Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 8,213 times

Advertisements

Whatsup on this cold thurs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 04:29 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,437 times
Default Unaffordable Santa Rosa, looking at St. Joe!

Well, spring's just around the corner and things should start coming into bloom in KC in a few more weeks.

Let me ask you, since you're back there and I'm out here in Santa Rosa, California: My wife and I are planning on moving back to Missouri in just over a year, and we're seriously considering St. Joseph. It's one thing to obtain information about a certain place from doing research on the Internet, but I don't think it can wholly substitute for word-of-mouth observations and opinions. Have you been to St. Joseph that much, and if I could ask you your opinion of it, that would be appreciated greatly!

It looks like a great place, especially north of I-229. Affordable, nice parks, a lot of great history with the Pony Express and Jesse James, and there's the 26-mile parkway and some nice converted railroad beds that are now biking/walking trails throughout town. I'm going to fly back and visit NW Missouri in September, and get some ideas about housing and work back there. Again, thanks to you and anyone else who reads this for any input on the St. Joseph area you can share with me!

Old 03-04-2007, 11:12 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I have only visited StJo once, last year, and it was adorable. I really like it.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:54 AM

For me, it's looking like St. Joseph is the place to head to. We'll see what happens when I check the area out in September. Christina, I wish you the very best in your relocation; hopefully you'll get some good feedback on your KC area apartment search. From what I've read, it sounds like you wouldn't go wrong in Liberty as a city--it would just depend on the apartment complexes themselves that are located there.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:03 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,514,922 times
I have lived in NYC, ABQ, and all over MO, including KCMO with buisness. Ladies and gents.... I dont know about St Jo, but Joplin or Springfield Mo is the way to go. I have been here for almost 2 years and the cost of living is awsome. Springfield is about 150,000 people but its spread out and a pretty clean city. Joplin is about 50,000 people at night and grows to about 280,000 durring the daytime. Joplin is really spread out. There are quite a few jobs down here as well. If you dont have your heart set yet, check them out a little.

GSD

Old 03-13-2007, 01:02 AM

The kind of work I do would require me to relocate to or near at least an average-sized city at least as populous as Joplin. There's definitely a lot to recommend about Springfield, and it doesn't sound like Joplin would be bad either.

For my wife and I, the rich history, the many older-style Victorian homes, attractive parks, 26-mile parkway greenbelt, city trails system for bicyclists and pedestrians, excellent bus system and freeway infrastructure, and its proximity to the Missouri River and the Kansas City airport are tipping the balance in the direction of St. Joseph as the place for us to live. It would seem that it has only half the population density of Santa Rosa, CA, where I currently live and where traffic on Highway 101 and on the main surface streets is perpetually heavy and even dangerous in places. Good single-family homes in St. Joe start at about $85,000, with many priced well below that amount. Newer homes in St. Joe's eastern section are priced about the same as in much of Springfield--$125,000 to $180,000 and a few McMansions (but at least with decent acreage!) in the $300,000s.

If I find St. Joseph to look unattractive when I visit there in September, or if I can't find good work there or in the north KC metro area, then I do think southern Springfield and Ozark would be our next choice. We would certainly be happy to get in the car and drive down Highway 71 to visit Springfield and Joplin once we get settled back there, and then head east to Mansfield to see Laura Ingalls Wilder's home. That section of U.S. Highway 60 is spectacular to drive along!

Old 03-15-2007, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 8,213 times
Yes I have been to St Joseph- it is a nice suburb small city type area with the "midwest" type of feel to it. I have friends and acquitances that live there but I personally never have. I am much more of a big city type person. I am originally from California so I can compare the two. I am not sure what there is to do "family wise."

Old 04-10-2007, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,830 times
Default StJoMo

Just for some background. I've lived in StJo most of my life, however, I have also lived in LA for almost fifteen years. (Almost anything would beat LA) StJo is a great place to raise good kids. It has an abundance of churches, banks, ballfields, etc...most things a family would be looking for in a place to reside. The best thing about StJo is that the city seems to "finally" be waking up. (Once upon a time StJo was the second largest city in MO) So, if you're an entepreneur your going to find a fertile field for planting your ideas to make money. Because the town has been stifled for so long the people who live here cannot afford prices like on the coast. Overall, the people are wonderful...but then there are always some stinkers any where you go. If you hang out with those kind of people then you're probably going to wind up in the same place as they do. If you seek employment and you cannot fiind it in StJo then KC's only about 40 min. South with a lot in between. (Some commuters in LA were spending anywhere between 45 min. and 2 hrs. one way) The airport located between StJo and KC is in the planning stages for large development so your timing is great. Rent here is way below market, unlike many cities. Buying a home is also great because you get SO much for your money. I've known some folks from CA who moved here and then left only to regret their move out of StJo. As far as entertainment, if it isn't here then it's a short drive to KC. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City