U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 01:33 PM

9 posts, read 7,652 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone, We're going to be relocating to Overland Park from suburban Chicago and need some assistance with the subdivisions in OP. Where we live now, we have neighborhoods and long, winding streets, but no subdivisions. So some questions:

* Are there some that would be better for families with kids, some that are more cosmopolitan/diverse, some that are more friendly to folks who have relocated?
*Do the HOA's host activities for kids and adults?
* Are there areas/subdivisions to avoid?
* Does it "matter" which subdivision you're in or do people generally socialize across subdivisions?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 09:52 PM

2,384 posts, read 2,137,119 times
Hello sir or madam! Overland Park is a large city. It's like a city within a city. Imagine Naperville and Aurora combined, but on a smaller scale. All the school districts are all pretty good. How much do you want to spend? OP home prices range from 200k-$1M if you are buying, but a decent rental can easily be $1200+ (if you need more than 2 bedrooms). What are your basic needs?

Old 06-18-2020, 10:19 PM

2,384 posts, read 2,137,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chijan View Post
Hello Everyone, We're going to be relocating to Overland Park from suburban Chicago and need some assistance with the subdivisions in OP. Where we live now, we have neighborhoods and long, winding streets, but no subdivisions. So some questions:

* Are there some that would be better for families with kids, some that are more cosmopolitan/diverse, some that are more friendly to folks who have relocated?

No - they are all "family" oriented

*Do the HOA's host activities for kids and adults?

Depends - I know mine does

* Are there areas/subdivisions to avoid?

Yes - some of the cheaper apartment complexes are higher crime

* Does it "matter" which subdivision you're in or do people generally socialize across subdivisions?

There isn't much cross sub-division fraternizing happening that I can see, but I am sure that it happens in certain situations

Thanks!

above

Old 06-22-2020, 06:58 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,663,042 times
Overland Park is 99% family-friendly.

The only part I would avoid are the apartment complexes near Shawnee Mission North High School. Some of that is the far northern end of Overland Park, and some of that is the city of Merriam.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:04 PM

9 posts, read 7,652 times
Thank you to all who have responded--this is so helpful.

We're looking for a house south of 435 that is around $500K. We have a child in elementary school so a neighborhood that has kids around that age (as opposed to all high schoolers) would be great. I see that many houses in subdivisions are REALLY close together and the idea of looking out of my window at 300 houses lined up is not appealing, so I think we might want an area with larger lots.

Is there one part of town that is "better" than another? How do Olathe, Stilwell, and Leawood compare?

For anyone that knows Chicago well, we live in the Hinsdale area, so a similar type village/town would be great to find near Overland Park.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:23 PM

21,720 posts, read 38,114,376 times
Quote:

We're looking for a house south of 435 that is around $500K. We have a child in elementary school so a neighborhood that has kids around that age (as opposed to all high schoolers) would be great. I see that many houses in subdivisions are REALLY close together and the idea of looking out of my window at 300 houses lined up is not appealing, so I think we might want an area with larger lots.

Is there one part of town that is "better" than another? How do Olathe, Stilwell, and Leawood compare?

For anyone that knows Chicago well, we live in the Hinsdale area, so a similar type village/town would be great to find near Overland Park.
Look at Leawood north of 435, more selection of wooded larger lots with less of a forced Sunbelt effect commonly found in south Overland Park. Leawood also feeds into the highly regarded Shawnee Mission East High School.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:03 PM

91 posts, read 39,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Look at Leawood north of 435, more selection of wooded larger lots with less of a forced Sunbelt effect commonly found in south Overland Park. Leawood also feeds into the highly regarded Shawnee Mission East High School.
North Leawood. Doesn't south Leawood feed into SMS and Blue Valley?

Old 06-23-2020, 11:01 AM

21,720 posts, read 38,114,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Retiree View Post
North Leawood. Doesn't south Leawood feed into SMS and Blue Valley?
North Leawood bounded along and north of 95th street is SME. A small portion of Leawood south of there to 435 is SMS:

Boundary Map:

https://resources.finalsite.net/imag...ryMap19-20.pdf

Old 06-24-2020, 12:29 PM

13,699 posts, read 16,539,845 times
Leawood would be the most upscale. Stilwell would have larger lots. Olathe is kind of mixed. Some upscale areas, some not upscale areas. Higher crime than Leawood or south Overland Park or Stilwell, but nothing alarming. South of 435/Blue Valley School District is more desirable, IMO. The homes are newer and bigger and Blue Valley School District is rated higher than Shawnee Mission School District.

There are going to be plenty of school age kids anywhere you go in Blue Valley. Most of the subdivisions have a community pool for the people in that subdivision.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:42 AM

758 posts, read 1,022,332 times
Quote:

With that budget, I would look in Westwood Hills, Mission Hills, Mission Woods, northern Leawood, and Fairway, if you want something that feels like Hinsdale. Leawood would offer the largest lots by far. I was going to recommend Countryside too, but a drive though the other day makes me think that the neighborhood has declined a bit since being annexed by Mission. If you're set on south of 435 options that feel like Chicago are far more limited. Construction around Blue Valley West and Southwest is mostly newer, but lot sizes are small and homes are expensive. There are some areas zoned to Blue Valley North in OP and Leawood as well as Blue Valley High that have 30-50 year old trees depending on where you buy. I recall homes with larger lots and trees being around Blue Valley Middle, which is south of BVH.

Last edited by empires228; 06-28-2020 at 12:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City