Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 12:35 AM

49 posts, read 99,128 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Chicago area and want to take a trip to Denver through Iowa and Nebraska on the way there and Kansas and Missouri on the way back. I would spend time in Omaha for a day on the way there and Kansas City on the way back.

While I can't possibly see half of what the city has to offer in a day, I would like to go to a really good barbecue place while I'm there. It doesn't have to be anything extravagant, just good food! Also, while I'd exercise some caution as an outsider, being from the Chicago area, I'm pretty open-minded to restaurants in more working class areas, which I know is the case for a lot of good BBQ in my city. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 03:28 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locain View Post
You cannot go wrong trying these locations.

Gates and Sons BBQ [12th and Brooklyn location, 2 blocks from I-70 ]

Q39 [on West 39th St]

Fiorella's "Jackstack" [downtown near Crown Center and Union Station]

Danny Edward's BBQ on Southwest Boulevard [NOTE closes at 3pm]

I would normally list Arthur Bryants BBQ, but cannot recommend it after my last 2 visits there.
It is very, very inconsistent service and food quality. I strongly do not recommend it.
I'd also put Joe's Kansas City BBQ on the list (the gas station location at Mission Rd and W 47th St).

I agree with you on Arthur Bryants. I was not a big fan at all on my last trip there.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:54 PM

435 posts, read 175,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
I'd also put Joe's Kansas City BBQ on the list (the gas station location at Mission Rd and W 47th St).

I agree with you on Arthur Bryants. I was not a big fan at all on my last trip there.
We used to go to KC for football games, and made it a point to do the tour of BBQ. As of 5 years ago Oklahoma Joe's was the unanimous favorite of everyone in our group. I heard they changed their name, and it was in a gas station, so I am guessing they are now Joe's Kansas City referenced in the post above.

If you want a nicer place, Jack Stack's sp? It was a little classier than most of the places, they have waiters. Beware of something called 'the ultimate experience' it gave me the meat sweats, and I am confident it took about 7 years off my life.

Arthur Bryants was ok, in my opinion, it was cool for the history, BBQ was good, but not better than Joe's which is why we have only been to Arthur Bryant's once.

Gates is the only one I never liked, the sauce tasted like celery to me, but others in our group didn't seem to mind, we never went back there either.

I have heard some great ones have opened up more recently, I need to get back to KC.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:56 PM

264 posts, read 249,848 times
Joe's BBQ is definitely at the top of my list. It has the right amount of both grit and friendliness. In my opinion there are the upscale BBQ restaurants that are a bit overpriced (no surprise because of decor and service) and those that are more gritty and geared more towards locals which sometimes makes the customer service poor . Here is the list of places I have been to separated into those categories.

The Upscale:
- Jack Stack's
- Q39
- Char Bar (Westport)
- Smokehouse BBQ (Don't go here)

The Gritty
- LC's off of Blue Pkwy
- Arthur Bryants
- Gates BBQ

And in my opinion Joe's KC BBQ falls in between. Service is excellent. Good bang for your buck. It doesn't feel fake. People argue for authenticity because they put mozzarella cheese on their signature sandwich (the Z man) but I really couldn't give less of a crap about that. Since from your post it seems you'll be alone any option no matter what setting should be okay to go to.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:22 PM

165 posts, read 142,806 times
My favorites are Fiorella's Jackstack in the CrossRoads, the original Bryant's location which is on Brooklyn in KCMO (the one in KCK has disappointed me on several visits), Q39 on 39th Street, Char Bar in Westport and Joe's KC which is a few blocks west of Westport in KCK. Joe's KC has also recently opened a restaurant in the P&L District downtown called County Road Ice House which I have not visited yet but plan to next time I'm in town. Reviews I've read have been very good (despite the country music theme). These are all in or near the KC urban center and a few of these are pretty pricey (Jack Stack and Q39).

There are a plethora of good bbq restaurants a little further afield too but it's been a while since I've dined at most of them.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:46 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Jack Stack, Q39 and Joe's KC are all good. I go to the suburban Kansas locations because they are more convenient for me and the food at all three is the same as the urban locations.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
There are loads of neighborhood joints that never make the must-do list, which gets dominated by the brochure faves of Gates, Arthur Bryant's, Joe's KC, and Fiorella's Jack Stack...and Q39 seems to be positioning itself with the big dogs in some people's estimation. But there are a number that are great BBQ experiences, only they don't come up on KC BBQ Buzzfeed lists and the like.

