Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2019, 11:32 PM

17 posts, read 13,037 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are considering moving to Liberty MO this summer from out of state. My dad lives there. It seems like a great town. The schools are supposed to be excellent. Which elementary schools are the best? Specifically if anyone has good or bad experiences with IEPs there. My son has adhd and will have an IEP. We want a school to try to help us get his grades up so we don’t have to have him on an IEP. Also, we would consider moving to the Kansas Side. Maybe Overland Park. I have a sister that lives Leawood and that is too expensive. Our budget is around 300-450K. We would like about a 4 bedroom newer home. How would this be budget wise for that area or maybe someone could recommend another area. Excellent schools being the key. How does the Kansas side compare with Liberty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 08:10 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
Will anyone be commuting to work? If so, what general vicinity? Or need close proximity to KCI?

When looking at Liberty, be aware there are lots of homes in Kansas City, MO that are within the Liberty School District. Zip codes 64157 and 64158 would have many new/newer homes in your price range. You might also look in the Park Hill District north of the river in Platte County.

Sorry I can’t help with more specific school info.

Luzianne - your turn.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:28 PM

264 posts, read 250,002 times
Not sure about elementary schools but Liberty and the Park Hill school district can stack up fine with the ones in Johnson County. I myself am an alumni of Park Hill and graduated in 2016. You'll probably get more bang for your buck house wise up in the Missouri side but that budget is definitely within range in Overland Park. In my opinion, the schools are pretty equal when considering between Shawnee Mission, Blue Valley, Park Hill, Liberty, Staley/Oak Park in NKC school District though you will see Blue Valley get touted alot as being the best. It's a wash still though for being top quality schools. Therefore, you should consider other factors like commute times, proximity to amenities, and what not.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:01 PM

46 posts, read 71,110 times
To me it kind of depends on where you expect to work. OP offers pretty good access to Downtown and everything south of the river. Liberty offers good access to northland and everything south to about the Plaza. You wouldn't want to commute from Liberty to Corporate Woods in OP for example.

Just my opinion and I didn't grow up here in KC area but I much prefer south of the river. Park Hill and Liberty are nice areas, don't get me wrong but I'd prefer to live in OP or Lee's Summit. (I currently live in Waldo). Liberty has really bad traffic issues (for KC), Kansas Ave (MO 152) has almost all the east-west traffic condensed on it and if you buy in east Liberty and have to get to I35, I think that can be a challenge (maybe its not, I don't know bc I've never lived there just an observation from working in that area for several years). Parkville is really pretty and all but I just feel like south of the river has more food and stuff to do at your fingertips.

Funny thing about districts is Blue Valley or Shawnee Mission East people will act like their schools are far superior. Liberty and other MO side districts will act like they are at worst even with the best of KS side. I think they are all pretty comparable but Blue Valley and Shawnee Mission East carry the most prestige locally imo.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:35 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
^ yea, but they are going to fix 152!

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rty+152+bridge

Old 05-16-2019, 07:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
I worked for years in a private behavioral placement that worked extensively with metro school districts on referrals. Working closely with their special ed program, I have to say they were one of the best metro districts I worked with. Top two or three, for sure, in terms of special ed, and they have been for a long time. My husband's cousin has autism, and being 50-ish, his schooling was done at a time when autism was often poorly addressed in public school. But Liberty was so good with him, even then, even before autism interventions were on the radar, that my husband's aunt and uncle actually lived apart for a time so he could continue to attend school there (uncle was KCMO PD, and was required to live in city limits).

Old 05-19-2019, 07:53 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,442 times
Liberty schools are fine. Several of my co-workers raise their kids there. Some Kansas City, Missouri addresses will put you in Liberty schools as well. You'll get a lot of space for your house budget up there.

As far as school programs go, one of my best friends specifically chose Park Hill School District for his son with autism. This is in the Platte County side of Kansas City, Missouri. I only bring it up if you haven't considered it. House budget would be about the same, though there are some really fancy neighborhoods (my former general manager lives in a million-dollar home in that area).

If you choose Johnson County, Kansas (where I live), you can't go wrong with any school district here.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:57 PM

17 posts, read 13,037 times
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City