U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 8,657 times

Advertisements

My husband got a job working in Kansas city Missouri and will be working in the areas of Gladstone, North Kansas city, Oakview, Riverside, Liberty, Independance, pretty much all over that side of Kansas city

Both my husband and I have never been to Kansas city, right now we are living in Central texas, though before texas (living with inlaws right now) we lived in San Diego while my husband was in the Navy.

We are used to living in Military housing, so we love the community feel and are really looking for something like that.
Right now we are going to rent first, and looking in the range of $800-$1200.00, and then hopefully in a year would like to eventually buy a house.

My husband and I have a two year old and a six month old, so very soon we will be looking in to pre-k and such for our two year old (turns three in November), so schools are pretty important.

So any help with information would be more then appreciated!!

Also we should be coming to Kansas city Missouri with in a couple of weeks to check the city out, anyone know of any good realesates?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 10:53 PM

11,005 posts, read 20,685,044 times
Man, this forum is starting to become a full time job!

OK, sounds like I can at least narrow this down to the Northland!

“community feel”….. well, I’m going to assume you want to stay in the suburbs and not get too rural.

North Kansas City is the first place that comes to mind. It has an amazing downtown and some great old neighborhoods and new ones too. The new neighborhoods are “new urbanism” which is like row houses etc. NKC is the little town just north of Downtown KCMO. You will have to look at a map to understand, but KCMO surrounds NKC on all sides. Most of the Northland is actually KCMO, not NKC. Confused? NKC is great, low taxes, good schools (if that’s an issue), great community center and just a couple of miles from downtown KCMO with quick access to all of the greater Northland area.

Here is a link to Northgate Village (the new area in NKC)
Welcome to Northgate Village ::A Hunt Midwest Community::

You would probably like Liberty as well. Although it’s a further out suburb, it has more of a community feel to it than most suburbs. With all the new strip malls and big boxes, there is still something about Liberty that says “charm”. Lots of history, a nice downtown etc.

Across the interstate from Liberty in KCMO you have the Shoal Creek Valley which is probably the fastest growing area in all of metro KC. You will find every housing type you could dream of here, but you might look into their new urbanism stuff as well for a more “community” minded development
Carma Community, Shoal Creek Valley :: The Village

Parkville is another place you might like. It’s smaller, but growing fast. One problem with Parkville is that most of the new housing there is high end stuff. It’s either junk or 350k and up. But it’s a neat area with a destination downtown.

Those come to the top of mind mind. But the Northland really offers any kind of living that anybody would ever want from urban condos in Briarcliff to typical suburban homes that are going in like nuts along Highway 152.

If you are going to do apartments first, I would probably stick to the I-29 corridor. That’s where most of the nicer apartment places are.

The crossing is nice near Zona Rosa
The Crossing - Home

The Province near Briarcliff Village
Briarcliff Development (http://www.briarcliffkc.com/apts.htm - broken link)

The Zona Rosa apartments if you want to be right in the middle of tons of shopping and dining
The Lofts At Zona Rosa :: Home

But there are lots more all over the northland.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by kcmo; 04-11-2008 at 11:04 PM..

Old 04-11-2008, 11:01 PM

543 posts, read 2,119,538 times
Definitely stay in the north part. Great schools north of the river,Public and parochial.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:11 PM

11,005 posts, read 20,685,044 times
Silly me, I see that you have a young one! So condos and stuff are probably out. But I would still try the new urbanism developments I mentioned which have single family homes (shoal creek and Northgate).

If you are looking to rent a home, I would look around the North Oak and 152 area, the I-29 corridor from 64th to Barry and the Liberty area.

You might also try Gladstone where you will probably find a nice older home to rent in a nice area.

If you end up going with a more traditional single family home, I would drive HWY 152 between Tiffany Springs and Liberty and just get off any every exit and drive around. There are so many new homes in that corridor it will take you months to take it all in.

You really can't go wrong with schools in the Northland. Park Hill, NKC, Platte and Liberty are all good districts.

Good luck!

Old 04-12-2008, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 8,657 times
Thankyou so much!!! that certainly answers my questions, we are going to be driving up to Kansas city, MO on Monday and will be house/apartment hunting this week. We found a free apartment rental advisor who is going to be helping us as well, which is pretty bloody awesome!!

Both my husband and I like the look of some of those links that you posted for us, and are looking in to it. We also don't mind rural areas to, considering before living here in the states I used to live in a pretty rural area in Australia lol!

Either way though, thankyou again for your help, and if you think of anything eles PLEASE do not hesitate to post it because we need all the help we can get

Old 04-16-2008, 06:07 PM

144 posts, read 513,254 times
I attended school in the NKC School district and am proud to say so. Now that I am a teacher, I feel like I had many great opportunities there that most other people I know, did not have. My elementary years were much more cultured than anyone else I know (including my own students down here in SW MO).

I have family in Liberty, Kearney, and NKC. I don't hear too many complaints about school from them. Just stay north of the river. The KC school district is a mess.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:27 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,145,027 times
I have 2 sons and we are in the park hill school district and I am impressed. We just moved here in January and so far everything has been very good. The Park Hill school district covers Parkville and certain areas of Kansas City, MO. There might be others but those are the 2 I know of. Not sure if Gladstone is in the Park Hill District.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:35 PM

5,763 posts, read 10,093,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
I have 2 sons and we are in the park hill school district and I am impressed. We just moved here in January and so far everything has been very good. The Park Hill school district covers Parkville and certain areas of Kansas City, MO. There might be others but those are the 2 I know of. Not sure if Gladstone is in the Park Hill District.

Gladstone is in the NKC school district.

I grew up in Gladstone and feel it is one of the best places to raise a family in the KC area. I live in KC about a mile outside of Gladstone and couldnt imagine living in any other area of KC.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,136 times
Default Hey military friend

We just moved here last year from Texas and my husband is also in the military. We did a lot of research and decided to buy in North Kansas City just off of 152 and Shoal Creek Parkway. It is a great area with Liberty schools and I love, love, love my new neighbors! I think this area is beautiful and offers easy access to many of the highways, great shopping with large clean stores, and very friendly caring people. Once you move here you will never want to leave.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:28 PM

448 posts, read 1,319,167 times
I also agree with suggestions of North of the River. It will be convenient for your husbands job, plus you get more for your money than in most areas. I suggest you look in Liberty and Parkhill school district. They are the top districts in the area on the MO side and you will be pleased with the education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or