U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 07:48 AM

9 posts, read 44,791 times

Advertisements

I live in Kansas City but am wanting info on Lee's Summit, which I'm not real familiar with. My friend from my home town of Sioux Falls, SD is moving here next month and will be working at Independence Center. She wants to live somewhere close to that mall and I told her a lot of people say that Lee's Summit is a great place to live. Can someone tell me a little more about the area. She is looking for an apartment. Any recommendations on nice apartment complexes in Lee's Summit. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 20,908 times
Default lees summit okay but blue springs closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maragrigsby View Post
I live in Kansas City but am wanting info on Lee's Summit, which I'm not real familiar with. My friend from my home town of Sioux Falls, SD is moving here next month and will be working at Independence Center. She wants to live somewhere close to that mall and I told her a lot of people say that Lee's Summit is a great place to live. Can someone tell me a little more about the area. She is looking for an apartment. Any recommendations on nice apartment complexes in Lee's Summit. Thanks!
Blue Springs is closer and there are some really nice apartments called Sunnyside Garden Apartments, tell her to check on the web and goodluck. Lees Summit is nice and expensive, also dangerous recently someone was killed there.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 44,791 times
Default Hmmmm!

I find that hard to believe that Lee's Summit is "dangerous". Do you know when and where or even how the person was killed? Just because someone was killed there (especially without knowing details) doesn't necessarily mean that the city is dangerous.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:24 PM

12,282 posts, read 12,334,116 times
I call them as i see them. Lee's Summit is a dangerous place. Not from your common thug either. Go to http://www.freetedwhite.com and read about how this man got railroaded to prison by an assistant prosecutor, a Lee's Summit detective(now a patrolman on daily duty) his wife and his adopted daughter. Basically his wife had an affair with the detective and they got his adopted daughter to say he had molested her several times. The exwife and the dectective are now together.
A shameful blight on an otherwise great little city! Makes me scared to think of going to Lee's Summit but this kind of stuff happens quite often in all of our fifty states. IMO

Old 02-27-2007, 09:15 PM

75 posts, read 97,370 times
Lee's Summit dangerous? Good grief.

Lee's Summit is a nice area, great schools, decent people. The murder case referenced was one of those sensational things that happens in nice places (like Lee's Summit) and no one can believe it happened there.

If you want dangerous in Kansas City you are talking just east/southeast of downtown - try 22-35th and Prospect if you'd like to get shot. We have those kinds of neighborhoods. They are very known, very specific and genuinely dangerous. Drive five minutes away from the area and you will be in a very peaceful, decent neighborhood - and this is probably true of most major metropolitan areas.

But Lee's Summit? There's nothing particulary dangerous or anything about Lee's Summit. It's pretty typical middle class, Midwestern living - nice, your dollars go far, unpretentious - easy living.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:28 PM

12,282 posts, read 12,334,116 times
Lolls; Do you live in Lee's Summit? If so. What is your opinion of the Ted White Debacle?

Old 02-28-2007, 09:12 PM

75 posts, read 97,370 times
Hello - I live in Brookside, but have plenty of friends and family in Lee's Summit.

My opinion on the Ted White case is that false claims of sexual abuse/child molestation during divorce proceedings are disgusting and the parents who make them to gain tactical advantage in family law litigation should be incarcerated to discourage it. I could write books about how I feel about this topic. But this isn't the forum for it.

I cannot stress enough how the Ted White case is not unique to Lee's Summit, nor is it indicative of typical living in Lee's Summit.

Lee's Summit is a very nice place to live.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:09 AM

4 posts, read 29,145 times
Mara,

Lees Summit is NOT a dangerous place, far from it - in fact according to FBI statistics, a USA Today poll and a CBS news report done in 2006 - Lees Summit is one of the 20 SAFEST cities to live in the United States. Also, Lees Summit is on Money magazine's list of the top 100 cities to live in the US, moving in two years from about 80 something on that list to now being at the 44th spot.

I challenge anyone to find a city (in an urban area) with ZERO crime - do your research it doesn't exist.

Lees Summit is a stellar community - bar none - and extremely safe. Children play outside after dark, women jog in the parks at night. AND the best part is Lees Summit is not only safe - it has one of the best school districts in Missouri and the people are friendly! I live in Lees Summit with my three children and I LOVE it! Also Lees Summit is committed to creating a family friendly atmosphere - they recently put a ban on pitbulls and are considering a similar ban on all attack dogs.

When my husband and I first moved here we started in Blue Springs, even though everyone in my family (they grew up in Kansas City) said - go to Lees Summit or don't go. I'm sorry to say - but you can not compare the two at all. Blue Springs is ok, but getting a bit run down, which I think has put a bit of chip on their shoulder. Lees Summit is a little more expensive, but only slightly so. The benefits of the living environment are so worth it - and unlike Blue Springs, every neighborhood in Lees Summit is appreciating and growing. 12 years ago Lees Summit had a population of 66k and now has grown to over 90k. Retailers are DYING to get into Lees Summit.

Now as for your question of apartments since that was the point of your post, there are a few complexes here. The nicest one is AMLI (?) complex near Lees Summit North high school. It has easy access to 291 North - which leads directly to Independence Center (about a 15 minute drive).

Happy hunting! And if you have any doubts visit the area, in a week-end's trip you'll get a good feel for both Blue Springs and Lees Summit.

Susan

Last edited by kcfamily; 03-10-2007 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-30-2007, 06:38 PM

14 posts, read 79,639 times
You have to keep in mind this was not a "random" crime (robbery, muggings..etc.). This was premeditated. That could happen ANYWHERE.

I've lived in Lee's Summit for 15 years and it is HARDLY a "scary" area to be in, drive through...etc. We are VERY quiet here.

I recommend AMLI apartments (Default).

However, I agree that she will probably find more options in Blue Springs, which is also a "decent" area, however, in my opinion, not nearly as safe as Lee's Summit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I call them as i see them. Lee's Summit is a dangerous place. Not from your common thug either. Go to Ted White Found Not Guilty and read about how this man got railroaded to prison by an assistant prosecutor, a Lee's Summit detective(now a patrolman on daily duty) his wife and his adopted daughter. Basically his wife had an affair with the detective and they got his adopted daughter to say he had molested her several times. The exwife and the dectective are now together.
A shameful blight on an otherwise great little city! Makes me scared to think of going to Lee's Summit but this kind of stuff happens quite often in all of our fifty states. IMO

Old 06-30-2007, 07:26 PM

75 posts, read 339,247 times
I too have lived in Lee's Summit for quite a long time. In fact, all my life! My Assistant has also lived here since the late 70's. We both love it here and have a thriving business here due to the # of people that do want to come to Lee's Summit for the school district and overall quality of living that is awesome! And, improving everyday. In addition to the apartments already mentioned, there are several townhomes that can be rented as well. You can find a great place here and most areas of Lee's Summit are less than 15 minutes to Indep. Ctr. Less if you drive like me.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City