U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 09:25 AM

6 posts, read 5,249 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

We're a family of 5 (kids ages 8, 5 and 1) thinking about moving to Prairie Village from a suburb of Pittsburgh PA called Mt. Lebanon. Our reason for this move is that all of our family lives in the area. This will not be an easy move for us because we absolutely love where we are now (very safe, very walkable, award-winning public schools, beautiful architecture, unique geography, quaint, block parties, small town feel, tight-knit community), but life gets really hard with kids and no family around. Initially, we thought Brookside would be our best bet, but we can't afford private school, unfortunately. We're still in the research phase, but everything seems to indicate that PV would be the best fit for us. We might come visit and stay at some Airbnb at some point, but for now we have some specific questions:

1. Do you see people outside walking, jogging on a daily basis? Or all you see is cars and houses?

2. Are there sidewalks that connect all the main points of interest in PV like parks, rec center, pool, schools, library, shops?

3. Do kids normally walk/bike to school? Are there crossing guards around the schools?

4. Do kids play outside with their friends?

5. Are the playgrounds usually crowded with kids when it's nice out, or are they mostly empty?

6. We read that PV is quiet, and we're not too excited about it. We want to be somewhere that feels alive and vibrant. We don't consider people talking and laughing, or kids playing to be "noise". What are your thoughts on this?

7. How many recesses do kids in elementary schools have? How long are they?

8. How big are the classes?

9. What are the options for preschool?

10. What are the most desirable streets?

11. Are there different neighborhoods within PV? What are they like?

We know this is a lot to answer, but whatever input we can get is greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 10:37 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,659,179 times
This should be in the Kansas City forum -- Prairie Village (which is a great, walkable suburb btw) is definitely part of the Kansas City metro.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:48 PM

Oh, I thought I had posted it on the Kansas City Forum. How can you delete a post? Sorry, I'm still learning about how this works!

Old 02-11-2019, 11:32 PM

5,067 posts, read 8,516,835 times
What’s your approximate price range for a house?

Old 02-12-2019, 12:27 PM

$300k max.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:32 PM

5,067 posts, read 8,516,835 times
Looking at reecenichols.com - my favorite real estate website, there are currently 6 houses for sale under $300,000 in zip code 66208, which most of Prairie Village is in. Some of Prairie Village is in 66207, but a lot of that is Overland Park.

I’m curious why you selected Prairie Village, or did someone just tell you “you’re going to want to live there.” The reason I ask is PV is somewhat pricey for what you get, compared to other Johnson County cities. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a wonderful place - I lived there in high school - but you’ll get more bang for your buck if you expand your horizons somewhat.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:17 AM

We selected PV because my sister-in-law, who lives in Shawnee, recommended it to us. She first recommended Brookside because it's a lot like where we are now, but the school situation would be a problem for us. That's why she then thought PV would be a good fit. We've read extensively about Kansas City and the different neighborhoods, and it seems like she is right. The cost of living in PV is almost the same as Mt. Lebanon (our current location), except that PV homes are much younger -our home is 85 years old! But we moved here for the lifestyle, not for the house itself, and we never regretted it. We feel like the great quality of life we have outweighs the fact that the house is old and far from perfect.

However, like I said before, we're still in the research phase so we're not closed to other suggestions. If you have any other ideas, we'd love to hear about it! Thank you so much for mentioning reecenichols.com. We'll definitely use it!

Last edited by PittsburghFans; 02-13-2019 at 09:09 AM..

Old 02-13-2019, 08:50 AM

1,327 posts, read 1,198,284 times
Quick question for the OP: What part(s) of the metro do your relatives live in? Is it just your sister-in-law in Shawnee, or are there others?

Old 02-13-2019, 09:07 AM

My brother-in-law lives in Lenexa. My parents-in-law just bought some land in Shawnee as well. Some other relatives live in Oletha. But we don't see ourselves living in any of those areas :/

Old 02-13-2019, 01:22 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,198,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghFans View Post
My brother-in-law lives in Lenexa. My parents-in-law just bought some land in Shawnee as well. Some other relatives live in Oletha. But we don't see ourselves living in any of those areas :/
That helps, though, because it would probably rule out some otherwise-very-nice places like Lee's Summit, Blue Springs or anywhere north of the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City