Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2018, 01:57 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,243 times

Advertisements

I’ve been out of the metro area for about 9 months now and here are the things I miss about KC:

*lack of traffic
*central areas of convergence where the entire city comes together. I am in a bigger metro area but everything feels so disconnected - people don’t come to one area like the plaza or crown center.
*KC has much less of a ‘keeping up with the joneses’ mentality - aside from a few pockets it seems like the city is not bought into the hypercapitalism or status-seeking.
*I miss the kindness of KC people.
*for a person without kids, I actually miss the family-centered atmosphere of KC.
*suprisingly I have yet to find that the food is much better. Certain restaurants may be, but overall it’s all about the same. KC more than holds its own in the culinary scene.
*if you think a city has better public transportation than KC...maybe they have a bigger system but try dealing with breakdowns and public transportation reliability issues. It’s a nightmare.

So, grass is always greener....for me, I’ve learned an important lesson: bigger isn’t always better, taking a job that pays more isn’t ways the best option, etc.

I see myself coming back some day...especially because my wife’s family is in KC and we miss them. The takeaway for me is that you gotta like what you have, KC because it ain’t that much better anywhere else. Now if only they could take KC and put it on a lakefront it would be pretty amazing. But you can’t have everything I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 05:02 PM

264 posts, read 250,497 times
What metro have you been in for the past 9 months? I have been in Dallas/Houston for a week and using your points I'll compare as well.

*The metroplex and Houston have deplorable traffic. KC wins in terms of less traffic of any metro in its tier and above.
*I guess it's true but I mean it's not one of things I would really miss if I ever left KC. I feel Houston and Dallas residents have pretty decent pride about their city and especially their state.
*Houston people are pretty kind (except when driving) and Texas in general have really nice people
*Food variety in Houston and the Metroplex trumps Kansas City every day of the week but that is a given considering they are large and way more diverse. I can still say though that Kansas City is king in American BBQ and does well as a food city in its tier.
*Public transport I can't really comment because I rarely use public transit

Kansas City is a great place and I am proud to be born and raised here. However, I do really like bigger metropolises so long-term I will probably not remain in KC until I die.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:59 PM

165 posts, read 143,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietInKC View Post
What metro have you been in for the past 9 months? I have been in Dallas/Houston for a week and using your points I'll compare as well.

*The metroplex and Houston have deplorable traffic. KC wins in terms of less traffic of any metro in its tier and above.
*I guess it's true but I mean it's not one of things I would really miss if I ever left KC. I feel Houston and Dallas residents have pretty decent pride about their city and especially their state.
*Houston people are pretty kind (except when driving) and Texas in general have really nice people
*Food variety in Houston and the Metroplex trumps Kansas City every day of the week but that is a given considering they are large and way more diverse. I can still say though that Kansas City is king in American BBQ and does well as a food city in its tier.
*Public transport I can't really comment because I rarely use public transit

Kansas City is a great place and I am proud to be born and raised here. However, I do really like bigger metropolises so long-term I will probably not remain in KC until I die.
I lived in Houston for much of my adult life. I have to disagree with much of your assessment. Frankly, I think KC citizens have much more pride in their city than Houston. My experience in Houston is that most people come for jobs with plans to leave when that job is done. Of my colleagues, a few really enjoyed Houston, most planned on leaving upon retirement. For many, the monotony of Houston's flat terrain and oppressive extended summer climate and flooding issues was a huge negative.

In terms of restaurants, yes, the sheer number of restaurants in Houston is overwhelming and there is massive diversity. That said, I prefer KC's restaurant scene for everything but mexican food. The biggest advantage KC has is that for a modest sized city, it has a very good restaurant scene that goes well beyond just BBQ and nearly any restaurant is accessible from any point in the city. In Houston, traffic woes (which you point out) keep many from venturing from their homes. Living in the burbs, I got sick of commuting to Houston and eventually gave up on dining out in the city except for special occasions and on weekends. Traffic is absolutely horrible in the city and the burbs. Drivers are commonly dangerous and rude and I consider it, along with climate and living on the Gulf Coast, as the biggest drawbacks of living in there. I was more than happy to take a transfer when offered.

Last edited by KC_Retiree; 12-01-2018 at 09:42 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 08:55 AM

264 posts, read 250,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Retiree View Post
I lived in Houston for much of my adult life. I have to disagree with much of your assessment. Frankly, I think KC citizens have much more pride in their city than Houston. My experience in Houston is that most people come for jobs with plans to leave when that job is done. Of my colleagues, a few really enjoyed Houston, most planned on leaving upon retirement. For many, the monotony of Houston's flat terrain and oppressive extended summer climate and flooding issues was a huge negative.

In terms of restaurants, yes, the sheer number of restaurants in Houston is overwhelming and there is massive diversity. That said, I prefer KC's restaurant scene for everything but mexican food. The biggest advantage KC has is that for a modest sized city, it has a very good restaurant scene that goes well beyond just BBQ and nearly any restaurant is accessible from any point in the city. In Houston, traffic woes (which you point out) keep many from venturing from their homes. Living in the burbs, I got sick of commuting to Houston and eventually gave up on dining out in the city except for special occasions and on weekends. Traffic is absolutely horrible in the city and the burbs. Drivers are commonly dangerous and rude and I consider it, along with climate and living on the Gulf Coast, as the biggest drawbacks of living in there. I was more than happy to take a transfer when offered.
Well I do agree that Kansas Citians have big pride for their city including me. I mean I still remember that picture where 800,000 gathered at Union Station to celebrate the 2015 World Series win. Probably because Kansas City itself is pretty underrated we take more pride in our city. When we have friends or relatives come over we want to show them all that KC has to offer.

My relatives live in West Houston around the Bellaire Blvd area also known as Chinatown and Little Saigon. Therefore, you didn't really have to hit the highways to have access to great restaurants. You'll tire trying to eat at every single restaurant the area has to offer because there are sooooooooooo many of them. In my opinion, Houston's Vietnamese cuisine might be second to none. And I am even counting Orange County, San Jose in that discussion. They also give bigger proportions because Texas.

I do prefer Kansas City weather because of 4 seasons. Though to be honest, I don't place weather that high on my criteria for residing in a city. Even though humid, Asians like me love just in general warm weather but I don't mind the cold either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City