U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 08:57 AM

17,047 posts, read 22,333,312 times

Advertisements

I will always root for a club whose owner Lamar Hunt was the creator of the American Football League. When the league first started it was quite clear that the teams at the start with the shakiest finances were the Denver Broncos and the New York Titans, later to be renamed Jets.

Keep in mind the Chiefs were originally known as the Dallas Texans. And after drawing crowds in the 25-30 thousand range in 1961 saw their attendance dip basically in half by 1962. Another club in serious financial trouble was the Oakland Raiders, the Raiders before Al Davis that is. Though his club won the 1962 AFL Championship over the Houston Oilers he looked at the attendance figures for his club and decided that Kansas City would be the best fit for relocation.

Mr. Hunt had the blueprint for how the league would be started, and then survive. The trophy for the winner of the AFC Championship game bears his name for a reason.

Getting to the game, the Vegas line was KC by one but there were plenty of talk media yakheads who thought the Chiefs didn't have a prayer and the one I single out the most is Skip Bayless. When the Chiefs got down by two scores they didn't panic and what they did is what they did with the previous playoff games and that is to come back from two scores down in the 4th quarter. Andy Reid is the perfect fit for this club, he has a great relationship with his quarterback, for that matter the rest of the club too. Right now the quarterback/receivers combo of Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins, and Patrick Mahones are way out in front of the other clubs in the league. And if KC can keep this group intact with the age of free agency they will be back to the Super Bowl again. And again.

Congratulations to the Kansas City Chiefs for winning SB-LIV!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 10:11 AM

8,147 posts, read 3,971,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I will always root for a club whose owner Lamar Hunt was the creator of the American Football League. When the league first started it was quite clear that the teams at the start with the shakiest finances were the Denver Broncos and the New York Titans, later to be renamed Jets.

Keep in mind the Chiefs were originally known as the Dallas Texans. And after drawing crowds in the 25-30 thousand range in 1961 saw their attendance dip basically in half by 1962. Another club in serious financial trouble was the Oakland Raiders, the Raiders before Al Davis that is. Though his club won the 1962 AFL Championship over the Houston Oilers he looked at the attendance figures for his club and decided that Kansas City would be the best fit for relocation.

Mr. Hunt had the blueprint for how the league would be started, and then survive. The trophy for the winner of the AFC Championship game bears his name for a reason.

Getting to the game, the Vegas line was KC by one but there were plenty of talk media yakheads who thought the Chiefs didn't have a prayer and the one I single out the most is Skip Bayless. When the Chiefs got down by two scores they didn't panic and what they did is what they did with the previous playoff games and that is to come back from two scores down in the 4th quarter. Andy Reid is the perfect fit for this club, he has a great relationship with his quarterback, for that matter the rest of the club too. Right now the quarterback/receivers combo of Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins, and Patrick Mahones are way out in front of the other clubs in the league. And if KC can keep this group intact with the age of free agency they will be back to the Super Bowl again. And again.

Congratulations to the Kansas City Chiefs for winning SB-LIV!!
Before I rep you for this, let me note that in addition to the crowd at Big Charlie's Saloon in South Philly, many of the denizens of Iggles Nation were pulling for the Chiefs on Super Bowl Sunday. Andy Reid was as beloved a coach in Philly as the last ex-Eagles coach to go on to lead the Chiefs, Dick Vermeil*, and many Eagles fans felt he finally deserved the Super Bowl ring he failed to bring home to Philly.

Besides, Travis Kelce has an Eagle for a brother. And Jason got much love here for leading the crowd in the Eagles' victory celebration in an in-your-face song about our city:

"We're from Philly
F**kin' Philly
No one likes us
We don't care..."

