Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How "Southern" is Kansas City?
Significantly more Midwestern than Southern 80 71.43%
Moderately more Midwestern than Southern 21 18.75%
Moderately more Southern than Midwestern 2 1.79%
Significantly more Southern than Midwestern 1 0.89%
About equally Midwestern and Southern 8 7.14%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 05:45 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,349,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
So, in your opinion, what similarities do you notice between KC & places like Birmingham, Memphis, Atlanta, or Jackson...?

I can name far more between KC & Milwaukee than I can between KC and any of the other places I mentioned, which are in the actual south.
I don't see a lot of similarities between KC and Milwaukee. I think St. Louis would be a lot better comparison to Milwaukee to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 07:32 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,168,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I don't see a lot of similarities between KC and Milwaukee. I think St. Louis would be a lot better comparison to Milwaukee to use.
I can think of lots of similarities between all 3 (probably as many between Milwaukee and KC as between Milwaukee and StL, or StL and KC for that matter). Chief among these is that they are all medium sized midwestern cities. That doesn’t mean they are identical, or that any of them is more midwestern than any of the others.

Everything in the Midwest is midwestern. What’s in the Midwest defines what it is, how it is and what its like. Not vice versa.

The apples aren’t “more pie” than the crust, you goofballs.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:52 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,765,828 times
Not very southern, but has influences. So does Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, and well, pretty much every rust belt town. Especially St. Louis.
Nothing unique.
KC is definitely more midwestern than anything.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Not very southern, but has influences. So does Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, and well, pretty much every rust belt town. Especially St. Louis.
Nothing unique.
KC is definitely more midwestern than anything.
KC has more southern influences than Milwaukee and Chicago lol. The transition zone starts just below KC.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:44 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,765,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
KC has more southern influences than Milwaukee and Chicago lol. The transition zone starts just below KC.
Yes I know. I was thinking of the migration north that happened with my parent's generation when I wrote that, where seemingly half of them left the south for work in factories up north.

Kansas City just doesn't seem all that different than its midwestern peers, especially among lower midwest towns. Yet, it seems to be described as being southern more than the rest of them.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Yes I know. I was thinking of the migration north that happened with my parent's generation when I wrote that, where seemingly half of them left the south for work in factories up north.

Kansas City just doesn't seem all that different than its midwestern peers, especially among lower midwest towns. Yet, it seems to be described as being southern more than the rest of them.
Missouri as a whole there is a lot of debate about how southern the state is.

You don't see this with any other midwestern state. Why? One thing it was a slave state, second it was admitted by Confederate Congress, third, a chunk of the state is located in the south, and religion wise MO has a lot of southern Baptist. IL and IN don't have a decent chunk of the state in the south, were not slave states and don't have a chunk of the southern dialect region covering it like MO does.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:41 PM

Here is an unrelated news story from Holden MO just now from the fair. Notice the booth with Confederate battle flags in the background. It's a story about an exhibit with Claire McCaskill and shooting a toy gun at it, but anyway I'm just pointing out the booth in the background.

This is an area just south of KC I was talking about is part of that transition zone and Little Dixie and how you see stuff like this in this part of the state which has some southern influences still.

You don't see this that much in true midwestern states like WI, Indiana, Illinois or Kansas. Unless you're in far southern IN and IL you might see the flag from time to time since they're in the transition zone but even in the middle of MO and north of the MO river you still see it.

I believe it's one of the local Sons of Confederate Veterans orgs.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news...fair-draws-ire

Old 08-27-2018, 06:30 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
I wonder how much you can tell by the selection of radio stations in the area? I'm guessing country and christian probably edges out all other stations.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:18 AM

654 posts, read 632,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I wonder how much you can tell by the selection of radio stations in the area? I'm guessing country and christian probably edges out all other stations.
Maybe it's just because I don't know where they are on the dial, but I don't get the impression the country and christian stations make up the majority of stations in KC. Maybe if you include the outlying area, but I have 90.9, 91.5, 93.3, 94.9, 96.5. 98.9, 99.7, 101.1, 105.1 and 105.5 on my car radio pre sets and none of them are country or christian.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:20 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,168,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
You’d be wrong. The top station is an oldies station, then a “classic rock” station. The rock and pop stations have more listeners than all the country stations combined. In fact the top country station only edges out the hip-hop and R&B station by 0.1 market share, which is about 30K listeners in our market. There’s not a Christian radio station in the top 20 in the market.

Not sure that “do they listen to country music?” is the best litmus test if the theory is the heart of the Midwest is Pecatonica, IL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City