Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 03:20 PM

8 posts, read 15,554 times

Advertisements

I live in Tennessee but my 3rd great-grandfather is buried in the old Jones Cemetery in Atherton. Does anyone out there know where this cemetery is located? It's in the Independence area. I need directions from I-435 if at all possible. I have an uncle that lives off of Winner Rd & I-435, just off of Independence Ave. I would appreciate some directions if at all possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 08:41 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,472,751 times
A tough question indeed! The Jones Cemetery does not appear on any of the online maps I checked, nor is it on my Jackson County map. But we can't let a little thing like that stop us.

FindAGrave.com does list the cemetery, with some 102 interments. However, it does not give a location.

Find A Grave: Jones Cemetery

But the Jackson County Government website does give the location. Here is a screenshot...

The cemetery property is heavily wooded and does not appear to have an entrance road. Here is a link to Bing maps showing the location. From this you can get directions from your uncle's house. Winner Road at I-435 is also US 24 Highway, which you'll take east through Independence.

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2015, 09:22 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,762,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
A tough question indeed! The Jones Cemetery does not appear on any of the online maps I checked, nor is it on my Jackson County map. But we can't let a little thing like that stop us.

FindAGrave.com does list the cemetery, with some 102 interments. However, it does not give a location.

Find A Grave: Jones Cemetery

But the Jackson County Government website does give the location. Here is a screenshot...

The cemetery property is heavily wooded and does not appear to have an entrance road. Here is a link to Bing maps showing the location. From this you can get directions from your uncle's house. Winner Road at I-435 is also US 24 Highway, which you'll take east through Independence.

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Good luck!

This map should get you there

Chuckle, I was working on this at the same time MAD was. Here is some additional information:

From I-435 follow US 24 (a segment is Winner Road and then Independence Ave) east through Independence about seven miles to M-291 Highway and go north. Both 24 and 291 are four lane highways.

Follow M-291 north for two miles to Courtney Road. Turn east. All the roads are paved. The designation of "Cobbler" is a railroad only designation.

From that point see the map.

Let us know how you did.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:51 AM

Thanks for digging. I knew it was a tough question going in I'm a volunteer on *** myself so it's the first place I checked. I googled it and found a post from a genealogy site where a man stated that he had been to this cemetery Feb 2014. Here is what he said:

"The cemetery is not on private land. It is difficult to reach the cemetery as you have to climb a steep hill just west of the railroad tracks on Atherton- Courtney Road. I was there looking through the graves about 2 weeks ago. The cemetery is in dire need of a cleaning as there are fallen trees and much brush growing among the grave sites."

Out of the 102 listed in the cemetery on *** there are only 11 with pics of the headstones. If I can find this place I intend to photograph all of the stones and add them to the memorial pages. I figure that I'll have to walk the entire cemetery anyway to find my Josiah E.G. Hays. Since the cemetery is so hard to get to I think those stones need to be photographed before it's too late. I wish this man that was bragging about being there last Feb would have taken the pics as that sure would have been most convenient... lol

I appreciate you guys checking into this for me.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:53 AM

Ha, I was just using the initials for Find A Grave. Apparently the system thought that was politically incorrect.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:20 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,762,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylou2you View Post
Ha, I was just using the initials for Find A Grave. Apparently the system thought that was politically incorrect.
When you are finished with your project would appreciate if you could post a photo or two of the general area containing the cemetery. I have driven by there a number of times, mostly in the 50s but also a couple years ago. I was never aware of a cemetery there.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:38 AM

Evidently the last burial in this cemetery was in 1945. My Josiah Hays was buried there in 1906. The majority of the graves are from the mid to late 1800's. I have fulfilled 545 headstone photo requests on Find A Grave at cemeteries here in TN so I have been to some pretty overgrown cemeteries... trust me. It sounds like this Jones Cemetery there in KC needs to be photographed in the winter months. I'm not big on beating off the spiders & snakes while tromping around in these old cemeteries. I grew up in Smithville, MO and moved to TN in 1991. I'm glad to have a better idea of where this Jones Cemetery is located. I had it in my head that it was west on Independence Ave. I am going to try to come up there in August for my high school reunion and was planning on going to the cemetery at that time. But... if I do find this place I will post some pics on here so you can see where it is located. Thanks again

Old 03-21-2015, 10:51 AM

PS: I had to laugh when I saw "MAD Anthonie" I am big into genealogy and have dealt with "General Mad Anthony Wayne" He is one of my favorite generals along with George Rogers Clark both of the Revolutionary War era. I had family members taken captive by the Shawnee Indians in 1780 and both of these guys were essential characters in bringing Chief Blue Jacket to his knees. Blue Jacket held my 5th great-grandmother as his captive for 6 years.

PSS: If there is anyone reading this that might know someone that could find this Jones Cemetery, photograph the headstones, and add them to the memorial pages on the Find A Grave website that would be totally AWESOME

Old 03-21-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
PS: I had to laugh when I saw "MAD Anthonie" I am big into genealogy and have dealt with "General Mad Anthony Wayne" He is one of my favorite generals along with George Rogers Clark both of the Revolutionary War era. I had family members taken captive by the Shawnee Indians in 1780 and both of these guys were essential characters in bringing Chief Blue Jacket to his knees. Blue Jacket held my 5th great-grandmother as his captive for 6 years.

PSS: If there is anyone reading this that might know someone that could find this Jones Cemetery, photograph the headstones, and add them to the memorial pages on the Find A Grave website that would be totally AWESOME
At the time I earned the Mad moniker, way back in the days of my youth, I'm sure I had never heard of General Wayne, and can guarantee a comparison to him was not the reason I earned the title. And that is all I have to say about that!

Old 03-21-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I am big into genealogy ...
When you visit Independence for your reunion be sure to allow time to visit the Midwest Genealogy Center. It is one of the best genealogy libraries in the Midwest.

Midwest Genealogy Center | mymcpl.org - Mid-Continent Public Library
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City