*Behind the bar at Big Charlie's there's an Emmy statuette amidst the liquor bottles. That trophy went to NFL Films for the documentary it made about the bar, focused on Vermeil's visit to it as Chiefs head coach.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:22 AM

13,718 posts, read 16,747,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietInKC View Post
I actually did not think about that. Makes me doubt the attendance numbers now. I just thought since it's the Chiefs and not the Royals this time, people would go through all that again and perhaps be done with it if either team win the coveted trophy in the future. I'm slow so I just read the dude in Lawrence tested negative for the virus so it probably won't be a factor.
Local news stations are showing the crowds that have already formed. They started showing up by 5:00 am and there's a sea of red. And it's snowing.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:15 AM

15,971 posts, read 8,211,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That happened on a flight I was on the Sunday before the Super Bowl. I was flying in from Miami (wishing I had been in Miami a week LATER) and the pilot/flight attendant both commented on the Chiefs being in the Super Bowl and said "Welcome to Kansas." My husband said, "If we're landing in Kansas, something's wrong..."
That had to be pretty scary having to do an emergency landing.

Is everyone ok?

Old 02-05-2020, 12:29 PM

13,718 posts, read 16,747,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monative34 View Post
that had to be pretty scary having to do an emergency landing.

Is everyone ok?
Ha!

Old 02-05-2020, 02:12 PM

17,047 posts, read 22,333,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Before I rep you for this, let me note that in addition to the crowd at Big Charlie's Saloon in South Philly, many of the denizens of Iggles Nation were pulling for the Chiefs on Super Bowl Sunday. Andy Reid was as beloved a coach in Philly as the last ex-Eagles coach to go on to lead the Chiefs, Dick Vermeil*, and many Eagles fans felt he finally deserved the Super Bowl ring he failed to bring home to Philly.

Besides, Travis Kelce has an Eagle for a brother. And Jason got much love here for leading the crowd in the Eagles' victory celebration in an in-your-face song about our city:

"We're from Philly
F**kin' Philly
No one likes us
We don't care..."

*Behind the bar at Big Charlie's there's an Emmy statuette amidst the liquor bottles. That trophy went to NFL Films for the documentary it made about the bar, focused on Vermeil's visit to it as Chiefs head coach.
There were a lot of Eagle fans in Andy's corner regarding not only the super bowl, but everything else. Andy took over from Ray Rhodes who led the Eagles to a 3-13 season in 1998. In two years time he got Philly to an 11-5 record and had a solid run of NFC Championships and one super bowl appearance, and the Eagles played the New England Patriots tough, finally losing to the Patriots 24-21.

2012 was his last season as the Eagles head coach and he started that season with something that makes football feel very small-the death of his son. His oldest son Garrett had struggled with drug abuse for years. Andy got an awful lot of support from people all around the league, especially from the Green Bay Packers, where he had been an assistant coach to Mike Holmgren. He finished the 2012 season with 4-12 and pretty much everyone new that would be the end of his tenure with the Eagles organization. The Eagles lost 11 out of their last 12 games.

I've lost 2 dear friends to drug abuse but never a son to one. I can't imagine what Reid went through as the death had occurred only a few days into the 2012 training camp.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
There were a lot of Eagle fans in Andy's corner regarding not only the super bowl, but everything else. Andy took over from Ray Rhodes who led the Eagles to a 3-13 season in 1998. In two years time he got Philly to an 11-5 record and had a solid run of NFC Championships and one super bowl appearance, and the Eagles played the New England Patriots tough, finally losing to the Patriots 24-21.

2012 was his last season as the Eagles head coach and he started that season with something that makes football feel very small-the death of his son. His oldest son Garrett had struggled with drug abuse for years. Andy got an awful lot of support from people all around the league, especially from the Green Bay Packers, where he had been an assistant coach to Mike Holmgren. He finished the 2012 season with 4-12 and pretty much everyone new that would be the end of his tenure with the Eagles organization. The Eagles lost 11 out of their last 12 games.

I've lost 2 dear friends to drug abuse but never a son to one. I can't imagine what Reid went through as the death had occurred only a few days into the 2012 training camp.
Can't rep you twice today. I'd forgotten about Reid losing his son.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:31 PM

7,560 posts, read 7,138,068 times
I am so happy for Andy Reid!!!!

Old 02-06-2020, 08:41 AM

11,010 posts, read 20,848,169 times
Never thought I would see the Royals AND the Chiefs win championships and they both did it within five years of each other.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Never thought I would see the Royals AND the Chiefs win championships and they both did it within five years of each other.

God bless Clay Chastain!

(Kansas City's favorite transit bĂȘte noire, who no longer lives there, also played a key role in restoring Union Station to its original 1914 splendor.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City