has a lot of bandwagoners that are present in KC. That's natural, considering their history on the hardwood.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:13 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,815,494 times
The University of Kansas does seem to have a slight edge on the Missouri side. BUT, the percentage of die-hards is much lower there. On the Missouri side of KC, you'll see a good bit more Royals and Chiefs paraphernalia than you will on the Kansas side.
My personal favorite is UMKC. One can't go wrong with a Kangaroo... the best mascot known to man.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:57 PM

83 posts, read 395,923 times
Here's the interesting thing: go in any sports store in KCMO, Independence, Lee's Summit, etc, and you'll find about an even split of KU and MU gear. Take a SHORT trip across the state line into Kansas, and you'll be hard pressed to find ANY MU gear being displayed prominently, if being sold at all..

As an outsider and impartial witness, after being here almost a year, I feel KCMO is definitely a KU town.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:45 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,693,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue1906 View Post
Here's the interesting thing: go in any sports store in KCMO, Independence, Lee's Summit, etc, and you'll find about an even split of KU and MU gear. Take a SHORT trip across the state line into Kansas, and you'll be hard pressed to find ANY MU gear being displayed prominently, if being sold at all..

As an outsider and impartial witness, after being here almost a year, I feel KCMO is definitely a KU town.
Right, but what I was saying is that the Missouri side, and Missouri in general (outstate, St Louis), is more into pro sports than college sports, especially when it comes to buying jerseys, and displaying that you are a specific college fan.

In MO, you are more likely to see people wearing KC Royals and Chiefs gear or no gear at all where in Kansas, a huge amount of people are always wearing college sports gear, all the time. But, as I also stated, MO fans will come out to support their team on game day. They outnumbered the KU/MU game (which was a KU home game) at Arrowhead and even come out and support basketball games at Kemper (or Sprint). And the games in Columbia draw well. Basically Missouri is more of a big city state and Kansas is more of a college town state. I grew up in KCMO and didn’t even think about KU or MU till I began working in an office with all the college fans. I grew up with the Royals and Chiefs and Kings and followed the Blues and Cards. I now just "pull" for MU, but still don't really get into college sports.

But I would agree that KU "basketball" is very popular across the entire metro area. MU football is much more popular than KU football is though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City