Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 07:32 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times

Advertisements

I haven't lived in KCMO in a long time, like 30 years ago. I'm wondering if the winters have changed. I don't recall them being particularly harsh or long, but my recollection that far back might not be accurate.

In the last 5 years, what have winters been like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 07:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I've been here 12 years.

I moved from the upper Midwest, so the winters are far milder than those I've spent most of my life experiencing, even at their most annoying. They have been predominantly mild, in my opinion. There have been outlier years. The winter of, I think, 2010-2011, I was teaching, and I know we had something like 14 snow days between January and February. This past winter was somewhat annoying because of cancellations for weather that stretched out intermittently throughout the winter. But mostly, it's still pretty mild by my standards.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:11 PM

264 posts, read 250,400 times
It's sporadic. Some years barely any snow at all and others the opposite with snowstorms even appearing in March. However, I think as the years roll by, the winters here will get gradually more severe with the storms. Not claiming to be a meteorologist or fortune teller but that's just the trend I feel is going to happen.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:31 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Some years the weather is pretty mild all winter with little snowfall; other years cold and snowy. There have been years that I have worn a T-shirt outside on Christmas Day (many years I have done that on Thanksgiving Day) and other years that we couldn't get out the front door because of snow drifts.

In 2010-2011 I remember having a lot of snow. Then one day in mid February the sun came out, everything melted, and winter was over just like that.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:46 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Mild, not very northern feeling, and a general lack of any consistent cold or snow cover. However, they are horribly aggravating with sizable temperature swings and wind. Summer weather in KC is generally brutal compared to winter.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:33 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,371 times
I believe the 30-year average for snowfall is 18". This winter we had around 28" of snow. But the previous three or four winters I don't think we had more than five inches of snow.

The lowest temperature this past winter was -7 (F), which is dangerous, but nothing like what you would see farther north.

The wind is what gets you.

I have my own thoughts on where the plains climate is going, but not based on any scientific study.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:16 AM

654 posts, read 631,125 times
Anything from a moderately severe winter by temperature or snowfall, see 2011, 2013, 2019 to a mild, almost southern winter, see 2000, 2007, 2012. I think in the winter of 1999-2000, the lowest temperature all winter was 14 above, and that was only one night. I know I saw some annual flowers that never died on the plaza in late Feb of 2000. In 2013-2014, we had the polar vortex and seemingly had single digit morning lows almost every morning from the week after Thanksgiving to Valentines day, so it is kind of a crapshoot. Basically it's not Canada, or the deep south, but it can kind of resemble any state in between depending on the year.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:23 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
I live in the St. Louis area, and it always seems like KC gets the worst of whatever winter weather there is, and then it kind of fizzles out (mostly) by the time it gets to the St. Louis area.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:19 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
I believe the 30-year average for snowfall is 18". This winter we had around 28" of snow. But the previous three or four winters I don't think we had more than five inches of snow.

The lowest temperature this past winter was -7 (F), which is dangerous, but nothing like what you would see farther north.

The wind is what gets you.

I have my own thoughts on where the plains climate is going, but not based on any scientific study.
Minus 7?? During the polar vortex this past January, here in SE Michigan, the wind chill reached minus 38! That was cold, Minnesota cold. Broke all kinds of records around here.

Maybe minus 7 was KCMO's end of January polar vortex. I think the vortex impacted states as far south as Texas.

Yes, it's the wind that's the killer, and also how bad the roads are. If roads are cleared fairly promptly and reasonably well, it's a much "better" winter, even with some snow and ice.

How does KCMO do in terms of road maintenance in the winter? Do they have lots of salt trucks, or do things kind of close down?

Old 07-15-2019, 08:04 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Minus 7?? During the polar vortex this past January, here in SE Michigan, the wind chill reached minus 38! That was cold, Minnesota cold. Broke all kinds of records around here.

Maybe minus 7 was KCMO's end of January polar vortex. I think the vortex impacted states as far south as Texas.

Yes, it's the wind that's the killer, and also how bad the roads are. If roads are cleared fairly promptly and reasonably well, it's a much "better" winter, even with some snow and ice.

How does KCMO do in terms of road maintenance in the winter? Do they have lots of salt trucks, or do things kind of close down?
We were fortunate only to receive a glancing blow from the broken polar vortex this year. -7 was bad (wind chill I think was -12 to -18), but in no way compared to what happened in Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and northern Illinois this past winter.

Road maintenance depends on your jurisdiction. Kansas City, MO takes a long time, and publicly complains about the number of miles needed to be cleared. Each city in Johnson County, Kansas has its own street clearance, no matter how small, so they typically clear roads quickly. Again, I think we were fortunate that most of our snow seemed to fall at night this winter... and the biggest snow event occurred on a Saturday morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City