Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:14 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by awakened321 View Post

Offer still open lol777? got any ideas? I'm from that area and wouldn't mind moving back - I'm looking!
Very little employment there outside of ranching and farming... Mostly all retirees now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,307 times
You're right about that, but that's not a problem - my income is 'remote' work I can do from anywhere.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:06 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awakened321 View Post
You're right about that, but that's not a problem - my income is 'remote' work I can do from anywhere.
If you enjoy really remote areas than go for it
Just don't expect to have very many services or amenities obviously

Old 10-25-2012, 06:05 AM

4 posts, read 13,440 times
We too are looking for a place outside city limits where our pets won't be a problem and there is room for me and aging parents. rent or rent to own. Have some acres about a hour south of branson can trade as well

Old 10-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,615 times
Finding a single family home that rents for no more than $350/month on a minimum one acre lot in KCK or even in a rural area is going to be like finding a free range unicorn.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:20 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,663,665 times
Most of the farm land around Kansas City Kansas was toward the western part of Wyandotte County. That is where most of the development has been. The areas toward the north are hilly but less developed. You would have to look around Piper. There are some pockets of rural land but they are remote between Quindaro Bluffs and Bethel toward the north.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:33 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,923,944 times
Are there really farms in Kansas City, KS? I thought it only had gangs and sprawl? No. Seriously.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:35 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,973,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Are there really farms in Kansas City, KS? I thought it only had gangs and sprawl? No. Seriously.
There's at least one place in KCK where cows are still around, off 435 south of the Legends/Speedway area. There are a handful of horse farms, some even pretty far east. And being that much of KCK is extremely sprawly/leapfroggy, there are pockets here and there in the middle of generally suburban areas where people have goats, ducks, chickens, and stuff like that. I witnessed that recently (had I not known better, by looking around I could have thought I was truly in the country), but already had known that sort of thing exists in KCK. KCK's population is mostly urban and suburban though, with some sub-communties having small-town atmospheres. There are only a handful of truly rural folks left, who are mostly older, and the casual visitor probably wouldn't ever see them.

Leavenworth County is tied pretty closely to KCK and has some farms, but even it is largely exurban. And one would be lucky to find an old farm house w/ land in Leavenworth County, especially anything cheap. Things don't start getting inexpensive until you get to Jefferson and Atchison Counties if a person wants true rural.

Howeer, contrary to Sco's post, I think one could find a house on an acre lot in KCK, even just a few miles outside downtown KCMO cheap. Maybe not $350, but not much more than that either. The thing is, with traditional newspaper classifieds not being what they once were, I don't know how one would find such a property. KCK doesn't even have a full-service, fully-legit local newspaper anymore.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:47 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,869,496 times
From the interstates, KCK looks country from nearly everywhere, not just 435, but most of 70 and 635 too. It's a mix of 1950’s 60's sprawl (much of which is now blight), industry and mostly wooded rural areas with lower income rural culture vs the higher income rural areas of Platte, Jackson, Clay and Johnson Counties.

When driving out to the speedway from downtown KCMO, you drive through a few miles of heavy industry and then it's just very sparsely developed sprawl/country the rest of the way out to Bonner Springs with the small island of more traditional sprawl (that one would find in other suburban areas around metro KC) around the speedway only with very little residential development.

KCK is a very different place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City