Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:43 AM

7 posts, read 27,921 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving back to KC sometime. We lived in Independence and Dh is originally from Blue Springs. We had 2 little girls and then we moved back to my home in WA state. Things are very expensive here---so we are thinking about moving back.
I now have 4 kids. What are the best school districts in the area?
#1 most important---I have 2 children with special needs. I need a district that is excellent for children with autism spectrum disorder (my 6y son is mainstreamed but needs assistance occas). And my 12y has all the learning disabilities, sensory issues, processing issues, etc. and is 6th grade now at a 3rd grade level. She needs very small classes and so does my son.

If we move back, Dh would want northland, because he would have to travel alot. I personally like Lee's Summit, Grain Valley, etc.

Any school districts in the area no matter where they are that are great for my kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 01:55 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,537,180 times
I have a son with an autism spectrum disorder (though still in the early childhood program, only 4 yrs old) and the Park Hill school district has been great. We just moved here in January. That's why we picked up here. We are right outside of Parkville, and a quick trip up 29 to the airport.

I would check into the Park Hill District. So far we are very impressed. You would be looking at Parkville, MO and specific zip codes of Kansas City. Also Platte Woods (though this is a very small area).

Old 05-23-2008, 09:53 PM

543 posts, read 2,310,058 times
Definitely get information on the districts north of the river. I have heard nothing but good about them. Not sure how many different districts there are though. Fort Osage district in the very far eastern section of Independence is supposed to be good too.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:20 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,427 times
Northland is one of the better parts of the city. Lee's Summit and Grain Valley are okay, but both have a bit of a drive to the airport. Liberty and Gladstone are a couple of my favorite towns north of the river. Platte City is nice, too. Parkville is pricier, but has a great little downtown area. All the school districts up there generally get good reviews.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:42 PM

8 posts, read 30,496 times
I live in the Northland, near Parkville, in the Park Hill School District. I relocated here from Colorado and had NO knowledge of the area. We LOVE being close to the airport and I really like this part of town. So much more personality than my perception of Overland Park for example. I feel like I have the amenities of a large town but also the feel of a small town - run into people I know all the time at the library, grocery store, community center, schools, running, etc. And the Parkville area is BEAUTIFUL - trees, hills, horse farms, pumpkin patches in the fall.

I have one son in the school district and think his elementary schools is fabulous. Check out greatschools.net for some school info.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:03 PM

7 posts, read 27,921 times
Thank you all for replying. I have searched all possible internet info on schools. I have always known that northland is better. I used to work at Liberty Hospital, so most of my friends back then were from the north. Even my family practice Dr is from MO and I worked with her at Liberty. She happened to move to my tiny little town here in WA. She wants to move back also and said only the Northland for her also!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:13 PM

63 posts, read 223,231 times
My children have been in the North Kansas City School District (we live in Gladstone north of the river). We are pleased with it, but I truly believe that Liberty and ParkHill will have better programs for you.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:48 PM

8 posts, read 27,474 times
I graduated from the Park Hill school district, and recommend it hands down over any district in the area!
The teachers are great - I still go back to see mine from time to time.
I'm not familiar with special needs specifically, but they have great programs no matter what your situation.
From what I remember our test scores etc were always higher than almost all the schools in the area.
The neighborhoods around the school are great too, safe and just a nice area in general.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:14 PM

4 posts, read 13,432 times
Have you considered Blue Springs? The schools there are consistently rated on the top of the pile - really some of the best in MO through and through. It's got a real school-oriented culture as well. A lot of people moved there for the schools and always vote to improve school funding.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:11 AM

58 posts, read 221,473 times
Default Don't Move To Lee's Summit

I can give you a lot of information on the issues that the State of Missouri has with educating children with autism. I have been researching, advocating, and fighting this issue for three years. Missouri is ranked 48th in the country for education. The department of education has no desire to hold our school districts accountable. The feds came to Missouri and called them the worst case state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City