U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 12:44 PM

20 posts, read 10,069 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to KC from Michigan. Husband received an amazing offer to work at Saint Luke's Plaza. We have a 15 y/o boy. We visited the area in mid January and the hospital provided us a tour of the area, which I really enjoyed. We were thinking of renting for the first 6-12 months so we could get used to the surrounding areas before picking our "forever" home. I wanted to live near the Plaza or the Light and Power district.... but as I am now understanding, there are not very good public schools near these areas. And unlike where we currently live, we can't pick a different district for schooling than where we live. Where we live is where my son will have to attend school in Missouri. So now I am rethinking where we will be renting. Has to be in Missouri. Prefer only a 30 ish minute commute. I want a NICE area nice choices. I'm not looking for anything that would be considered low income or anything like that. I also need it to be good schools. My son is smart (is currently taking college courses, which I'd like to continue for him) and is a good kid. I don't really want private, but I don't know all of my options. We are coming out in late March to drive around and get to know the area some... but I am trying to plan some things now so we know where to look. Any help would be great! Hubby will be moving out before us as I am waiting for our school year to finish. Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 06:27 PM

13,718 posts, read 16,715,819 times
Prairie Village. Right across the state line, the best high school in the Shawnee Mission District (Shawnee Mission East) and just a 15-20 minute commute to Saint Luke's through Mission Hills and down Ward Parkway. Mission Hills if you can afford it. Or Westwood. All are in Shawnee Mission East area. Many people (doctors included) who could put their kids in private schools choose to live in the Shawnee Mission East area instead.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Prairie Village. Right across the state line, the best high school in the Shawnee Mission District (Shawnee Mission East) and just a 15-20 minute commute to Saint Luke's through Mission Hills and down Ward Parkway. Mission Hills if you can afford it. Or Westwood. All are in Shawnee Mission East area. Many people (doctors included) who could put their kids in private schools choose to live in the Shawnee Mission East area instead.
That school looks beautiful... however we can't live in MO and attend school is KS, correct? Currently how we have his license set up, I think he has to have his primary residence in MO. I will have to double check. Thank you kindly.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:44 AM

11,009 posts, read 20,815,678 times
Check out southern Platte County, like around Parkville, (I-29 and 64th). It's middle class to upscale suburban, great schools and would be about 25-30 minutes drive to St Lukes.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRobinson08 View Post
That school looks beautiful... however we can't live in MO and attend school is KS, correct? Currently how we have his license set up, I think he has to have his primary residence in MO. I will have to double check. Thank you kindly.
Ahhhh, sorry for the misunderstanding. I wasn't sure from your original post if you HAD to be in Missouri.

Then kcmo's suggestion is a good one. I would also suggest Liberty. Great schools and very nice area.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:49 AM

247 posts, read 138,838 times
Will second the Parkville area. It's a great commute with good schools. Park Hill School District is pretty heavy on the AP courses and what not as well as least when I went there which wasn't long ago at all.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:38 AM

Also check out Staley High School. It's a little further in distance, but still about 30 minute commute, and VERY nice area.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:07 PM

37,407 posts, read 46,010,464 times
Liberty or Parkville.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:35 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,195,602 times
Is a private school out of the question? You could pay less in KCMO for just as much house as you'd get in the upscale burbs, and spend more on education. You might break even, with the advantage that your husband would have a short commute and you would live in your first-choice neighborhood. Remember, if your son is 15 he probably has only 2 or 3 years of public education left. You don't want to base your decision for a "forever home" on that. Just splurge on a private education for 2-3 years, and everyone wins, right?

After re-reading the original post, it occurred to me that you may just want to rent (in a good area for public schools) for the remainder of his high school education, then find your dream house after that.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Is a private school out of the question? You could pay less in KCMO for just as much house as you'd get in the upscale burbs, and spend more on education. You might break even, with the advantage that your husband would have a short commute and you would live in your first-choice neighborhood. Remember, if your son is 15 he probably has only 2 or 3 years of public education left. You don't want to base your decision for a "forever home" on that. Just splurge on a private education for 2-3 years, and everyone wins, right?

After re-reading the original post, it occurred to me that you may just want to rent (in a good area for public schools) for the remainder of his high school education, then find your dream house after that.
Yes, That is kind of my thought. At least rent for a minimum of 1 year. We are coming from the forest (of a very touristy town) to the city (Metro). Everything is going to be new and exciting. We may become more city people and purchase land elsewhere for our "escape". Maybe you can recommend some ideas for private schools though? We are going into this very open minded.

Another reason I am thinking of renting the fist year is because we are keeping our Michigan home to take a whirl the vacation rental industry. Before I get a feel for that, I didn't want to have two mortgages. hmmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City