Of the heavy hitters, Gates is the only one I'm super lukewarm on. I'll eat it, especially their catering spreads, which always seem better to me than when I dine in. But I never say, "Man, I'm craving some Gates." The other biggies are all better, IMO. Bryant's used to be my top pick, but I agree with others who've said it's become inconsistent. I still like their sauce best, because it's unlike really any other sauce in the city, and the location itself on Brooklyn has history. Now, I'm likely to choose Joe's KC, though I really won't wait in the line if it's out the door. I go to the original Mission Road and County Line gas station location, because it's closest and coolest. Jack Stack is qualilty, but I've never been into the ambience. It just doesn't square with BBQ, for me. Q39 has not impressed me, and there's a similar "I don't like the ambience" issue to Jack Stack.

Of the lesser touted places, I like Woodyard for the ambience (it is literally a woodyard) and meats, but the sides are mediocre. BB's Lawnside is fun and unique, and has live blues reguarly. Hayward's Pit BBQ is kind of off the beaten path, and has some great sides. Rosedale is an old school place that offers a lot of sides other places don't, like fried green tomatoes. RJ's does a Cajun twist and also has live music, but they've done some jacking around with their pricing that has turned me off. LC's has super burnt ends.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:46 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
^^^^ I’m not a fan of RJ’s AT ALL. I liked Hayward’s better at their old locations, particularly their original location. Now it’s more a biker bar atmosphere. I used to love Zarda but they used to be better. I think Zarda has the best baked beans of any BBQ place in KC, though. Rosedale used to be my go-to but I haven’t been there in years because the location’s just not convenient for me, so I can’t vouch for the current food. Gates is meh to me. Fast food BBQ. Wyandot BbQ isn’t bad for cheap, hole in the wall, definitely not gourmet BBQ. Pretty ghetto actually. I haven’t eaten LC’s in years. Burnt End BBQ is okay; nothing spectacular.

It’s a chain, but I’d like to try Famous Dave’s.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:07 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
^^^^ I’m not a fan of RJ’s AT ALL. I liked Hayward’s better at their old locations, particularly their original location. Now it’s more a biker bar atmosphere. I used to love Zarda but they used to be better. I think Zarda has the best baked beans of any BBQ place in KC, though. Rosedale used to be my go-to but I haven’t been there in years because the location’s just not convenient for me, so I can’t vouch for the current food. Gates is meh to me. Fast food BBQ. Wyandot BbQ isn’t bad for cheap, hole in the wall, definitely not gourmet BBQ. Pretty ghetto actually. I haven’t eaten LC’s in years. Burnt End BBQ is okay; nothing spectacular.

It’s a chain, but I’d like to try Famous Dave’s.
You really can't go wrong anywhere in KC with bbq. You have to go to difference places for different things though. Some have better beef, some have better beans etc. And KC bbq is not one type of bbq, it can taste very different depending on where you go. It's not like Carolina or Texas or Memphis where you pretty much get the same thing everywhere.

Don't waste your time with Famous Dave’s. It is terrible. I can't believe they survived as long as they did in KC.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:37 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
There are loads of neighborhood joints that never make the must-do list, which gets dominated by the brochure faves of Gates, Arthur Bryant's, Joe's KC, and Fiorella's Jack Stack...and Q39 seems to be positioning itself with the big dogs in some people's estimation. But there are a number that are great BBQ experiences, only they don't come up on KC BBQ Buzzfeed lists and the like.

Of the heavy hitters, Gates is the only one I'm super lukewarm on. I'll eat it, especially their catering spreads, which always seem better to me than when I dine in. But I never say, "Man, I'm craving some Gates." The other biggies are all better, IMO. Bryant's used to be my top pick, but I agree with others who've said it's become inconsistent. I still like their sauce best, because it's unlike really any other sauce in the city, and the location itself on Brooklyn has history. Now, I'm likely to choose Joe's KC, though I really won't wait in the line if it's out the door. I go to the original Mission Road and County Line gas station location, because it's closest and coolest. Jack Stack is qualilty, but I've never been into the ambience. It just doesn't square with BBQ, for me. Q39 has not impressed me, and there's a similar "I don't like the ambience" issue to Jack Stack.

Of the lesser touted places, I like Woodyard for the ambience (it is literally a woodyard) and meats, but the sides are mediocre. BB's Lawnside is fun and unique, and has live blues reguarly. Hayward's Pit BBQ is kind of off the beaten path, and has some great sides. Rosedale is an old school place that offers a lot of sides other places don't, like fried green tomatoes. RJ's does a Cajun twist and also has live music, but they've done some jacking around with their pricing that has turned me off. LC's has super burnt ends.

Was in KC for a conference in mid-winter, ate at that gas station, I am fairly certain we are talking about the same place. I would say that Joe's KC can hardly be beat. Price was not bad either. And, as you say, the ambience is what I personally think goes with BBQ.

Although - ambience for BBQ - it seems to me that if the building looks like it should be condemned, that's actually a good sign that the chow will be first-rate. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City