Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2007, 08:49 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times

Advertisements

In my travels around KC, apparently we missed the small town of Weston. Location-wise it is perfect; we have been seeking a halfway point between KC and StJo to "crash" at for 6-12 months while we find jobs and then decide on where to buy a house. Has anyone been there; is it as nice as it looks online? Just need a relatively clean and low-crime place for us to stay for a while, with easy commutes to KC and StJo since we don't know where we'll be working yet. (KC is more likely but I love StJo and am hopeful we will find employment there instead.) Also if anyone has any info on apartment rentals in Weston, that would be a huge bonus; the yellow pages online list nothing specifically in Weston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 11:01 AM

9 posts, read 34,754 times
Weston is a little community. They are known for their manufacturing of whiskey and apple cidar. Don't know if there are really any "apartments" there. You might find a apartment in a house or something like that.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:35 PM

24 posts, read 113,769 times
we just drove through and around weston right after Christmas.. AWESOME little town.
I would imagine real estate is high, it just does NOT get much neater as far as small town goes.. close your eyes, walk a block, look around. If it were not for the modern automobiles, you would be back in time 100 or more years. You can walk anywhere in town, but it is tight in there. No buses or rvs for sure. If you can find a place, I bet you wont ever leave.
Cool bars right out of the town proper, and snow skiing a few miles away. Neat antique and small resturants on the "main" street. cool place...

Old 01-30-2008, 09:06 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneevans1 View Post
we just drove through and around weston right after Christmas.. AWESOME little town.
I would imagine real estate is high, it just does NOT get much neater as far as small town goes.. close your eyes, walk a block, look around. If it were not for the modern automobiles, you would be back in time 100 or more years. You can walk anywhere in town, but it is tight in there. No buses or rvs for sure. If you can find a place, I bet you wont ever leave.
Cool bars right out of the town proper, and snow skiing a few miles away. Neat antique and small resturants on the "main" street. cool place...
I like the hilly areas surrounding Weston.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 01-30-2008 at 09:23 AM..

Old 07-02-2009, 12:43 PM

18 posts, read 70,834 times
Default Living in Weston

Weston was a river town but after the Missouri changed course about 150 yrs. ago and left it high and dry, it became a farm town. Platte County was the only county to sell out when the government was offering land parcels because the rolling hills and soil were perfect for Apples. Concurrently tobacco, row crops, swine, cattle, and a distillery contributed to the economy. Many large homes were built prior to the Civil war and are now prized by owners. Now, Weston has become a day trip destination. Gone are the 2 hardware stores, the banks, the post office, gas station, diners, replaced by antique shops and thrift stores. But Weston can bring the Huckleberry Finn out in a person. The river is only a couple of miles down a dirt road, the bluff homes have a view into Kansas and the fine folks in town tend to look out for one another. When I lived there in the 70's a kid stole a riding mower and was ratted out about 5 times before he made it 5 blocks. Snow Creek ski slope supplies Winter fun but the snow and ice can bmake driving tough as Weston is very hilly. I paid $11,000 for my house there in 1974, Average now is closer to $150k but that average reflects newer homes that are out of town. A commute to Kansas City would be tough but the run to KCI airport isn't bad. St. Joseph is a good hour away requiring a drive out to the freeway through Platte City. There's also the river bluff road that's shorter but a bit slower, a relaxing drive to St. Joe. Many of the previous residents left when jobs left and like most small towns, the younger folks can't wait to get out, consequently the town is experiencing real gentrification. If you're a city person or a single & looking, Weston will bore you but if you've got your family and like a small town, you'll never forget the years you spend living in Weston.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Cutesy and touristy. Picturesque. Has several buildings/homes on the National Registry of Historic Places. They do a nice Apple Festival in the fall, and also a pretty popular Irish Festival, also in the fall. Both attract a lot of daytrippers out of KC.

It's the type of town I like, as a rural/small town dweller most of my life, but I recognize that most people my age (early 30s) would not like to live there, just visit. I think it's charming, but if I were a resident, the tourist influx would annoy me. I'm not sure on apartments, but I suspect that, like in many towns of its ilk, looking for houses to rent/houses that have been split into first floor and second floor apartments may be more fruitful than apartment complexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City